Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Surman and Fox

Fox is out of contract in June and it is doubtful that he will be offered a new contract.Surman is contracted to us until June 2015Both good players and as Surman has shown can still perform at Championship level. Fox if he stayed would be a ''free'' as would be keeping Surman.Question is, could their wages be used on ''better'' players ?

Personally I''d keep Surman with us next year and let Fox be on his way, was good for us a few years back, but hasn''t performed to anywhere near the same level in his loan spell and in his (admittedly limited) chances for us.

surman played on the left for us, but has played in the middle for bournmouth, which i think suits him after a lot of bad luck with injuries, never had pace but now plays a deep playmaker, would do well with tetty and howson in a midfeild three.

Would like to keep surman think he has a big part to play in championship. Little bit like Leon barnett, outstanding at that level but never really capable of making the step.

As for fox, thanks for what you did in league 1 but bye. So much hype over a midfielder that occasionally pinged a decent ball in. Keeping hold of 3 from Howson Johnson tettey fer would be the main aim

I rate Surman very, very highly. People seem to forget that during the early part of the 2012-13 season, Surman had a little run in the team where he was amongst are better players. I honestly feel that Surman has the footballing intelligence and technical skill to play regularly in the Premiership under the right manager. 
As current rumours seem to suggest that Mackay will be the next Norwich manager, I could see Surman slotting in on the left side of the deep midfielders in the 4-2-3-1 the Mackay likes to play. He certainally has no issue playing slight, technically gifted midfielders in that deeper midfield role, as he showed with his redevelopment of Whittingham (who went from a very technically solid wide-player to a reliable passer in a deeper role).

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]

As for fox, thanks for what you did in league 1 but bye. So much hype over a midfielder that occasionally pinged a decent ball in. [/quote]I reckon that''s a slightly skewed account of Fox. For starters, I would contend that his net contribution for us while we were in League 1 was negative, given that he didn''t play for us and in fact scored against us. As for the Championship, it did take him half a season to settle, but he was absolutely key in the second half for us. And he only improved in the Premier League, becoming one of our players of the season in 2011/12.I think my problem with him is he always seems a slow starter. His first games for us in the Championship he looked out of his depth, and he was dropped, and it took a long time for him to really look at home at the base of the diamond. And since he lost his place under Hughton, he''s never really looked like he can have an impact on a game. I think it will take him quite a while to get back to form, and for that reason, I''m out.

I rate Fox and I think that both he and Surman will/should be key players for us. Given the frequency of the matches in the championship we will need to a good sized squad clear of those who don''t fancy the away matches in dec on a cold rainy tues eve in dec. Fox knows the league.

Fox was superb at the base of  PL''s diamond and started goodness knows how many moves for Holt, Hoolahan & Martin to finish. Keep him & play him regularly!

Surman gets passed around very easily on the left - bit of a defensive liability. He can knock a nicely disguised reverse pass though. Perfect for Hooper / RVW should they remain here.

I rate them both but if pushed would choose Surman to keep.

It all depends who stays and who goes really doesn''t it. Neither player is at the standard of Fer, Tettey, Johnson and Howson, so unless they go, I''d suggest those two should be allowed to leave. Both have played an important role for us and deserve our gratitude, but I would hope we could attract a better standard of midfielder than either of them anyway.

According to the stats he played more games as an AM than a playmaker whilst at Bournemouth. With only three assists and no goals for a mid-table team I would suggest that his wages could be spent better elsewhere. We are looking to get out of the Championship, not consolidate.

I''m glad you said it Judderman - i''d have probably been a bit ruder in my response back to "The Great Wall of Tettey".

Totally agree with what Phillip J Fry said. I think Surman would do an excellent job in that role. A midfield trio of him, Tettey and Howson would look very appealing to me. Surman is not a wide player like you say. The other position that is obviously tailor made for him is the left hand side of the diamond.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Would like to keep surman think he has a big part to play in championship. Little bit like Leon barnett, outstanding at that level but never really capable of making the step.

As for fox, thanks for what you did in league 1 but bye. So much hype over a midfielder that occasionally pinged a decent ball in. Keeping hold of 3 from Howson Johnson tettey fer would be the main aim[/quote]

That''s interesting you say we should keep hold of them. Personally I feel cm has been our weakest position since we came up and I''d be happy to see that back of all three of them.

Tetty and Johnson are just ball winners and not much else, I like to think of them as roaming defenders, kind of the opposite of Hoolahan, there''s a reason we struggled to dictate play, get out of being pinned back and keep the ball because we lacked any presence in the center of the park.

Fer is overrated simply by being much better than the other two. He could stand out at Championship level if he could sort his head out.

He is one player the fans have had a right to call lazy, he has the ability to dominate teams and play some terrific balls but he seldom did and letting other players tackle and run past him while he stood still watching seems to be his favorite play. Plus he won''t stay, not a chance.

Keep Fox as back up, offer him a one year contract as I think he could be useful at certain times and definitely keep Surman!

Complete lack of knowledge! Embarrassing! Was convinced it was league 1. Such a fly through the divisions it''s all a blur!

Essentially the point I was trying to make was that he seems to go missing for such large periods of the game. Just think if we''re looking for a creative midfielder to fill the role I would have him behind Howson/Fer/Surman. I also can''t imagine fox wanting to be here the way he was treated under hughton. Another small point was how lambert said how brilliant he was, yet didn''t consider sniffing around him when he wasn''t getting a game for us?