Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Relegation clauses

need not be the be all and end all in players/agents determining whether they want to stay at Carrow Road or move to more lucrative pastures.

Initially, they will have to accept a decrease in pay, but there is nothing to stop the Club promising massive promotion bonuses in order to offer an incentive to stay and an incentive on the field of play.

This takes little working out and means that the Club could conceivably get the best of both Worlds. 

[quote user="morty"]The club holds all the cards.

For this season coming up, anyway.
[/quote]

Except that a "want away" player is not a good player, by and large.

I''m one of those who thinks that our best chance of a quick return is to keep the present squad as intact as possible. This view is enhanced if Hughton is made the scapegoat and considered the cause of all our ills.

This may or may not be the case, but I would like to find out and if it is true that Hughtonism squeezed all ambition out of the players, resulting in our demise, then a new man (team) at the helm should realistically have us there or thereabouts next season.

[quote user="morty"]I think we need changes, but they will be on our terms.[/quote]not correctwe are legally obliged to accept any clauses ie better offer elsewherethere will be negotiations over contracts, which by the word negotiations means not on our termss said, a ''want away'' player is not one to have, if only for the unsettling affect he will have

The club is in a good position, massive Premiership payment (biggest ever) and a reduction in their wage bill due to clauses in the contracts of players.

As far as I''m concerned there must be 101 different clauses agents demand for their clients these days.

We may not have relegation clauses, but there could be clauses that allow players to speak to other clubs if acceptable offers arise.

"We may not have relegation clauses, but there could be clauses that

allow players to speak to other clubs if acceptable offers arise."
That maybe, but I doubt our Chief executive would allow them to go for a low fee. I think we may see a few situations like Hoolahan had and we all know who won there. 

I doubt that many of our players would have a specific value written into their contracts. And we would be stupid not to consider a reasonable offer. But we are in a position to have a big say in what offers are considered.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]"We may not have relegation clauses, but there could be clauses that

allow players to speak to other clubs if acceptable offers arise."
That maybe, but I doubt our Chief executive would allow them to go for a low fee. I think we may see a few situations like Hoolahan had and we all know who won there.  [/quote]

That''s sort of my point. There may still be clauses but none were we get screwed over by letting players go on the cheap.

There is no way that the £16M parachute payment will cover the wage bill of the current squad. Anyone who doesn''t think players will be sold is living in cloud cuckoo land. Similarly it is bound to be the better playerswho have a decent value who will be sold.

[quote user="Al"]There is no way that the £16M parachute payment will cover the wage bill of the current squad.[/quote]I think the world''s moved on since you started that post. [:S]

I just hope that when and if we sell some of our better players we get a decent fee for them. Too many times in recent history we have sold players below their market value or let them go for nothing, Chris Martin being a case in point, Earnshaw being another in terms of transfer value.

[quote user="barkingmad"]I just hope that when and if we sell some of our better players we get a decent fee for them. Too many times in recent history we have sold players below their market value or let them go for nothing, Chris Martin being a case in point, Earnshaw being another in terms of transfer value.[/quote]

eh !Earnshaw had a clause in his contract that stipulated that he could leave if a certain figure was offered for himit was offered.he left

I know he had a transfer clause in his contract which let him go for the same amount as we paid for him, but if you remember at that time he was worth more than we had paid for him. Doncaster has said the only way we cud have bought him was if that clause was in his contract and to me that''s bad management and typical of the recent transfer negotiations, we never seem to make decent money on our transfers, whereas years ago they used to keep the club financially stable.

[quote user="barkingmad"]I know he had a transfer clause in his contract which let him go for the same amount as we paid for him, but if you remember at that time he was worth more than we had paid for him. Doncaster has said the only way we cud have bought him was if that clause was in his contract and to me that''s bad management and typical of the recent transfer negotiations, we never seem to make decent money on our transfers, whereas years ago they used to keep the club financially stable.[/quote]I would say it is more indicative of how poor a bargaining position the club were in back then.We aren''t in such a position now.

No Morty we''re not, but can we please get decent money for the players we may well sell.

[quote user="Al"]There is no way that the £16M parachute payment will cover the wage bill of the current squad. Anyone who doesn''t think players will be sold is living in cloud cuckoo land. Similarly it is bound to be the better playerswho have a decent value who will be sold.[/quote]

It''s a lot more than £16m for the first season. £23m I believe.

We were never re-known as being high payers in the first place so relegation clauses should see us home and dry financially.

We need NOT sell any contracted player, but as an unhappy player is usually a poor player we will likely accept reasonable offers for the want-aways. 

Snodgrass is out of contract next summer and so we will have to sell him if he doesn''t accept a new contract this summer, as we can''t let him go for nothing. It''s the same reason Arsenal had to sell Fabregas and van Persie - they were out of contract the next summer, turned down a new contract, and so if they weren''t sold they would go for nothing.

[quote user="barkingmad"]No Morty we''re not, but can we please get decent money for the players we may well sell.[/quote]We''ll get what they are worth unfortunately.But, like I have said, if the price ain''t right, we don''t have to sell.

We will have to sell players who are out of contract next summer and don''t accept new contracts like I said about Snodgrass, and players who want to go as they won''t want to play for us next season. We must not sell key players who are happy to stay like Ruddy for any price.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="Al"]There is no way that the £16M parachute payment will cover the wage bill of the current squad. Anyone who doesn''t think players will be sold is living in cloud cuckoo land. Similarly it is bound to be the better playerswho have a decent value who will be sold.[/quote]

It''s a lot more than £16m for the first season. £23m I believe.

We were never re-known as being high payers in the first place so relegation clauses should see us home and dry financially.

We need NOT sell any contracted player, but as an unhappy player is usually a poor player we will likely accept reasonable offers for the want-aways. 

[/quote]correct, then £18m and £9m for each of the following yearsgiven that our income in the Championship in 10/11 was around £23m it would mean us having an income of around FOUR TIMES that of our impoverished neighbours, presuming their gates and season tickets sales don''t continue their year by year falla clear statement of just how far apart the two clubs are and a sharp warning of how important next season is in using that advantage over most of the other clubs in the Championship