Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

Boucing back from EPL relegation - Interesting read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10826050/How-often-do-relegated-Premier-League-clubs-bounce-straight-back-from-the-Championship.html

Could not see if this has been mentioned...good read.

Shows how important the recruit of new manager will decide on going up again.

It''s hard to look at previous trends now that the TV money has changed so much. Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff all earned more last season than Man U did the season before that.

The extra finance these three teams have could make all the difference - or they might make no difference at all. It''s too early to say.

Looks like Cardiff starting to spend theirs already with the £3M striker bid. We can''t hang about with this appointment as a new striker is our priority and that''s one about to go.

I think people need to take notice of those stats. There seems to be a dangerous, arrogant sort of attitude amongst fans, expecting us to just walk the league or find it easy. It is one of, if not the hardest league to get out of and I think attitude and approach by players and fans is going to be crucial.

Terrible, terrible article that if one of the posters on here had come up with it would have resulted in widespread ridicule. The past is no predictor to the future and today is very different from when these numpties straight out of journalism school started their sample. Try mine:

1) We have a 50% chance of bouncing straight back (based on our four top tier relegation - 2 immediate bounce backs)

2) We will be back within 5 seasons (based on the average of 1, 1, 10, 6)

Truth is no one knows. Will we keep our best players, if we do have they lost that winning mentality under Hughton so do we want too anyway.

There is no reason why we shouldn''t, with our financial advantages if we appoint the right manager and give him the tools for the job

Circumstances change. Now is very different from yesteryear.

The vastly increased money from the PL (merits and parachutes) has turned the situation on it''s head,

Clubs have also leant from past mistakes and have safeguarded against the possibility of becoming a Portsmouth and a Leeds, clubs so burdened with debt and overheads that they only had one way to go.

We  have worked hard to eliminate our debt.

It has been confirmed that all our playing staff will be faced with a reduction in wages.

Useful players like Fox and Surman can be brought back into the fold should they be deemed useful.

The Club has maximised it''s support base and Carrow Road will be a sell-out for each home game.

We remain an attractive enough a prospect which enables entice the managerial talent we consider to be best able to get us back up quickly.

Thanks Chelmsford, I for one find these sort of things entertaining. I must admit though using the past as a guide, especially over such a long period when so many changes have been made, is a bit tenuous.

I tend to look at it that we need to finish above all the following bar one to gain automatic promotion - Derby/QPR, Wolves, Wigan, Reading, Cardiff, Fulham, Blackburn, Brighton etc. However you look at it it ain''t going to be easy.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

It''s hard to look at previous trends now that the TV money has changed so much. Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff all earned more last season than Man U did the season before that.

The extra finance these three teams have could make all the difference - or they might make no difference at all. It''s too early to say.

[/quote]

I find myself wanting to say ''^^this^^'' to most of your posts Bethnal. You have a pretty good objective view on football.

Let''s hope we make the most of our financial clout before it disappears and we''re paupers again throwing poundcoins into blankets as they circle the pitch.

[quote user="BigFish"]Terrible, terrible article that if one of the posters on here had come up with it would have resulted in widespread ridicule. The past is no predictor to the future and today is very different from when these numpties straight out of journalism school started their sample. Try mine:

1) We have a 50% chance of bouncing straight back (based on our four top tier relegation - 2 immediate bounce backs)

2) We will be back within 5 seasons (based on the average of 1, 1, 10, 6)

Truth is no one knows. Will we keep our best players, if we do have they lost that winning mentality under Hughton so do we want too anyway.

There is no reason why we shouldn''t, with our financial advantages if we appoint the right manager and give him the tools for the job[/quote]

Err, no. There have been 5 previous relegation''s from the top tier. 73/74, 80/81, 84/85, 94/95 and 2004/05.We bounced straight back on 3 occasions 74/5, 81/2, 85/6

Complacency is the big worry for me.  When we went down in ''95 we had a good squad and confidently expected to be down for just one season, having failed at the first attempt our squad quality then gradually declined.  Similarly when we went down to L1 I think a lot of the players assumed we''d be able to walk it, hence the 7-1 which fortunately shocked the complacency out of them.

Similarly this season, having spent big in the summer, I think some of the players started to assume they were premier league standard and complacency set in.  In some ways it would have been better if we''d had one of our thrashings (like the 5-0 at Fulham the year before) at the start of the season to jolt them.

For me, the recipe for bouncing back is as follows :

1.   A solid set of CBs who are a class above the usual CB quality for the Champ.  If we have Turner/Bennett as our main CB pairing, this would be good enough.  Bassong would be good enough too but there seems to be a problem there - I think one more solid CB would be needed, and RM can provide cover.

2.   Midfield/Attackers who have a bit of quality but can cope with the more robust approach in the Champ.  Players like Howson, Tettey, Johnson would be excellent, Wes can give you that bit of creativity, as would Redmond/E Bennett on the flanks.  Fox/Surman could contribute as squad players too.  Up front I can see Hooper doing well but we need a new striker in the Holt mould (which we needed last summer too).

3.   A big enough squad to cope with the extra games.  In the Prem you forget how often you play a mid-week game in the Champ.

4.   The squad has got to be motivated to work together.  If the players think they are too good for the Championship, they will fail.