Sign in to follow this  

Well lets keep hold of him for a season.  Even then he will still have two years left on his deal so will be worth several million.  With the right manager he will be a Huckerby in the Championship.

Freedom to play, or not, does not explain his abysmal choice of final ball and his shooting ability last season.

I half watched the u21 game last night, he did have some very wild and wide shots as well as those that hit the target. Redders is decent young prospect, no more.....yet. He benefit from staying and playing regularly in the Championship. Off topic but Gareth Southgate is very interesting young manager, unbeaten in 11(might be 8 too lazy to research) i think with the u21s. An exdefender BUT with a great attacking style...any one know a team thats looking?

I think Redmond refers to not having to track back

Problem is when u play for a poor team (Norwich in Prem) everyone has to defend to give u a chance of a result, when u play for a good team (England U21) no need to come back

He will have more space & time in Champs - we must keep him

[quote user="morty"]We can''t go on blaming Hughton forever...
[/quote]

Ha!

The comments were put in some context by Southgate, the freedom to go out and play with a degree of abandon was as much to do with the inferior opposition as it was to do with any footballing attitude.

Wales u21''s, fine players as they are, do not offer quite the same threat going the other way as a Premier League outfit, hence there is less emphasis placed on defensive responsibility.

That said, if he can carry that sort of confidence into the Championship next season he could be a valuable weapon.

YellowFC wrote the following post at 20/05/2014 11:03 AM:

"I think Redmond refers to not having to track back

Problem is when u play for a poor team (Norwich in Prem) everyone has to defend to give u a chance of a result, when u play for a good team (England U21) no need to come back

He will have more space & time in Champs - we must keep him."

Chelsea are a good team and Mourinho pointed the finger at Hazard for not doing enough defensively.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]YellowFC wrote the following post at 20/05/2014 11:03 AM: "I think Redmond refers to not having to track back Problem is when u play for a poor team (Norwich in Prem) everyone has to defend to give u a chance of a result, when u play for a good team (England U21) no need to come back He will have more space & time in Champs - we must keep him." Chelsea are a good team and Mourinho pointed the finger at Hazard for not doing enough defensively.[/quote]

But then again Mourinho isn''t a typical Premier League manager.

As i said , i only half watched the game, doin paperwork with one eye/ear on the the game...but did hear the commentator praising redmond who on losing the ball when he had options all around , immediately bust a gut tracking back 50 or60 yards to try to win the ball back.

I would love to know what manager/team would say to a player ''just do your thing...and if you lose the ball ,stop, put your hands on your hips and let your team mates do the work for you'' ..of course he is still expected to track back.

He probably was having a sly dig at our negative set up this season, not to mention that playing Wales in itself gave them more freedom, just as liverpool relish playing us.

Joanna Grey,

Agree, Jose Mourinho not typical but probably the best? Which is why other managers should look and learn.

Re the not tracking back, etc. Attacking, defending and holding are all part of the same 90 mins of football, which apart from substitutes is played by the same 11 players, ergo, attacking, defending and holding is the responsibilty of all 11, not just those that fill the attacking, defending and holding positions. Until such time as we follow the lead (if you can call it that) of American football and put a diffrent bunch of guys on the pitch to play offensively and defensively, it will always be that way.

We all expect our defenders to score the odd goal or two so we should all expect our attackers to defend ocassionally. Well that''s my opinion and for now I''m sticking to it!

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="morty"]We can''t go on blaming Hughton forever...[/quote]

Ha!

The comments were put in some context by Southgate, the freedom to go out and play with a degree of abandon was as much to do with the inferior opposition as it was to do with any footballing attitude.

Wales u21''s, fine players as they are, do not offer quite the same threat going the other way as a Premier League outfit, hence there is less emphasis placed on defensive responsibility.

That said, if he can carry that sort of confidence into the Championship next season he could be a valuable weapon.

[/quote]The bold bit there is the telling part. Of course he is going to get more freedom to play against a team who are clearly not as good as his.

Well it''s a trade off isn''t it? Darren Bent and Rob Earnshaw both were guilty of doing nothing put score goals, but that''s not too bad if you''re delivering the goods. Just like the "someone has to do the dirty work" philosophy, "someone has to score" is equally true. Redmond will have learnt a lot this season being in a team constantly on the back foot but he''ll be so much more effective next season with us likely to be on the front foot more often.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="morty"]We can''t go on blaming Hughton forever...[/quote]

Ha!

[/quote]The bold bit there is the telling part. Of course he is going to get more freedom to play against a team who are clearly not as good as his.[/quote]

I just wonder last season why he wasn''t given more freedom (or why the whole team weren''t) against some of the weaker teams we played, especially at home. Games like WBA at home and Hull away he could have been used to devestating effect if we weren''t so concerned with playing a rigid 4-5-1 formation most of the time.