Sign in to follow this  
Wizard of Waveney

So it is Malky

Impressed as I am with Rosler, if he would leave Wigan to join us so soon after he arrived I would have concerns. We needed to get him earlier, I think you need someone with loyalty at the helm.

Too late in my opinion to even consider Rosler. I liked the Zola notion, but as soon as Tim Sherwood was mentioned realised Malky would do just fine!

If it is Malky Mackay his critics on here need to zip it and get fully behind him. Has football really become that ridiculous that fans can justify to themselves throwing daggers at coaches who haven''t even been appointed yet?

The board are totally sensible to hire Mackay - he''s WON the Championship very recently and he knows many of the coaches and players in that division.

When the choice is made let''s give the poor bloke our full and united backing.

Malky wouldn''t be my first choice but he does know the championship and its pitfalls so wouldn''t exactly be disappointed if he has got the job. He would certainly get my support.

Amen to that Inchy. And anyone saying he is a cheap option have it completely wrong. He won''t be coming for a bag of walnuts.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Its the little ol Norwich appointment why oh why do we have an owner that does it every bl00dy time .[/quote]Because, wait for it, we''re really not that big. We''re a well run club that has just completed three seasons in the Premier League, with the cheapest squad there in the first year, second cheapest squad in the second season and fourth cheapest in the third season. We are not a big club. We''re a brilliant club, but we''re not a big club and that means the Scolaris, Morinhos, Pellegrinos of this world probably won''t get that excited about coming to join us. All the managers in the frame are what I''d consider to be experienced higher grade Championship managers or  lower grade Premier League managers. Neil Adams is the one exception there as he hasn''t had any proper experience at this level to make a judgement, and five games at the end of the season coming in with zero preparation time against four of the best teams in the league and a bogey team can''t in any way be considered a fair test of how good he is. To be honest, I''d cheerfully give it to Adams just on a gut feeling that he''s going to really fly, but I think any of the names mentioned have the capability to get us back where we want to be.

Clearly being a Norwich fan makes some people so completely and utterly miserable, you have to wonder about why they bother?

The only qualm I would have about appointing Mackay are the stories that have come out in the papers recently. Allegedly, Mackay dropped his claim against Tan and apologised to him without receiving any compensation. When you appear to have a pretty strong claim that surely begs the question: why?

I really hope its not true, mark my words it''ll end in tears.[:''(]

[quote user="He Scored Against The Scum He Scored Another 1"]Doesn''t he favour 442, not an overly negative formation.[/quote]

its not the formation but how you set out within it.. 4-4-2 can be more "negative" and defensive than 5-4-1 if you set it up to be.

Cambridge Yellow, it is my understanding that Malky did receive compensation and that it was settled outside of court.

Too right Jas after all WHU played 4-6-0 at Spurs & won 3-0. There is a real difference between defensive & negative. Hughtons was slow & negative whatever the formation

There will be some very happy Norwich supporters who have been waiting a long time for a season ticket, what with all these that are going to be sent back.

[quote user="Wiz"]I really hope its not true, mark my words it''ll end in tears.[:''(][/quote]

^^^^^ [Y]

Malky will be fantastic, he knows the league and is tried and tested at this level. With some ins and outs we will be up and around the top come the end of the season

AJ, I guess we will never know the exact details but quite a few sources have reported Malky got nothing from the settlement. As for those who feel Mackay will be too negative and unimaginative should we get the Premiership. Well, I have some unfortunate news for you - we aren''t actually a Premier League side anymore and Mackay does have very recent experience of getting out of the championship. So we certainly could have done far, far worse.

There is not one candidate that all seem happy with, but the point is there''s hardly going to be a huge queue of the world''s top managers banging our door to take on a relegated side.

I''ve no idea who it will be, but Malky is certainly a decent fit. Here''s some considerations:

- Malky is far from the cheap option - I haven''t any doubt he will have had interest from other decent sides and will cost us a fair whack. Adams would be the cheap option. Zola and Garcia would be much the same as Malky as are out of work

-Malky has given up his legal fight in order to presumably take up a position somewhere and have Tan slag him off unremittingly in the process without reply. If that doesn''t suggest to people that he has the desire to succeed wherever it is, then not a lot will.

- there has not yet been any delay against the board''s stated deadline of a week, this would run out tonight (but tomorrow wouldn''t seem unfair, do you expect a new guy to be unveiled at 10pm on a Sunday?)

- playing style: some seem intent on slating Malky before we have even kicked a ball, which seems to be based on his defensive set up at FCR (which actually worked). The fact that he took Cardiff to a cup final + play-offs one season + won the title next, IMO playing decent stuff, is surely more relevant to our circumstances. We have been told that we want to get back to playing ''our'' way, which any manager will need to do.

- Why wouldn''t Malky have wanted to stay and at least try to finish his job at Cardiff if we did come calling 2 years ago? There is actually no proof at all that we did. The board said CH was the overwhelming choice.

- Similarly, Lennon would probably have been interested if we were PL but it may be too big a step down(and I''m not so sure he''s what we need right now)

- Someone like Rosler might be good, but he has only managed for 2-3 seasons and ultimately failed to win promotion yet, at Wigan this was with a PL squad.

One of my reservations about malky is that the thing we need sorting out most is our attacking play. Is he the man you would bring in to help sort that out? That is the thing that will get us out of the division.

