Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Not much on Zola

3rd favourite and seems to have gone under the radar a bit. Chris goreham was just on Radio norfolk (not that he has inside info) but thats who he thinks is going to get the job. Would people be against that.

I honestly think Zola''s career as a manager has passed me by a little and I had very little knowledge of his reputation, so had to go googling.

Extracts from wikipedia:

West Ham United

After a shaky start Zola began to develop a side with a flair not seen in a West Ham side for some years. Zola also received praise for integrating more youth products into the first team. The likes of Junior Stanislas and Zavon Hines were given their debuts. The duo and first team youngsters Jack Collison and James Tomkins all scored their first goals for the club during his tenure.

West Ham struggled in the 2009–10 season. Zola''s position as manager was put in doubt when he revealed he had not been consulted over a bid for West Bromwich Albion player Graham Dorrans and by chairman David Sullivan''s announcement that the entire squad was for sale except for midfielder Scott Parker. West Ham finished in 17th place, only five points above the relegation places. On 11 May 2010, two days after the end of the 2009–10 season, West Ham announced the termination of Zola''s contract with immediate effect.

Watford

In his first season, Zola led Watford to 3rd place and a play-off position, which then saw them progress to the final at Wembley. There, they lost 1-0 to 5th place side Crystal Palace after extra-time.

On 16 December 2013, Zola resigned as Watford manager. At the time of his resignation, Watford were 13th in the league, had not won since October 2013 and had lost their last five home games.

So sacked form WH in obviously a bust up with the board after a respectable if not hugely successful period. While his tenure at Watford ended badly (how many managers end well?) his overall record with Watford is very good win % of 44 despite that horrific run leading up to his resignation.

So experience of Championship and PL - tick.

Prioritised youth players - tick.

Teams were noted to play with attacking flair - tick.

I''m sure there are Zola horror stories that people will recount on here, but as someone with only limited memory of his management he seems a great candidate, on a par if not a much better fit than Lennon or Mackay.

I''ve always like the sound of Zola but it''s a risky move, i wouldn''t take it, plenty of safer options out there.

Monty can you explain what part of his CV is equal to/better than Malky or Lennon. No champions league football, no trophies and no promotions to the Prem or premier league experience.

I''m warming to the idea of Zola as manager more and more. He''d bring an attractive style to our play, and I have a feeling he could bring us some success. He''d be a gamble, no doubt, but whoever we bring in will be. Obviously certain candidates have a better track record than Zola, but I think he''d bring the enjoyment factor back to Carrow Road, which has been missing for the last two years.

I don''t think his CV is better than Malky or Lennon, as I said he seems a much better "fit", would hopefully bring our youth through, be competitive in the Championship and play with the attacking flair many supporters are crying out for.

I really feel this needs to be an ethos appointment, the right guy to bring the club on in the manner the Board wish to see it progress and establish (or reestablish) their vision of the "Norwich way". Of course a candidate with experience of success in the Championship and PL on top of that criteria is preferable to one with none.

He may not have a promotion on his CV or CL football but he does have more (and more successful) PL experience than Malky (or Lennon) and a very decent Championship record.

As I say of all the candidates mentioned he now seems the best Fit from outside the club to me based on Bowketts comments at the end of season dinner.

It''s probably Malky then!