Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Mail - Malky in discussions

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2628604/Malky-Mackay-talks-new-Norwich-manager-dropping-claims-compensation-against-Cardiff.html

According to the Daily Fail, Malky was edging closer to becoming our manager on Weds night after holding negotiations with DM.

The board claim they want a manager who plays football on the deck but appoint Malky Mackay?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]During Cardiff''s promotion year no striker made it to double figures. Hughton II?[/quote]I knew he was a very defensive manager, but jesus. I think even with hughton we would of had hooper at least at 10 goals in the championship.

The one good thing about this, it is the daily fail. Never knowingly correct in any speculation. Please, I loved Malky as a player but not as a manager.

The mail has no connections within the carra and never gets its NCFC stories right. If Mick Dennis, Charlie Wyett or James Nursey mention something I may take no notice.

The Fail may not have connections with the club, but they may have connections to Malky - he could gain quite a lot from something coming out, for example one of the rumoured PL clubs coming up with a firm offer.

I''m not averse to Malky, I thought Watford played decent football, Cardiff were good in their promotion season (played well v Liverpool in cup final). Using the fact that no player scored >10 in their promotion season as a stick to beat him with is pretty feeble, injuries and so on can always keep these stats lower, and it is more important that goals are scored at all - it is no bad thing if they are shared around.

I''m not very convinced that this is true and I would prefer a more attacking manager as Hughton was defensive. Malky also wants to go back to the Premiership, so I reckon he may be a possibility for West Brom.

Lennon wants the job, although he hasn''t managed in a very competitive league and is supposed to have not been contacted yet

Yet as a team they scored 72 league goals! And the squad they had was pretty poor! When he took over they had 10 first team players so all in all I think they done pretty well to win the league! Burnley had 2 strikers above 20 goals and finished 2nd Leeds had the highest goal scorer and finished nowhere yet Leicester who won the league only had 1 player in the top scorer table! So I don''t know what you''re point is to be honest!

The longer we wait for an announcement, the more I suspect it''ll be a manager currently under contract elsewhere. The board have promised an appointment this week - I doubt it will happen at the weekend, and If we were going for someone who''s unemployed, the deal would probably not take that much time to negotiate. So the longer we have to wait, the more likely we''re chasing someone from another club and it''s being held up by compensation and legal paperwork.. Question is who...?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]During Cardiff''s promotion year no striker made it to double figures. Hughton II?[/quote]

He signed Campbell in January, so the burden was shared. If Campbell was there all season, he''d have been up to 20

He wouldn''t be my favoured appointment but if get behind him.

Suspect this is all posturing for other jobs though, especially in light of the 10 day BS west ham have pulled on big Sam. I suspect the west ham job is the one malky would really like.

Its pretty clear there is a small group of managers who were/are in discussion with the club and Malky is one of them.

Am sure it will all become clear by tomorrow at the latest..

Yes all this mumbo jumbo about Malky being a defensive manager has to be tempered by his record in the championship , his passion and the nature of the Cardiff squad he got promoted (that beat Man City at home)

Cardiff won the championship by 8 points with the joint highest +27 goal difference with a squad he put together. He is the obvious choice if we are lucky enough to get him.

I can''t see any other candidate that comes close.

He was criticised by Cardiff fans for being defensive away true but you have to remember that Cardiff had an absolutely sh*t squad by premiership standards and i think i''m right in saying he actually had them above the bottom 3 at the time he was forced out.

It remains to be seen if that is his natural approach or it was a "horses for courses" approach given what he had at his disposal. I don;t remember Watford being negative and didn''t he have Graham banging in a few goals whilst he was there?

Maybe at Cardiff he just didn''t have the strikers whereas here he will hopefully have Hooper and maybe Becchio along with some decent pace on the wings to supply them.

Of the names I''ve seen mentioned he would still be my choice as a manager in the traditional way, although with a director of football then Howe or Garcia would also sound interesting.I gather at a meeting several months ago McNally made some disparaging comments about Mackay''s suitability, but that was then and this is now. Circumstances have changed a great deal.

Of course there is a chance it will be Mackay. I think there is probably a tug of war going on between Delia/Michael and McNally with him wanting Lennon and them wanting Mackay.

So we will probably end up with Adams

I would rather have Malky than Adams.
And thats all the enthusiasm I can muster on the matter.

At one level I find it inconceivable that the board is seriously considering Neil Adams. However, at another level, given the board''s failure to act last season I suppose anything is possible.

I might have agreed in the Premier League, but not now. I personally think if he would come it would be the only option not to be a huge gamble.

People mention malkys 72 goals as if its a good thing - over the last 11 seasons only 1 title winner has scored fewer goals...