Sign in to follow this  
pablofarmer

Radio Norfolk

I have a feeling about Sherwood too. Not my choice but I just have a feeling. I think Tim''s outspoken approach would soften a little bit here too as he''d respect the owners. He''d get support from the owners. He''d also benefit from the help of a Technical Director, being an inexperienced manager.

The only thing I don''t understand about Tim, is that if we appoint him, we might as well get Neil Adams in there as manager. Tim probably has five months more experience that Adams? Not enough to make Tim the better option, in my eyes.

I do take your point to a degree, but Sherwood only has 17 games more experience than Neil Adams. Surely that''s not enough and you must also see my point that what''s the point in appointing someone with 17 games more experience than Adams? It would just seem a bit strange.

Charlie Wyatt is rarely wrong though so Malky looks to be nailed on but nothing has given me the impression he or the board are that keen.

Jimmy Smith wrote:

TS:

Played 22, won 13

NA:

Played 5, won 0

I think Sherwood is a considerably more credible candidate than Adams.

Utterly ridiculous stat.

Hardly a Paired Sample T Test, is it?

It will be malky!

What makes me laugh is how they have gone around spouting about the "norwich way".

Only to appoint Malky, a clone of Hughton football!

I expect some statement along the lines of how many goals Cardiff scored during their promotion season.

or

How ???''s appointment as DoF will ensure we play football the norwich way.

I am not sure what the norwich way is bar, when the going gets tough we get tonked and go down! That is the only constant at the club.

Has anyone considered the comment about Adams playing a large role at the club?? I reckon he will be the TDoF. With a statement on how he is Mr NCFC!

I would have liked, Glen Hoddle or Alan Curbishley in this role with Lennon as manager. That would have been a real statement of intent.

As usual we are going to get the cheap and prudent option. with much of the same old boys network being installed that they can get along nicely with, so much so that they can''t sack a mate.

We needed a manager with real ambition to go to the top, this is what Lambert was.

Why Glenn Hoddle? He failed at Wolves, played poor football, drew most games 0-0. Failed at Spurs too. People were throwing their season tickets at him when he was at Spurs.

What is so great about Hoddle? Nothing that I can see. He looks so desperate on TV touting for the Spurs job all the time too. Would hate Hoddle as manager.

[quote user="K Lo"]Jimmy Smith wrote:

TS:

Played 22, won 13

NA:

Played 5, won 0

I think Sherwood is a considerably more credible candidate than Adams.

Utterly ridiculous stat.

Hardly a Paired Sample T Test, is it?[/quote]

The sample size is admittedly small, but what has Adams actually done to deserve the job? At least we''ve seen a team successfully implement attacking football under Sherwood.

As for Malky, there is no reason he can''t play an acceptable brand of football. I have nothing wrong with Malkys defensive approach, as it''s successful and it''s proven he can attack when needed.

Firstly, fair play to them for doing the interview, it''s not something that they had to do as it would have been easier to hide behind carefully worded press releases.

Secondly, there is an element of people hearing what they want, much like people were seeing things that they wanted on the pitch. The January discussions aren''t a surprise, I''m sure, the managerial position has to be under constant review (I believe McNally touched on this during that Stewart White interview) and while we were in the scrap it''s understandable taht there would be talks. However, it isn''t that there was "nobody" around - anyone can point at a list of out of work managers - it was that there was nobody that they genuinely thought would guarantee a more favourable end result than the guy they had. As they rightly point out, he was winning home games, and generally "doing enough". McNally has remained consistent during the season and subsequently that the best time to look at managerial change is the close season, MWJ has confirmed that change was almost inevitable in this close season anyway.

That people are critical that hey held on too long is understandable but unproven. There was nothing to suggest in the games post-Hughton (admittedly a difficult set of fixtures) that a change earlier would have elicited any tangible improvement to our finishing position, in fact, the way the squad splintered after his departure, it could be argued that we might have been better letting Hughton finish the season in situ. That certainly appears to have been the plan until the reaction after the WBA defeat forced the hand of the board - with hindsight, the fact that we got relegated anyway, I think there is a section of the support who''d have rather Hughton HAD stayed until the end because then they would have got their public hanging as it were. The board acting when they did left poor old Neil Adams at the helm and nobody wanted to blame him; so much of the remaining ire has been directed at McNally and Delia.

