Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Mail - Malky in discussions

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]People mention malkys 72 goals as if its a good thing - over the last 11 seasons only 1 title winner has scored fewer goals...[/quote]
Actually 2 have.
QPR scored 71 in 2011-12
Reading scored 69 in 2012-13
Actually, the last time the highest scorers won the division was in 2009, when Chris Hughton''s Newcastle scored 90 goals on their way to the title...
Seems to have become a trend in recent years that the Champions have a play-off level attack and a top-2 level defence... (although, Leicster have recently broken this, being the 2nd highest scorers in the divison.
You also have to add other factors, Burnley have a two of the best strikers in that division and were still only able to manage 72 goals whilst Mackay''s best striker for most of the Championship wining season was Heidar Helgusson. Nicky Maynard looked a good signing, but was injured before he could really make an impact and Fraizer Campbell would''ve easily been their top scorer had he been there all season.

[quote user="ricardo"]Malky would be a real "Little Norwich" move IMO.[/quote]

Rubbish. He''s not an ex city player with little or no experience of management.

He has successful experience (both as player and manager) of one of the toughest leagues to get out of (a promotion and a play off place as manager, 3 successive promotions as player), has played some good football while there (though getting promoted is impressive in itself) and was imo, unfairly sacked when in the PL.

However forgetting the PL if you want to argue ways of playing and Hughton mark ll, his championship record stands up on its own and I''m pretty sure most clubs in the championship would welcome him if needing a new manager.

Just reading the 2nd paragraph which mentions no names, wouldn''t you want this person as manager?

But no, lets all ignore stats, experience and past success and worry about how we''ll be perceived by everyone else - "oh look, they''ve hired their ex player who''s won the championship and got to the league cup final recently as their new manager - ''little ol Norwich, ain''t they stupid''

[quote user="ricardo"]Malky would be a real "Little Norwich" move IMO.[/quote]I don''t see that. Adams would be, and, if we are talking about mentality, then Hughton was very much little Norwich, despite having no previous link to the club. But Mackay strikes me as a much tougher character.If the argument is that we should go for Lennon it seems to be because he has no connection with the club and is apparently a fiery character. He may be so superficially, but no more than Mackay is in a less overt way.And if we are comparing managerial records, then Lennon effectively doesn''t have one, and would be an unwarranted risk, while Mackay is a proven Championship manager.

This means nothing, we will have a short list of candidates and will interview them (talks) to establish the best candidate for the job, same as any other job in the world.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Malky would be a real "Little Norwich" move IMO.[/quote]I don''t see that. Adams would be, and, if we are talking about mentality, then Hughton was very much little Norwich, despite having no previous link to the club. But Mackay strikes me as a much tougher character.If the argument is that we should go for Lennon it seems to be because he has no connection with the club and is apparently a fiery character. He may be so superficially, but no more than Mackay is in a less overt way.And if we are comparing managerial records, then Lennon effectively doesn''t have one, and would be an unwarranted risk, while Mackay is a proven Championship manager.[/quote]

Of the two I would certainly prefer Lennon.

If it is Lennon I think there would have been some pretty solid leaks by now. Celtic is a big club, and there is a huge amount of media following their every move - they don''t often keep things that secret and the fact their manager is about to leave isn''t something that would pass them by.

Personally, I think it will be Adams + A.N. Other in a DoF role. Which does tie in with something I heard when Norwich played Chelsea about Norwich preparing to offer Adams the job (this came from someone I know who has links to the LMA). I was fairly sceptical at the time, but it seems impossible that there wouldn''t be a stronger leak or media story by now, especially if the club were suppose to be announcing the new man this week.

I have a feeling Malky may end up at WBA

I have a horrible feeling that if we do get Lennon we will end up with someone who alienates players and fans quicker than Roeder. Rather stick with Adams than get Lennon.

Judging by the split in preferences it seems a lot of people won''t be happy with whatever decision is made.

I have to say Adams (my little norwich appointment as Ricarado eloquently puts it) is my least preferred of the names here,  followed by malky and then Lennon.

Reading Bethnals comments about Adams reminds me of a rumour I dismissed that Adams with Zola as Tech director

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

If it is Lennon I think there would have been some pretty solid leaks by now. Celtic is a big club, and there is a huge amount of media following their every move - they don''t often keep things that secret and the fact their manager is about to leave isn''t something that would pass them by.

Personally, I think it will be Adams + A.N. Other in a DoF role. Which does tie in with something I heard when Norwich played Chelsea about Norwich preparing to offer Adams the job (this came from someone I know who has links to the LMA). I was fairly sceptical at the time, but it seems impossible that there wouldn''t be a stronger leak or media story by now, especially if the club were suppose to be announcing the new man this week.

[/quote]McNally said on Monday it would be "within a week". Wth a bit of wiggle room that could easily be the start of next week! Especially if they are sorting out candidates for two jobs rather than one, and trying to make sure the two choices can work together.I would still be very surprised (and disappointed) if it was Adams, given the heavy hint about him being a manager of the future rather than the present. Unless the director of football is going to be much more hands on and effectively the manager, dealing wth tactics and team selection, with Adams as kind of head coach.

I think the club want to announce something tomorrow. I believe the manager is in place (Adams), but they''re just waiting on finalising details with the Technical Director, whoever that is.

Adams will be a disaster of an appointment , most fans have him down as the worst possible choice of those available and would really elevate us to a laughing stock