Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

what is the Barometer of success for which we judge the Director of football?

The manager, ultimately, will be responsible for team performance and results.

the DOf will go out and source the players the manager wants (I would expect all parties would need to be in agreement). McNally has indicated that the employee must follow the attacking football remit we are looking for. However, should these signings not be up to it, whill the finger be pointed at the DOF?

what, ultimately will their job be judged on? sounds like someones bullet proof to me.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

The manager, ultimately, will be responsible for team performance and results.the DOf will go out and source the players the manager wants (I would expect all parties would need to be in agreement). McNally has indicated that the employee must follow the attacking football remit we are looking for. However, should these signings not be up to it, whill the finger be pointed at the DOF? what, ultimately will their job be judged on? sounds like someones bullet proof to me.

[/quote]

Technical Director, but you are right.  McNally and the board have someone else in place who can take the flak when things don''t go well.   It presumably works both ways though - do well and the TD gets the credit along with the manager.   It does protect the CEO and the board from flak to a certain extent, but it doesn''t take away their ultimate responsibility, as it is they who appoint these people.

She thinks she is jas but mother nature thinks otherwise sometimes.[:|]

the DOf will go out and source the players the manager wants (I would expect all parties would need to be in agreement). McNally has indicated that the employee must follow the attacking football remit we are looking for. However, should these signings not be up to it, whill the finger be pointed at the DOF?

what, ultimately will their job be judged on? sounds like someones bullet proof to me.

[/quote]

A large part of the benefit of a technical director/DoF is they are slightly bullet proof.

Everyone agrees that stability is good for clubs so they can grow in the long-term even if the short-term isn''t going perfectly. Managers cannot provide that stability because as soon as the club lose 3 games in a row everyone wants their head.

The technical director will be answerable to the board, and they will set the KPIs and they will decide whether they are performing or not. The board have made a mistake by hyping the whole thing up, most clubs just bring one in without song or dance and they can get on with their jobs without everyone watching them. Most of us will probably never have heard of the guy when he is appointed, and like when Karsa was here, no one will really know what he is doing or question it if things are going well.

[/quote]that''s already being donetransfers are discussed and agreed at board levelall I can presume is that this DOF will be coordinating and overseeing the liason between the various teams at each level, so as to ensure no clash of interests crop up

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

that''s already being done

transfers are discussed and agreed at board level

all I can presume is that this DOF will be coordinating and overseeing the liason between the various teams at each level, so as to ensure no clash of interests crop up

[/quote]

As happens at every professional football club in England, probably Europe.

It''s unclear whether the new man will have a say in transfers, I suspect he will be part of the discussion, but probably not the kind of Director of Football who makes signings and imposes them on the manager (which is pretty rare).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]that''s already being donetransfers are discussed and agreed at board levelall I can presume is that this DOF will be coordinating and overseeing the liason between the various teams at each level, so as to ensure no clash of interests crop up[/quote]

As happens at every professional football club in England, probably Europe.

It''s unclear whether the new man will have a say in transfers, I suspect he will be part of the discussion, but probably not the kind of Director of Football who makes signings and imposes them on the manager (which is pretty rare).

[/quote]
to me, it seems like its a token job... sitting in an office drinking tea until the manager wants something?