With regard to the time being taken for a new appointment to be announced, surely we''d prefer that they got it right rather than just did it quickly? It''s a crucial decision and I''d much prefer that they took 6 weeks and got it right than appointed the wrong man in a week.

And Wiz, you''re a waste of Oxygen.

I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’

Credit where it''s due, there aren’t many Football Club Executives who would go on a live radio show and provide an update on what’s going on behind the scenes at their football club. I thought they came across well and I rate them for doing it and appreciate them being so open.

Ok, the callers were clearly hand picked but I don’t blame them for that. I also don’t buy the “there was no one available in January” argument. And in any case, Hughton should have been fired after the Man U & Man City results so there were more candidates available.

I also thought McNally’s nitpicking over the phraseology about the ‘relegation is worse than death’ quote was very petty. But overall, I think it was good insight and great to get some long awaited straightforward communication from the club.

Personally, I think the jury’s out as to whether this Board have got the wherewithal to recover from the mistakes they’ve made over the last year or so.

It’s all well and good admitting they''ve made mistakes, but I’m not convinced they’re learning from them. A good example is when McNally reactivated his Twitter account to say “I told you so” to fans after (I think) the WBA away win. At best, that was childish and petulant (not something I expect from our CEO). At worst, it demonstrated that McNally couldn’t see what the average fan could, that Hughton was taking us into the Championship.

OK, so the Board now admit that sitting on their hands was a mistake and the new story is that they actually wanted him out in January but they couldn’t find a suitable replacement. That worries me more as it means they still thought he was doing a decent job after the Man U & Man City games. The very time when they should have sacked Hughton.

I really respect what McNally & Bowcott have achieved. I just hope they really have learned from their mistakes. Coming out and saying they’re going to appoint a new manager ‘within the week’ leaves me unconvinced.

Sorry in my post I meant to say that NA had a winning record as a manager before he took the job with us, Sherwood had no managerial experience whatsoever before Spurs appointed him.  for some reason the media have never made anything of this.

And anyone who thinks it is sensible to compare Sherwood''s number of wins from half a season with Spurs with NA''s for our last 5 games is just beyond hope.

What a truly awful display.

Mcnasty didn''t explain why he didn''t deliver on his seven day commitment. Just another example of him getting it badly wrong this season.

I get the feeling they haven''t a scooby doo themselves who will be the next manager.

Stage managed calls with stage managed questions all very cringeworthy

For than ever I want to see those camels on carra rud

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’

Credit where it''s due, there aren’t many Football Club Executives who would go on a live radio show and provide an update on what’s going on behind the scenes at their football club. I thought they came across well and I rate them for doing it and appreciate them being so open.

Ok, the callers were clearly hand picked but I don’t blame them for that. I also don’t buy the “there was no one available in January” argument. And in any case, Hughton should have been fired after the Man U & Man City results so there were more candidates available.

I also thought McNally’s nitpicking over the phraseology about the ‘relegation is worse than death’ quote was very petty. But overall, I think it was good insight and great to get some long awaited straightforward communication from the club.

Personally, I think the jury’s out as to whether this Board have got the wherewithal to recover from the mistakes they’ve made over the last year or so.

It’s all well and good admitting they''ve made mistakes, but I’m not convinced they’re learning from them. A good example is when McNally reactivated his Twitter account to say “I told you so” to fans after (I think) the WBA away win. At best, that was childish and petulant (not something I expect from our CEO). At worst, it demonstrated that McNally couldn’t see what the average fan could, that Hughton was taking us into the Championship.

OK, so the Board now admit that sitting on their hands was a mistake and the new story is that they actually wanted him out in January but they couldn’t find a suitable replacement. That worries me more as it means they still thought he was doing a decent job after the Man U & Man City games. The very time when they should have sacked Hughton.

