Sign in to follow this  
portman_king

Ben Wyatt

Before I begin, this is not meant to be antagonistic, a genuine question:If Ben Wyatt is meant to be a good prospect and one of the better lads from your Youth Cup winning side why are you letting him go? And surely this makes a mockery of having a Category 1 Academy in the first place if you''re not giving these boys a platform to play?

if he was any good he would have been offered a contract. you have no money and are so close to administration you have to gamble on these sort of players.

[quote user="cat farm"]if he was any good he would have been offered a contract. you have no money and are so close to administration you have to gamble on these sort of players.[/quote]I''m led to believe he was offered a deal half the wage we offered.A lot of you guys bemoaned him leaving a few days ago, I''m just intrigued as to why clubs have these multi-million pound academies if they''re not going to give them a chance.Wyatt, an England youth international, must be worth persevering ahead of a past-it Garrido for instance? Good back-up for Olsson if anything.

He was decent but he plays in one of our stronger positions, would have never got a chance in the first team. Now if we''d let Harry Toffolo move on I''d have been disappointed.

Quite simple really. Deemed not good enough to improve our squad. The ones that are have been involved with the first team and/or been on loan at various clubs (the Murphy twins, Cam McGeehan, Carlton Morris, Loza etc). Wyatt hasn''t been so is obviously seen by the coaches who worked with him day in day out as not good enough to make the step up.

It would be unfair on the kid to keep him if he isnt ever going to get any game time, so we have allowed him to join a team where first team opportunities will be much easier to come by.

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]Quite simple really. Deemed not good enough to improve our squad. The ones that are have been involved with the first team and/or been on loan at various clubs (the Murphy twins, Cam McGeehan, Carlton Morris, Loza etc). Wyatt hasn''t been so is obviously seen by the coaches who worked with him day in day out as not good enough to make the step up.

It would be unfair on the kid to keep him if he isnt ever going to get any game time, so we have allowed him to join a team where first team opportunities will be much easier to come by.[/quote]If, as is being suggested, he was offered terms by Stoke City too it does indicate he''s got something about him.Did Wyatt get a loan move away for some regular games last season?With Aaron Cresswell likely to be sold on it''ll be interesting to see if Wyatt gets any game time for us in 2014/15.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="cat farm"]if he was any good he would have been offered a contract. you have no money and are so close to administration you have to gamble on these sort of players.[/quote]

I''m led to believe he was offered a deal half the wage we offered.

A lot of you guys bemoaned him leaving a few days ago, I''m just intrigued as to why clubs have these multi-million pound academies if they''re not going to give them a chance.

Wyatt, an England youth international, must be worth persevering ahead of a past-it Garrido for instance? Good back-up for Olsson if anything.
[/quote]

We might go and buy someone better, compared to you were f***ing loaded.

Garrido isn''t ''past it'' he just got unfairly marginalised. Olsson is better, but playing Whittaker at LB when we had Javier there to cover was plain daft. He''s still a good left back. I can only imagine that Wyatt is a long way off what we would consider useful to the first team whereas he might challenge to make your squad next year. A bit like Jed Steer leaving.

Im not aware of any loan move, or if he did it was not publicised like the others. The first i knew of it was when he went on trial to your lot. We also have Harry Toffolo who is rated higher and a year ahead in development, along with Garrido, Olsson and Whittaker who has also played a number of games there. Quite simply too much talent ahead of him, he wont develop without regular games so we let him go.

Im not saying he is terrible or doesnt ''have something about him'' just we have much better already in complete players and potential in the same age bracket. Someone had to leave.

[quote user="portman_king"]I''m led to believe he was offered a deal half the wage we offered.[/quote]He was released. If we had offered offered him terms and he''d rejected them it would have been reported that way. He was released.

Very simple why he was released

Low ceiling, don''t see much more growth in him, best for everyone to move on.

Just cos he played in the youth cup side doesn''t mean he''ll translate to a good senior player. League two at best for me

Not many youth players that are offered contracts go on to succeed the ones released usually find their way to a much lower level . Robert Eagle who made a few first team starts now turns out for Lowestoft i believe , so at least he got to join Suffolks finest , poor Wyatt had to make do with Ipswich .

If we had offered him a contract we would be due compensation as is the case with all u21 players moving on after contract expiration.

Also this Tweet from him quashes that rumour immediately

“It would have been good to stay [at Norwich] but the club decided otherwise! I''d like to say thanks to everyone for their support personally over eight years."

He wanted to stay but was released due to not being good enough. Not tough to understand.

I believe if we offered terms and he chose another team we would be owed a fee.

Most players from a Youth Cup winning squad don''t make it- for example I just looked at Arsenal''s squad from 2009 (lots of time for progression) and only one of those players is a first teamer as far as I can tell. It may be that Stoke and Ipswich think he is worth a punt and I wouldn''t be shocked if he has a decent full time career but at the same point it is no big shock he has been let go.