When midfielders are struggling to create, and stikers struggling to score (and we really are low on confidence in both regards) having a manger who has been in that position would surely help. Lennon, Adams and Sherwood were midfielders, Zola an attaching midfield/forward. Malky barely had an attacking bone in his body as a player, so has much less experience of these matters on the pitch. I do realise this is a very simplistic point to get hung up on and i''m not saying he can''t do it - but until proven otherwise, I am always wary of an ex defenders ability to coach an attacking team, and likewise an ex striker''s ability to coach a defensive unit. That is why if it is Malky, I would really like Adams to be involved, or for him to bring in other more attacking expertise if necessary.

That''s a fair summing up Branston. Malky wouldn''t be my first choice but perhaps my judgement is contaminated because Lambert was a Bowkett/McNally appointment as they had persuasive if not full powers at that time. Wrongly, perhaps, I feel appointing an ex player again means we are going backwards re recruitment approach.

Probably Malky is the best choice for our current position and of course we will all get behind him.

One thing is for certain he is way way better than Hughton.

These concerns about having a defender as our next Manager, well two of my favourite Managers were Mike Walker (GK) and Dave Stringer (CH). John Bond was a full back, and a charasmatic and pretty successful Manager here too. Now Brian Hamilton, very good attacking player, so what sort of a Manager was he then?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]One thing is for certain he is way way better than Hughton.[/quote]

That is far from proven.  If we get Malky, we will have a very similar style to Hughton.  What he may offer that seems better is a bit more freedom to attack.   However, if he keeps Snodgrass and Johnson as main players, we will still lose the ball too much and look too slow in attack.  A change of manager has to mean changes in players too.  If we keep the same basic squad, we will have similar problems next season to this - whoever is manager.

Malky is not my first choice but I will give him my support if he is appointed.

Some strange things have been written on here however.

I felt there was a better chance of getting Lennon in the Champs than the Premiership. He has been a winner for the last few seasons, it is going to be a lot easier for us to win matches this coming season than last. That would be a perfect way to enhance his reputation and get something that he really wants, a top job. Few struggling Premiership managers get top jobs. I felt it would be a perfect way for him to get into the English Leagues.

Malky has Championship experience and will do well and possibly get us promoted. But what then? I have my doubts of Malky as a Premiership manager but he can''t be sacked after getting promotion can he?

I still maintain that we have very useful squad of players, much will depend on how they are used. It would be good to see how they can perform if they are used in a way that suits their abilities.

Malky seems to be being pillared for his so called playing style, which is defensive, yet people seem to want Lennon despite his style being pretty much the same??

Malky is the outstanding candidate for me, has a proven track record of success in the division, will get the team playing as a team with passion (something Hughton lost towards the end), and he knows the club.

Completely agree Branston and some good points made.

Malky did a cracking job at Watford. Kept them in the Championship with no money in his first season when they were widely tipped for relegation. Got them playing some really good football (this is Watford remember) then had them on the cusp of the play-offs for much of the following season, before finishing mid-table.

Based on the great job he did at Watford, he was snapped up by Cardiff and inherited something ridiculous like just 6 pro players on the books. So he has to build a complete squad in a single transfer window yet he somehow gets them into the play offs and to the League Cup final. It was an incredible achievement.

The season after he gets them promoted to the Premier League as Champions and was widely recognised as doing a very decent job in his first season until he got fired. I certainly don’t remember any Cardiff fans cheering when he left.

A young, ambitious manager who''s got a track record of success anyone? Yes please.

And another thing, when Malky distanced himself from the Norwich job the last time around (saying something along the lines of wanting to finish the job he''d started at Cardiff) the timing was literally a day or two before we appointed Hughton.

To my mind, this was very much Malky cosy-ing up to the Cardiff fans having been overlooked for the Norwich job. I remember at the time thinking Malky would have walked to Carrow Road to take the manager''s job and did nothing to dampen speculation until just before Hughton was appointed.

Dear god this thread is back to the PinkUn best again!

Right - the ONLY reason ANY of you are considering this a `little norwich` appointment is the fact he used to play for us.

Now try to use your heads - take away the fact he played for us - HE''S STILL probably our best option!

- Plenty of Championship experience including title winning

- Young, seen across the country as an up and coming top flight manager

- Some top flight experience

- Cup final

That still makes him better qualified for where we are in our position than Neil fucking Lennon.

If people just took a step back and looked at things even slightly objectively.

Kingston Yellow post hit''s the nail on the head.

Maybe if his name was Partice Abeyami - you''d be screaming your little fucking heads off about how we''ve got the next best foreign manager who''ll get us playing like Barc...Athletico Madrid.

If it is Mackay then you have to look at what the board have decided not to do.They have rejected the simple and sentimental and cheap but potentially disastrous choice of Adams.They have rejected the notion of Zola - a famous figure with a highly questionable track record who would be the darling of Fleet Street for a while.They have rejected the potentially disastrous choice of Lennon - someone else with a big Fleet Street name but as yet no experience of runing a club through a long English league season.They have rejected the sexy notion of someone from overseas with no experience of English football.Instead they have picked the candidate whose record in the Championship - success with two clubs and no failures - puts him in practical terms if not head and shoulders then certainly a whole head above the alternatives. And someone whose short time at Cardiff in the Premier League shows he is a strong character well able to fight his corner over money and transfers. He may have played for us but there is nothing "little Norwich" about him or the choice.

I don''t really get this negative football thing, To my mind efficient football is good football. The biggest problem with Houghton was inefficiency not the style. If Pulis was still available I would be more than happy with him.