I really respect what McNally & Bowcott have achieved. I just hope they really have learned from their mistakes. Coming out and saying they’re going to appoint a new manager ‘within the week’ leaves me unconvinced.[/quote]You are hearing what you want to hear re January, and its always easier with hindsight, isn''t it.There is no point in change for changes sake, with the costs involved in getting a new manager that would just be stupid.They asked themselves the question in January "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" and the answer, based on the available facts was "No"I don''t think they were under any illusions as to how Chris Hughton was doing, but based on our extremely good home form, they thought he could do enough to see us over the line.And I shall repeat, for the umpteenth time, he was on track to do so, until West Brom at home, which no one saw coming.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

Firstly, fair play to them for doing the interview, it''s not something that they had to do as it would have been easier to hide behind carefully worded press releases.

Secondly, there is an element of people hearing what they want, much like people were seeing things that they wanted on the pitch. The January discussions aren''t a surprise, I''m sure, the managerial position has to be under constant review (I believe McNally touched on this during that Stewart White interview) and while we were in the scrap it''s understandable taht there would be talks. However, it isn''t that there was "nobody" around - anyone can point at a list of out of work managers - it was that there was nobody that they genuinely thought would guarantee a more favourable end result than the guy they had. As they rightly point out, he was winning home games, and generally "doing enough". McNally has remained consistent during the season and subsequently that the best time to look at managerial change is the close season, MWJ has confirmed that change was almost inevitable in this close season anyway.

That people are critical that hey held on too long is understandable but unproven. There was nothing to suggest in the games post-Hughton (admittedly a difficult set of fixtures) that a change earlier would have elicited any tangible improvement to our finishing position, in fact, the way the squad splintered after his departure, it could be argued that we might have been better letting Hughton finish the season in situ. That certainly appears to have been the plan until the reaction after the WBA defeat forced the hand of the board - with hindsight, the fact that we got relegated anyway, I think there is a section of the support who''d have rather Hughton HAD stayed until the end because then they would have got their public hanging as it were. The board acting when they did left poor old Neil Adams at the helm and nobody wanted to blame him; so much of the remaining ire has been directed at McNally and Delia.

With regard to the time being taken for a new appointment to be announced, surely we''d prefer that they got it right rather than just did it quickly? It''s a crucial decision and I''d much prefer that they took 6 weeks and got it right than appointed the wrong man in a week.

And Wiz, you''re a waste of Oxygen.

[/quote]

I agree with a lot of this.  It''s very easy with hindsight to say they should have appointed Pulis, but most of us would have been horrified by that sort of appointment last autumn.

Also with hindsight, CH should either have been removed mid-season, or we may as well have kept him to the bitter end to see if he could turn things around (or take responsibility for us going down if not - it would annoy me if he tried to argue now he could have saved us TBH).  Although if he''d been kept on after the WBA game, the turmoil among the fans would''ve reached ridiculous levels.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]  At least we''ve seen a team successfully implement attacking football under Sherwood.  [/quote]

Not really.

Spurs came unstruck pretty much every time they came up against a good/top side. They generally got results against the lesser sides - although we beat them here and they were dire that day.

There''s been no particularly wonderful brand of football under Sherwood. They relied on Eriksen to carry them through a lot of games and Adebayor is good for a few goals if you keep picking him.

I saw it coming before the WBA home game, Morty. Also, DM reactivated his twitter after we beat Stoke away. That was a petty move. However, I felt his comments to Nick Conrad today on the ''Relegation worse than death'' quote was justified. Nick tried to use it in broad terms, whereas David actually said it in sporting terms and it''s only fair of him to clarify that.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’

I really respect what McNally & Bowcott have achieved. I just hope they really have learned from their mistakes. Coming out and saying they’re going to appoint a new manager ‘within the week’ leaves me unconvinced.[/quote]You are hearing what you want to hear re January, and its always easier with hindsight, isn''t it.There is no point in change for changes sake, with the costs involved in getting a new manager that would just be stupid.They asked themselves the question in January "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" and the answer, based on the available facts was "No"I don''t think they were under any illusions as to how Chris Hughton was doing, but based on our extremely good home form, they thought he could do enough to see us over the line.And I shall repeat, for the umpteenth time, he was on track to do so, until West Brom at home, which no one saw coming.[/quote]

