Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Ben Wyatt is now a scummer

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/25224/?
Disappointed with this, thought he looked decent as a prospect.

quite a surprise as he looked a good prospect in the cup games - been with the club since he was 9but it''s rare that released players go on to prove the club wrong.... and it further shows the pecking order with the two clubs

Quite a few lads got released from the youth cup winning squad, as sad as that is hopefully they turn out to be the right decisions for all concerned and best of luck to the lads in the future.

Apart from Ben.

Just kidding.

Maybe not.

Was he the left back in the youth team cup run?Thought he looked a decent prospect, really got up and down the line and put a tackle in.Good luck to all the lads that were let go, not an easy time for them or the staff that make these decisions

the paupers have now got someone who came through the youth system (ours)and has won a trophy (ours)says much if he has been released even though we have dropped down a divisionstill as far as our impoverished neigbours go, beggars can''t be choosers

Let''s take the positive out of this, as Ben has been released there must be some damn good youngsters coming through.

The usual thought is that he will not progress any further, and it is better for both sides if he moves on to find the level that suits him - which he looks to have done.Given the investment in the youth system I would imagine you are correct about those coming throughSadly for our skid row neighbours the same can''t be said with virtually no youths coming through, even to their threadbare squad. Even their attempt at Cat I Acadamy is based on fund raising by the fanspoor old paupers

Firstly, I am a NCFC supporter.

Ben is only just 18 and is still developing as a footballer. Even so Norwich played him for a full 90 mins in every U18''s game where he was available last season and also played him up in their U21''s team. He has been called up for England Training camps this year already and he played his part in winning the FA Youth Cup last year (when did Norwich 1st team last win a trophy?). He was MOTM in the U21''s Senior Cup Final win at Carrow Rd (3 days after the Youth Cup final) when he was still only 17.

Does this sound like a player who already "has found his level"? (I don''t think so, there is more to come). And before we all get smug about playing at a different level don''t forget that Norwich are at the same level as Ipswich next season playing in the Championship next year, have u forgotten already?.

The clubs decision to release was a poor one as most fans have already recognised in their comments. They have thrown away 8 years of investment in Ben and Ipswich will reap the benefits of this investment now, not Norwich, which quite frankly is ridiculous and just poor business.

Norwich had first refusal and they stuffed it up. Don''t knock the lad for joining Ipswich, he deserved a pro contract on merit and Ipswich have stepped in where Norwich failed. Good business for them and him and we only have ourselves to blame as the club decision opened the door for Ipswich to benefit.

Follow his future progress and rue "the one that got away" my friend.....

There is more to it than him just being a good player, it''s also a question of whether there is a pathway seen to the first team, if there isn''t we are just holding him back and it''s better for the lad to go and get a contract where he''ll have a chance of continuing his progression.

The level has to be extremely high especially for a young defender to get a chance over what might be seen wrongly or rightly a seasoned professional.

He was a real stand-out performer in the Youth Cup run. There must be a real congested path if Norwich deemed him surplus to requirements.

It looks a poor decision on the evidence so far.

It seems a strange one to me. NA must have noted some flaws in his performance level to take such a drastic decision.

That ITFC need to pick the scraps from our table is rather amusing, although to read  TWTD you would think that they had gotten one over us.

Answer me this though, how many times have we released a player, and truly regretted it?

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Chris Martin is doing his best to fall into that category![/quote]Yes, he is. But the level we were playing at, at the time meant there was no place here for him at that point.I guess, if they go up, we''ll see if we really regret it or not, but I but I don''t remember many at the time regretting his exit.

The thing about having a decent academy is that you, almost by definition, will have to sometimes release decent prospects.

It is interesting that Adams had been lauded as someone who will champion the Youths and bring them all through, yet we now have people whining that he''s let a good one go. The thing is that for where we are, clearly there was a consideration that we had others ahead of him (and/or coming through). He will have been in his last season as an u-18 so this was really the crunch time as perhaps he''d not have got gametime at any more. Clubs do get on well at this level, and it would be no real surprise if NCFC helped him get his Ippo contract.

I guess we''ll see wat''s what in the future, but it does seem to happen a fair bit that.lads we think are great are let go - we seem to get moans about them every season, but tbh I don''t recall there having been any obvious mistakes in recent years having come back to bite us.

Ah but hindsight is 20:20 vision. And at the time we were besotted with the prospect of Ricky.

