Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How many of you care about Ipswich?

First of all the disclaimers. I am not from Norwich but have supported them ever since I was 8, Im now 32. Im not local, so Im what would be called a plastic. Consequently I have no interest in the local rivalries, and as an outsider have always seen those who take it too seriously as a little bit sad. OK we''re now going to be in the same league as them, but felt that whilst we were in the Premier League, we''d rather outgrown this rivalry. Nothing wrong with a little local rivaly, but I ask how many of you care about Ipswich and consider them relevant?

I went to an FA Cup match once at York with a friend who supported Reading (their opposition). Reading were a Premier League team at the time I think, and yet the Reading fans were obsessed with singing songs about Swindon, who were League 2 at the time I think. As an outsider, I just thought ''sad b*stards'' if Im honest.

So how many of you find Ipswich relevant, and how many of you couldnt give a monkeys?  It seems the team which is considered the lesser of the two is always noisiest about a rivalry. I still maintain Ipswich shouldnt even really be on our radar...

I never look for their results, even when we''re in the same league. They''re just another football team, but they happen to be closer than most. I really couldn''t care less about them. I always think of them as the rough section of East Anglia, whereas Norwich (as a whole) has a lot more going for it.

I''m not really bothered about them since I dont hear much about them living up north. I am more bothered about leeds.

It''s a great derby, almost unique in its ferocity but hardly ever turns violent like the northern morons chanting about aeroplanes crashing and national tragedies.

I wouldn''t be without them, it''s an intricate part of the support.

Hate em'' though.

I Hate them with a passion, and working with two S**m season ticket holders, you would have thought they were promoted this season!!

I used to care about them a lot more.. I don''t at all now.. Whether it''s because I''ve matured or because we''ve distanced ourselves from them in terms of the level of club we are I don''t know.

I pity their fans who spend all their time following us.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I used to care about them a lot more.. I don''t at all now.. Whether it''s because I''ve matured or because we''ve distanced ourselves from them in terms of the level of club we are I don''t know.

I pity their fans who spend all their time following us.[/quote]
I feel pretty much the same, to me they are just insignificant.
They don''t really have rival status any more, they are just a bit pathetic and $hit.

To me it seems we have grown and grown as a club since the 1970''s  to the point where we are a well run and vibrant club with fantastic support that gets 27,000 every week, regardless of what league we are in.  They appear to be just another small struggling club with dubious ownership, struggling to half fill a stadium and millions in debt - and appear to be going nowhere fast.    I care about Colchester and Cambridge more than I care about Ipswich.  If any local clubs are to do well I would rather it be them. 

The signs are that they might not be too sh1t next season sadly. Living in Lowestoft I''m surrounded by their supporters so i guess I care about beating them more than some.

I always have a quick check of their final, and a little smile to myself when they lose.

During my 10 years in exile i have encountered quite a few Ipswich fans and i absolutely love the banter between us, and as a result I want us to be higher in the league structure than they are, and I want us to beat them whenever we play them.

But for me, thats about as far as it goes. I view our rivalry as a bit of fun, rather than any bitterness, hate or spite.

Although Norwich born and bred, I''ve lived away from Norfolk for over 25 years now but having attended a few away games in the west over the past few seasons I''ve been amazed how our support would frequently sing the ditty that end "eff off Ipswich".

It struck me as very parochial given we weren''t in the same league, and I just didn''t get it. Maybe distance and advancing years has had that effect, but even when younger hating Ipswich was sort of learned behaviour - there''s no intrinsic reason why I should dislike them any more than any other club.

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]I always have a quick check of their final, and a little smile to myself when they lose.

I view our rivalry as a bit of fun, rather than any bitterness, hate or spite.[/quote]

This is exactly how I see it and I lived in Felixstowe most of my life, so the majority of my friends supported Ipswich. Most of them are the same, a lot of fun banter of who''s higher and who beat who. The only ones that took it to a state of bitterness and vile, where funnily enough the ones that didn''t attend games and have a great knowledge of football.

It a good question and I am surprised by some of the answers. Living on the border of Norfolk & Suffolk as a kid and teenager there was always rivalry between City and Town supporters, always many more City fans at that time, but we were still in the minority when compared to Leeds and Liverpool. But then over the years most seasons highlight games have been the local derbies and I for one have really enjoyed the intensity and occasion of the local derbies, like many on here I have lost count of the number I have been to, home and away. So, for me, looking forward to the coming season, again the highlights will be the return of the two derbies, which are special occasions, as we work towards automatic promotion....................but do I "care about Ipswich"...of course not.....do Everton fans care about Liverpool.....I doubt it...      

I have business contacts in Suffolk and have always felt a bit uncomfortable whenever the subject of football arises. I don''t believe in ''hate'' - it''s such a destructive emotion. I prefer to enjoy the healthy local rivalry. I regularly park my car at Portman Road each month and have become rather overly-familiar with the place. Mind you, as I walk two sides of the ground to get to my destination I often think how run-down it looks nowadays and how grateful I am that Norwich City is in a far better condition - not just appearance-wise, but the leadership & the positive expectancy we possess.

But to answer the OP''s question: No, I don''t particularly ''care'' about Ipswich FC. 

Just like every other side we''ll meet next season I desperately hope we take all 6 points against them.

PS: Having said that, I was fortunate to attend both legs of the famous 9-2 and will always glow at what we achieved that historic season!

Tune into TWTD a couple of times a week, as I do, this will fire up any smouldering rivalry that existed in your younger days.