Nobody saw coming? Erm apart from the many, many fans who kept bemoaning the fact that we kept leaving our fate down to Chris Hughton "must win home games" because we all knew that was not sustainable and that sooner or later we would not win one of them and feared that if it was towards the end of the season we would not be able to recover.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I saw it coming before the WBA home game, Morty. Also, DM reactivated his twitter after we beat Stoke away. That was a petty move. However, I felt his comments to Nick Conrad today on the ''Relegation worse than death'' quote was justified. Nick tried to use it in broad terms, whereas David actually said it in sporting terms and it''s only fair of him to clarify that.[/quote]Oh, I must have missed where you predicted we''d lose at home to West Brom.....

Morty - I suggest you''re also hearing what you want to hear.

Personally, I''ve seen relegation as a near certainty since Man City and an absolute certainty since January. So I don''t consider it hindsight when something that I predicted to happen, happens.

As far as I''m concerned, the answer to your question "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" is "Yes". There''s little point bickering about who but there are 2 or 3 managers who I believe would have given us a life and might have kept us up.

It''s all academic now and I have no interest in arguing about it. We got relegated which makes one thing certain, the Board (and you) got it wrong in a big (worse than death) type way.

I give the Board great credit for going on live radio this morning. I hope this is the beginning of great things.

They still won a few of them games convincingly, i''m not saying he is the best manager out there, but he''s certainly shown to be more competent than Adams in his short tenure. For example, he beat Newcastle 4-0 at st james'' park. Not a bad result!

I''m all for Adams one day being our manager, but not yet. We need someone with at least a touch more experience given our favourites tag this year. A proper stable appointment of a manager with proven success like Mackay. Would you be upset seeing the odd 1-0 away win versus Brentford with a scrappy set piece goal deciding it?

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’

I really respect what McNally & Bowcott have achieved. I just hope they really have learned from their mistakes. Coming out and saying they’re going to appoint a new manager ‘within the week’ leaves me unconvinced.[/quote]You are hearing what you want to hear re January, and its always easier with hindsight, isn''t it.There is no point in change for changes sake, with the costs involved in getting a new manager that would just be stupid.They asked themselves the question in January "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" and the answer, based on the available facts was "No"I don''t think they were under any illusions as to how Chris Hughton was doing, but based on our extremely good home form, they thought he could do enough to see us over the line.And I shall repeat, for the umpteenth time, he was on track to do so, until West Brom at home, which no one saw coming.[/quote]

Nobody saw coming? Erm apart from the many, many fans who kept bemoaning the fact that we kept leaving our fate down to Chris Hughton "must win home games" because we all knew that was not sustainable and that sooner or later we would not win one of them and feared that if it was towards the end of the season we would not be able to recover.[/quote]Here is a fact. We were on target to avoid relegation until we lost at home to West Brom.Anything else is just opinion.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Morty - I suggest you''re also hearing what you want to hear.

Personally, I''ve seen relegation as a near certainty since Man City and an absolute certainty since January. So I don''t consider it hindsight when something that I predicted to happen, happens.

As far as I''m concerned, the answer to your question "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" is "Yes". There''s little point bickering about who but there are 2 or 3 managers who I believe would have given us a life and might have kept us up.

It''s all academic now and I have no interest in arguing about it. We got relegated which makes one thing certain, the Board (and you) got it wrong in a big (worse than death) type way.

I give the Board great credit for going on live radio this morning. I hope this is the beginning of great things.[/quote]Relegation as a certainty?Was this just in your head, or did you actually predict it here?The board are only admitting they got it wrong to pander to the egos of "fans" folding their arms and saying "I told you so" and to get them back onside.So who was this manager that was available in January, and wanted to come to Norwich City, seeing as you know everything?

