Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

The importance of contacts

Whoever the Board chooses as next manager I hope they have an eye on one factor which may not be so obvious. That is the need for someone with a good "network" in the football world. Transfer targets and loan signings, in particular, will rely on good contacts and they can make it much easier to get deals done and open doors. If this is not present in the manager it needs to be present somewhere else, like a DoF. My principal concern over Adams and Malky is whether they have sufficiently developed that network. We''ll be up against some managers with a long reach and influence, working in isolation will make it harder for us.

If I am honest this is my concern as well. However, this may well be why the club is looking at the possibility of a DoF.

Quite a few of the names on the current ''who could it be'' list could have that concern levelled at them.

Lennon, Adams and Malky for starters.

I think someone like Phelan may be a good DoF in terms of contacts, having worked with Man Utd who have a large network around the world.

Doesn''t mcnally have an extensive range of contacts ?

I thought the managers just told mcn who they wanted, and he did the moving and shaking ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Doesn''t mcnally have an extensive range of contacts ?

I thought the managers just told mcn who they wanted, and he did the moving and shaking ?
[/quote]ye gods !so Hughton was jetting off to Portugal, Norway, Holland etc etcthose days are long goneplayers are identified by the scouting network, from the boards ''requests'' the manager is one part of the process in determing which ones are targeted (that explains Becchio signing and one use)as to contacts that is not that important as stuff is regularly circulated, it is more important that the ethos of the club is okie we get good pros, the binners get criminals

I can vouch for the importance of contacts.

I can''t see without them.

Hughton was at celtic matches before hooper arrived city1st :)

that said - how much of a blow will losing ewan chester be, should he leave as a result of Hughtons departure ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Hughton was at celtic matches before hooper arrived city1st :)

that said - how much of a blow will losing ewan chester be, should he leave as a result of Hughtons departure ?[/quote]so he was watching Hooper before the board made the choicewas he at Leeds watching Becchio, or watching Snodgrass the summer BEFORE he (Houghton) joined ?