They have an absolute obsession with us, as opposed to their club hardly getting a mention on here, and this reveals it''s self in daily postings related to NCFC. These range from venom, to mis-information to schoolboy humour. It is incessant and often posts having no relevance to us are somehow manufactured so that we get a mention.

To be honest, this rivalry is one of a few things that is a positive outcome of our relegation. The overwhelming view on TWTD is that McCarthy''s minnows are shoe-in for top six at least next season because of the "progress" they made in the season just finished. They have convinced themselves that money does not matter (even the millstone of £80m+ of debt) and that good old Mick and his merry men can work as one to conquer all us "rich boys."

For the first time in his stint at Poorman Road MM is under a degree of pressure, so this can likely end in tears. This time next year they will likely be filling their forums will speculation about their own new manager instead of Norwich City''s. 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Tune into TWTD a couple of times a week, as I do, this will fire up any smouldering rivalry that existed in your younger days.

They have an absolute obsession with us, as opposed to their club hardly getting a mention on here, and this reveals it''s self in daily postings related to NCFC. These range from venom, to mis-information to schoolboy humour. It is incessant and often posts having no relevance to us are somehow manufactured so that we get a mention.

To be honest, this rivalry is one of a few things that is a positive outcome of our relegation. The overwhelming view on TWTD is that McCarthy''s minnows are shoe-in for top six at least next season because of the "progress" they made in the season just finished. They have convinced themselves that money does not matter (even the millstone of £80m+ of debt) and that good old Mick and his merry men can work as one to conquer all us "rich boys."

For the first time in his stint at Poorman Road MM is under a degree of pressure, so this can likely end in tears. This time next year they will likely be filling their forums will speculation about their own new manager instead of Norwich City''s. 

[/quote]

They should have a conversation with T, who will no doubt point out to them that if they have inferior finances then they may as well not bother turning up. As I said in my previous post, the lesser of the two rivals will always be the noisiest as they have the bigger axe to grind. In recent years we have had more success than Ipswich, but it would be interesting to examine the posts on this board from the period we were relegated to League One, to see if the amount of Ipswich venom on this board was much greater. Unfortunately we cant do that for when the were last in the Prem as this board wasnt up and running then I dont think (though I do believe the internet had been invented)

Every other forum in existence in the Whole Wide World has an edit button except this one. (possibly an exaggeration.)

As a human being and a football fan I feel the need to hate at least one football club for little reason.

I therefore hate Ipswich even though they''re 50 miles away and collectively never did anything bad to me. I boo when I bypass Ipswich on the A14, I shudder when I think of Portman Road, I go ''weyyyyyyy'' when I see they have lost and if I ever see somebody wearing any kind of Ipswich Town FC paraphernalia in Norwich I have to resist the urge to ask them ''are you wearing that for a bet?''

So I don''t care about Ipswich at all, and in fact hate the club and all their fans indiscriminately.

I have never figured why they are a local derby. Surely their derby should be Colchester? Ipswich weren''t even in league football till just before WWII!

43 miles is not even close and in a different county as well.

Having said that as my first game was in 1960, I have been present at one or two "tasty" matches between the clubs so I suppose it is two matches a season when even the quietest of supporters might make some noise.

Care isn''t really the right word. I''ve rarely thought about 1p5wich over the last few years.  Before then, the derby games were obviously major events in the season.  When I lived in Norwich, there were always a few scum fans at work and so there would be plenty of banter.  Always good to remind them of their historical records like the biggest Premier League defeat (9-0).

I remember the 2-1 defeat when the Ullathorne back-pass bobbled over Gunn''s foot on their crappy pitch.  After the game walking past a group of scum fans outside the ground, one of them bravely punched me in the back.  So yes, I still detest them and I''m glad when they do badly, I''d be quite happy if their club went out of existence.

I think as derby defeats go, their 4-1 and 5-1 defeats to us must rank as the worst pair of results in the whole history of the rivalry.

They seem to be far, far more obsessed with us than we are, or maybe have ever been, about them.

Small town mentality I guess in the same way that Leeds fans despise everything and anything that is Manchester United-but the Mancs can hardly be bothered to even acknowledge Leeds exist-they''re a distant irrelevance, a fly bouncing its way around a quiet bedroom in the middle of the night, always there until you start to take note of it-then its gone and forgotten.

That''s pretty much Ipswich Town to me, the 3am fly.

Having lived amongst them for years I have to say they are a weird lot. When we lose to them they are everywhere, when we beat them they go into hiding. I lived on the 9 2 for months. I know one of them who will not even drive through Norwich on a day trip to Cromer.

I don''t care about them until we have a match and then I just want us to absolutely batter them.

Though I could probably apply that to every opponent tbf.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

They seem to be far, far more obsessed with us than we are, or maybe have ever been, about them.

Small town mentality I guess in the same way that Leeds fans despise everything and anything that is Manchester United-but the Mancs can hardly be bothered to even acknowledge Leeds exist-they''re a distant irrelevance, a fly bouncing its way around a quiet bedroom in the middle of the night, always there until you start to take note of it-then its gone and forgotten.

That''s pretty much Ipswich Town to me, the 3am fly.

[/quote]

Spot on Old Shuck, they seem to have this perpetual inferiority complex which extends far beyond footballing matters. 

One small correction. Leeds is actually the third largest City in the England behind London and Brum. Surprised me too. (Source :Wiki.)