Sign in to follow this  
jaemae2

Which is better?

Here''s a simple math question that I''m sure all you very very smart people can handle.

Who is a better player?:

Player A: Team concedes 50 goals in 30 games of soccer being on the field

Player B: Team concedes 39 goals in 21 games of soccer when on the field...

I''m sure it''s really difficult...

[quote user="Wimbledoncanary"]whats the difference of being on the field and when on the field?[/quote]

Wow.

The maths questions is actually: did the team have a better defensive record when player A or player B was on the pitch?The answer being Player A, by a small distance.As for the other question (which is more about football than maths), I have no idea I''m afraid, those stats don''t even begin to suggest anything. Have you got any names?

When Player A is on the field: 1.6 goals conceded per game

When Player B is on the field: 1.8

I fear your question is too simplistic though having observed your previous posts I am not surprised by this.

I''m not sure players are equally culpable for goals conceded.

Is the player a goalkeeper or striker?

And by "better" player, how many goals did the team score when player A and B were on the field?

[quote user="HazzaJet"]When Player A is on the field: 1.6 goals conceded per game

When Player B is on the field: 1.8[/quote]

Ding ding ding....

BTW: Player A: Bassong

Player B: Turner.

[quote user="The Tao of Chase"]I fear your question is too simplistic though having observed your previous posts I am not surprised by this.

I''m not sure players are equally culpable for goals conceded.

Is the player a goalkeeper or striker?

And by "better" player, how many goals did the team score when player A and B were on the field?[/quote]

They are CBs. Also the amount of games Bassong didn''t play with Turner alongside him is so small it''s not worth doing the comparision, but it''s less GPG than when Turner is on the field with him.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Wow, you can''t honestly be suggesting that Bassong is better that Turner based on such a simple comparison. [/quote]

No, I''m basing it on the fact the defense performs better when Turner isn''t on the field and Bassong is.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Wow, you can''t honestly be suggesting that Bassong is better that Turner based on such a simple comparison. [/quote]

No, I''m basing it on the fact the defense performs better when Turner isn''t on the field and Bassong is.[/quote]
You''re still missing out on several relevant factors that could also explain the difference in performance. 

You want more? OK.

Bassong with someone that isn''t Turner next to him:

18 goals conceded in 12.

Turner with someone that isn''t Bassong next to him: 10 goals conceded in 5 games.

[quote user="jaemae2"]You want more? OK.

Bassong with someone that isn''t Turner next to him:

18 goals conceded in 12.

Turner with someone that isn''t Bassong next to him: 10 goals conceded in 5 games.[/quote]
You''re still missing several relevant factors beyond that.

No matter how many "relevant factors" the team is defensively better when Turner isn''t on the field and Bassong is, than when Turner is on the field and Bassong isn''t. It''s pretty simple. I can definitely recall the majority of the goals that were conceded when both are on the field most of them are the fault of Turner and not Bassong.

If you want I''ll do even more. When the pairing is Bassong/Yobo the teams defense was incontrovertibly better. When it was BAssong and Bennett/Martin it was incontrovertibly better than when it was Turner and Martin/Bennett.

There was no Turner/Yobo.

What teams were we playing? What formation were we playing? Who else were in our team etc etc etc?

Too simplistic, even Football Manager isn''t that bad. How about tackles made, clearances, or even passion played with. Bassong would have a zero rating for the latter.

I think a Yobo Turner combination would be most satisfactory in the second tier; unfortunately, we may only be left with Whittaker, Martin and Bennett in a few weeks time with Rudd behind - possibly adequate for our new status but hardly inspirational.

[quote user="breadman"]Too simplistic, even Football Manager isn''t that bad. How about tackles made, clearances, or even passion played with. Bassong would have a zero rating for the latter.[/quote]

And still the team managed to play better when he was on the field than in any combination when he was off. And even better than that when Turner was off the field...

You people can''t be this stupid.

[quote user="Herman "]What teams were we playing? What formation were we playing? Who else were in our team etc etc etc?[/quote]
I feel this is beyond his comprehension...

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Herman "]What teams were we playing? What formation were we playing? Who else were in our team etc etc etc?[/quote]
I feel this is beyond his comprehension...
[/quote]

You might not want to talk about intelligence. You aren''t too swift.