I think Ben Wyatt might be one to keep track of in the future as he looked OK. But lets be honest our opinion is based on watching the back end of the cup run - probably not representative. But interesting that he did get immediately snapped up.

You also have to separate the Chris Martin type scenario, where he was a full senior pro, and a lad let go at 18 - these are completely different.

No one really thought CM was really ready for PL at the time and he also had ''other troubles'' so it was probably best he moved - that he has done as well as he has is all credit to him.

Decisions on players are, and have to be, made for where we and they currently are.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Ah but hindsight is 20:20 vision. And at the time we were besotted with the prospect of Ricky.

I think Ben Wyatt might be one to keep track of in the future as he looked OK. But lets be honest our opinion is based on watching the back end of the cup run - probably not representative. But interesting that he did get immediately snapped up.[/quote]Its supply and demand I guess.And a compliment to the quality our academy is producing.Makes me chuckle when I think back about some of the youth prospects we raved about, and ultimately turned out to be average (with no disrespect)

[quote user="morty"]Answer me this though, how many times have we released a player, and truly regretted it?[/quote]

I can only remember one & that''s Dion Dublin who was picked up by Cambridge Utd.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]Answer me this though, how many times have we released a player, and truly regretted it?[/quote]

I can only remember one & that''s Dion Dublin who was picked up by Cambridge Utd.

[/quote]Good call[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]Answer me this though, how many times have we released a player, and truly regretted it?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good call[Y]
[/quote]

Don''t forget the legendary David Beckham trial [;)]

Who are we to judge? The accademy staff that make these decision know just about everything there is to know about the lad. Its a really, really tough decision to have to make and its even harder for Ben. He will be feeling absolutely gutted, good luck Ben I sincerly hope that you realise your ambition.

Looked to me like a player who''s already reached a low ceiling

Will end up in League two I''d imagine

Yeah, Dion is the only one I can think of. But you do have to wonder if it is a self fulfilling prophecy when kids are released. What I mean by that is, if you decide to keep a kid on at your level, he continues to be coached by coaches of that level, train at that level with pros of that level and at facilities of that level. If you suddenly cut that kind of input, and he has to suddenly start training with professionals of lesser standard, with perhaps less professional standards, its hardly surprising if that player then never develops beyond that level.

Take Cristiano Ronaldo for example, when he went to Utd, the parallels with Nathan Redmond were very similar - obvious skill and potential but absolutely no end product. At the end of his first season plenty of Man Utd fans were calling for him to be sold as he had reached his level and would never develop beyond the fancy-dan stuff. He had access to some of the best coaches in the world and wow - look at the transformation.

If he had been released to a lower league team (I know its a ridiculous example but still) he perhaps would never have developed to the level he is at now - as plenty of potential is never realised.

So for those players we''ve released to lower league clubs and then seem to have justified that decision by never progressing further - was that simply because they stopped getting the nurturing they needed, or because they werent good enough. You can never know, but probably only the most supremely talented could still develop despite top coaching, or at least - as we saw with the players Lambert recruited, those players who have the mental strength to fight back and climb the leagues.

Ben has been fortunate to have been picked up by a team at the same level as us - he will now get the chance to continue to develop. But I feel sorry for those who never get that chance.

I cannot see how everyone is so quick to write him off and wish failure upon him. I can''t believe some of the rubbish posters write on here sometimesHe has been offered a pro contract by Town, and has a chance to kick-start his career. He can''t really turn it down can he? Its unfortunate he was released as he did have some outstanding games for us. He was one of the stand-out players in the youth cup victory for me. All the best to him, I hope he succeeds, even if hes playing for Town(!).

Is anyone wishing failure upon him ?It should be borne in mind that the paupers have only offered him a one year cntract which aside from their obvious lack of money suggests they are not totally committed to his potential and prepared to see how he develops.For us I trust the coaching set up who has given us an FA Youth Cup win and produced/located the Murphy twins, Loza, Rudd, Steer etcBen would have been a great story, being a Norwich lad who has been with the club since he was nine but it was not to be. Good luck to him where ever he goes.

GMD

Ben has been fortunate to have been picked up by a team at the same level as us - he will now get the chance to continue to develop. But I feel sorry for those who never get that chance.

Yes we are both in the Championship but our academy is a much higher quality than theirs, any youth players that get let go by us are gong to get snapped up by the lower grade academies I would guess.