Sign in to follow this  
kirku

RVW's season rating

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Lw3SILhmbcwqNwjvvXYMqZg0SiV0B2TcETtqoHIO0tQ/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

I thought it was interesting to see the responses of the latest Pink Un poll. I nearly created one the other day on a similar topic.

I was shocked to see the broad agreement of our fans on two polls: season ratings and stay/go.

All except for RVW - he really does seem to have split the fan base. I think he was around 45-55 stay/go and this is reflected in today''s poll.

A consensus has been reached for almost every player, apart from Ricky.

I''ve got nothing spectacularly interesting to add, just that I find these stats rather telling.

I think it actually is quite telling. I put stay because I want to see whether it was the tactics that neutered the wolf. If we get a big lump in like ameobi to do all the battling and wolf can feed off that, I feel we will see the best of him. If he left, I would understand why people would be happy but to me it is unfinished business. If we have the big lump with him a league below and he is still rubbish, at least I will have answers. If it goes well, he could be one of those exceptional players we will need to get a top 2 finish.

The facts are that prior to his arrival, RvW was very highly rated and coveted (though you have to ask why we were ''allowed'' to get him) and apparently Sporting rated him around 17m. Us getting him was considered a major coup. None of this fits with what has transpired in the last season.

I think the fanbase is united on the fact that he was cr*p last season. Where the split comes is whether he was cr*p because he is cr*p (which again ignores his previous) or perhaps more accurately he was cr*p because he doesnt suit English football, or whether he was cr*p because we were cr*p. RvW scored lots of goals in a good team. We will most likely be a good team at a lower level. So RvW may well come good.

If RvW is felt to be not suited to English football - ie will never come good, then we are best to move him on. The club will take a loss, so it might be a better financial move to loan him out somewhere more suited to his playing style to help him rebuild his reputation and then sell him at that point, rather than now when his stock is at its lowest.

I think everyone will agree RvW is a good player for other leagues (ie not Prem) at least, but the split comes from whether we need to give him a try now our circumstances have changed and hopefully our tactics, or whether we just move him on and cut our losses. It would seem all agree he was rubbish, but half are willing to persevere and the other half have made their mind up.

Is this the new In/Out debate like we''ve had with Hughton all season?

Jimmy - I think he warrants another season two,  and signing a lump for this league makes sense.

As well as Ameobi the likes of Kenwyne Jones or carlton cole may be options.

And for a spark of a no 10 invention a league down Joe Cole may give us a creative lift