I realise it must be difficult for you at the moment Morty. Having so publicly backed Hughton all season only for you to have got it so spectacularly wrong. But try not to sound so bitter in defeat.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’

Nobody saw coming? Erm apart from the many, many fans who kept bemoaning the fact that we kept leaving our fate down to Chris Hughton "must win home games" because we all knew that was not sustainable and that sooner or later we would not win one of them and feared that if it was towards the end of the season we would not be able to recover.[/quote]Here is a fact. We were on target to avoid relegation until we lost at home to West Brom.Anything else is just opinion.[/quote]

With "avoiding relegation" having been conveniently reset as our target once it became clear we would not achieve our original target of year on year improvement.

Anyway you are side tracking the debate. You said nobody saw it coming. That''s simply not true and you know it. There were lots of posts from lots of different posters throughout the season who could all see what was going to happen - namely that one slip in a seemingly "winnable" home game would put us deep in trouble and when we failed to beat both Stoke and West Brom thats what happened.

I can actually understand the rationale of the board when they talk about the fact Hughton picking up points regularly at home as a reason for keeping him on but I think that ignores the general downturn in confidence/results that we were witnessing over the second half of the season and still represented a pretty high risk strategy when I think that there would have been plenty of managers out there keen to take that job in January.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I’ve just listened to the interview on ‘Listen Again.’ Credit where it''s due, there aren’t many Football Club Executives who would go on a live radio show and provide an update on what’s going on behind the scenes at their football club. I thought they came across well and I rate them for doing it and appreciate them being so open. Ok, the callers were clearly hand picked but I don’t blame them for that. I also don’t buy the “there was no one available in January” argument. And in any case, Hughton should have been fired after the Man U & Man City results so there were more candidates available. I also thought McNally’s nitpicking over the phraseology about the ‘relegation is worse than death’ quote was very petty. But overall, I think it was good insight and great to get some long awaited straightforward communication from the club. Personally, I think the jury’s out as to whether this Board have got the wherewithal to recover from the mistakes they’ve made over the last year or so. It’s all well and good admitting they''ve made mistakes, but I’m not convinced they’re learning from them. A good example is when McNally reactivated his Twitter account to say “I told you so” to fans after (I think) the WBA away win. At best, that was childish and petulant (not something I expect from our CEO). At worst, it demonstrated that McNally couldn’t see what the average fan could, that Hughton was taking us into the Championship. OK, so the Board now admit that sitting on their hands was a mistake and the new story is that they actually wanted him out in January but they couldn’t find a suitable replacement. That worries me more as it means they still thought he was doing a decent job after the Man U & Man City games. The very time when they should have sacked Hughton. I really respect what McNally & Bowcott have achieved. I just hope they really have learned from their mistakes. Coming out and saying they’re going to appoint a new manager ‘within the week’ leaves me unconvinced.[/quote]

You are hearing what you want to hear re January, and its always easier with hindsight, isn''t it.

There is no point in change for changes sake, with the costs involved in getting a new manager that would just be stupid.

They asked themselves the question in January "Is there a manager available that would have an extremely high chance of improving things at this point" and the answer, based on the available facts was "No"

I don''t think they were under any illusions as to how Chris Hughton was doing, but based on our extremely good home form, they thought he could do enough to see us over the line.

And I shall repeat, for the umpteenth time, he was on track to do so, until West Brom at home, which no one saw coming.
[/quote] Nobody saw coming? Erm apart from the many, many fans who kept bemoaning the fact that we kept leaving our fate down to Chris Hughton "must win home games" because we all knew that was not sustainable and that sooner or later we would not win one of them and feared that if it was towards the end of the season we would not be able to recover.[/quote]

To be fair to the board , they have either changed their tune from the End of Season speaches , or this wasn''t quite what was said today (apologies - I didnt listen to RN this morning)

What they said was that they considered the position at Christmas , and felt that there were enough home games to keep us up, AND that they felt that there wasn''t anyone out there that would guarantee survival. That is different to sitting on thier hands , and wanting hughton out. In their opinion (wrongly in my own) they didnt feel there was anyone out there to make that choice for them.

Clearly they now know they should have changed it, but that is the wonder of hindsight. Again this is what Bowkett said in his well crafted speach.

It also ignored the damaged we were doing to ourselves by regularly gifting our rivals points away from home as well.