Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

McNally's one week deadline.

Why a one week deadline ?

I think most would agree a prompt appointment makes sense. Our new manager can then build his own team during the summer.

But why did he publicly commit himself to a new manager by the end of the week ?

Other candidates could (and have) become available since this statement, and negotiations can sometimes take longer than expected.

I wonder if the decision had already been made ?

There is a need to get someone in ASAP due to transfers and sorting out player contracts - McNally didn''t really set a ''deadline'' he just expected someone to be announced within a week. Things change pretty quickly and WBA sacking their manager may have thrown a spanner in the works with potential candidates suddenly having another option.

It does look like we won''t hear today anyway, and I can''t see Norwich rushing the decision just because McNally said it would be this week. They can''t keep holding off indefintely though while new cadidates become available though.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

There is a need to get someone in ASAP due to transfers and sorting out player contracts - McNally didn''t really set a ''deadline'' he just expected someone to be announced within a week. Things change pretty quickly and WBA sacking their manager may have thrown a spanner in the works with potential candidates suddenly having another option.

It does look like we won''t hear today anyway, and I can''t see Norwich rushing the decision just because McNally said it would be this week. They can''t keep holding off indefintely though while new cadidates become available though.

[/quote]

It''s also possible that other candidates have become available (Garcia) since the process was started which may delay things a little if they decide to explore those options.

Did they really have to put a deadline on the appointment? I know we all wanted a quick decision but this might come back to bite them. I don''t think many would''ve complained if they''d said ''A new manager will be announced in the next 14 days''. I''d have been frustrated to have to wait, but also understanding of the process.

Well they have until midnight Sunday to keep the promise in the statement the club made.  So something should start being heard today.

It''s a good point OP but I think DM probably wanted to reassure and appease the fans that the matter was underway and of high importance.

I don''t doubt for a second that should something change even within the last minutes and a better candidate should become available that DM would have no hesitation in delaying the process.

Just heard there''s a board meeting from 2-5pm and the gossip round Carra rd is that its between Lennon and Sherwood.

They got to get this right.

Hopefully they have putting the feelers out since CH sacking, so I guess they have now had several weeks to consider who could be available.

I would like to think un contracted managers have also approached us?

Did they really have to put a deadline on the appointment?...I don''t think many would''ve complained if they''d said ''A new manager will be announced in the next 14 days''. - Seems like another deadline!

It was a mistake to give a deadline IMO. It creates an expectation with inevitable disappointment if it is not kept to. Already on this thread it has been referred to as a promise.

There are too many spanners that can go in the works to cause a delay.

It would have been better to say that we intend to make an appointment as quickly as we are able to, and work is already underway.

We HAVE to get this appointment right. It''s absolutely crucial. So if the board do scan these message sites I urge them to take as long as it takes and the sensible fans will understand. I was slightly confused by the firm "within the week" statement. I can only assume that something is already very close.

[quote user="ref89"]Well they have until midnight Sunday to keep the promise in the statement the club made.  So something should start being heard today.[/quote]

no really a promise, just said they expect to, but things can change, could still be a couple of weeks away.

It was completely ridiculous to put a 1-week deadline in place. Almost as stupid as McNally standing in front of the TV cameras being with his palm across his face for half the interview.

After an incredibly impressive start to his tenure, he seems to have made one gaff after another since Lambo left.

The icing on the cake will be if he appoints Lennon.

Yellow Nets - yesterday you were saying quite categorically that the new manager won''t be Malky and that Adams is in place and that details of the Technical Director were being finalised.

You sounded as though you had insider info. What''s changed?

God, it''s painful how a few get so upset about this to-be-named-within-the-week business! Who cares?! It''s no big deal if it gets announced on Tuesday or something is it?!? If it was left half way through the summer I''d very concerned but it''s far more important the right man is got in, not what day it''s announced. But as the weeks not even up yet, it makes this all doubly pedantic!.

Personally don''t know who I would like to see as our next manager, I''m in 2 minds about all of those mentioned so far - anyone else feel the same?

EDP today says Lennon not in the running.Doubt they will trust Adams, a man with no senior managerial experience, to rebuild a squad of players.  Can see him as coach.Therefore must be Malky.

The key thing is that the players are all still around. Hence the desire to get a new man in quickly, who at least has the chance to persuade a few players to stick around, and be around to decide who stays and who goes. Once they break up and their holidays starts it''s harder to persuade them to stay.

Icecream Snow,

They have already broken up and many are already on their hols!

I would urge the board to take it''s time...within reason. My original post was effectively challenging the wisdom of any time line, because its raises expectation and creates unnecessary pressure.

We got to get this right, but obviously our choices will be limited - even more so now we are a Championship club.

Given the options I have heard of so far...I would go for Malky, but I suspect his head may have been turned by other offers.

We will just have to trust the board, to make the best choice.