Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

It's almost a year since...

Guys, it''s almost a year to the day since we announced the release of ten squad players.

Simeon Jackson, Korey Smith, Marc Tierney, Elliott Ward and Chris Martin being part of the ten.

Could any of those players have done a job for us this season do you think and who is likely to be released this time around (if any)

I don''t think so. Chris Martin is a decent but Hughton had a habit of taking decent strikers and erasing their ability to score.

Korey wouldn''t have got in front of Fer and Tettey and wasn''t previously getting in front of Howson and Johnson.

The others weren''t BPL standard.

Jackson never really had the strength and ruthlessness to do that well. He had one good 3 months for us and his release was justified. Smith would now be a decent back up in the championship and he''s developed experience now. I''d have him back. Him and Chris Martin are the only two i''d take back though.

Ward''s a good player. The unsung hero, if there was one, of our promotion from the Championship.

Bassong and Turner are better though.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Guys, it''s almost a year to the day since we announced the release of ten squad players. Simeon Jackson, Korey Smith, Marc Tierney, Elliott Ward and Chris Martin being part of the ten. Could any of those players have done a job for us this season do you think and who is likely to be released this time around (if any)[/quote]

Obviously all these players were upgraded at the time so no I don''t think would have done well in the EPL. Obviously in retrospect Martin may have done better than RvW, but there''s way to many ifs and buts. At the time it was right to release them.

Players who I''d like to see return and could do a job next season would be Ward and Martin, as they''re seasoned Championship performers at good ages. Korey Smith you could argue is capable of making the step up now to the Champ.

As for players we will release, who knows. I''d like to think any player who does leave we''d get a good fee for, rather than just letting them go. It does annoy me to see that.