Sign in to follow this  
bluebirds91

Malky Mackay (from a Cardiff Fan)

Hi guys,

It looks pretty obvious malky is going to become Norwich manager and i have been reading this forum the last couple of days to see what everyone''s thoughts are.

Malky was a very successful manager in our time he was with us for 2 and half years..BUT i think he does need money to get the success. In his first year tho he did do rather well for spending quite little must of been in the region of a couple of million and we had a play off place finish and also a cup final which we lost to liverpool. His second year he had about 10-15 million to spend which is a lot for the championship and we did win it comfortably but in my opinion it was the easiest championship i have seen in a long time, we finished 1st on 80 odd points and had 4 wins in our last 14 games which isn''t a good record for 1st place. Our top scorer had 9 goals and it wasn''t the most attacking football i have seen it would normally be played from the back hoofed to the front and heider helguson would try and win it in the air, We got known for scoring from most set pieces and were a threat from there rather then playing decent football and believe we had a better defense than most hence why we went up. But it was long awaited and people were not moaning as we where going to the premier league.

Im glad we stuck with Malky when we went up and gave him a chance and once again Malky spent up to £50 million in the transfer market and what a load of rubbish he bought! Apart from Caulker who i think is slight overrated and got away with alot as we had worse defenders he didn''t buy many decent players.

1. Cornelius maybe should of been given a chance for a bit longer but i seen him play for the development and also first team and there was no chance in hell he was ready for the premiership (which malky brought him in for) he wanted him to be the main striker and gave him £45,000 a week on a 5 year deal at 19 years of age when he was on like £5,000 a week at copenhagen.

2. Gary Medel cracking player for the first 10 games slowly drifted off and looked very unfit and was never worth 11 million, which would of rose to £15 million.

also players like theophile catherine who is awful.. john brayford rated the best right back in the division who he spent 2 million on then didn''t play him once who then went out on loan, and there''s a few others who also didn''t really make much impact at Cardiff.

Maybe his inexperience shown through when we went up as an experienced manager would of spent 50 million alot more wisely and we would probably still be in that league now.

It sounds like i didn''t like malky at all but i did and he grows on you and you do become very fond of him on how he speaks etc But he does need a big budget to succeed but i hope he has learnt from us how to deal with the transfers and how to spend the money because he didnt do it succesfully last season hence why Vincent T*at Tan wasn''t happy and the rumours of malky being named Milky as apparently he used to make money of the transfers for himself and later he was the once apologizing to tan but whether that is true only behind people on the board know.

But he deliver some very good moments hence why a lot of people are very fond of him still and probably some people believe he would of kept us up ( i dont think any manager would of with our championship squad). The football will not be entertaining and he did play defensively but sometimes in that division it doesn''t matter and all you want to do is get out of there as its a very hard league and if you do go up hopefully he doesn''t carry it on like he did with us because it is boring to watch.

All the best for Next season!

Thanks for this interesting post. I think it confirms my impression of Malky. He will probably do a decent job but he isn''t my preferred option as the style of football may not be great.

Good luck for next season.

Seems fair enough, for me, i''m hearing "boring footy with Malky but promotion" or "flowing football with Garcia or Zola but Mid table or Playoffs" I''ll take Malky thanks!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Who do you think we should get Cardiff fan? Is malky right despite his fairly boring style?[/quote]

If you dont sell anyone from your squad i think you will be up there regardless next season i think gary hooper will score a lot of goals next season.

Like someone said on a post i would take slightly boring football to get promoted than play decent football and finish play offs etc.. but if you couldn''t have malky i would possibly want di matteo but hes still getting paid by chelsea so id also take sherwood or steve clarke.

I wouldn''t take boring football and get promoted...

The Premiership is dull for clubs like us. Wasn''t even that good in Lambert''s season, was a lot more decent games than in either of the previous two. But even then we had to dig in and go with it to get results and then suffered the odd inevitable thrashing. Whats the point getting promoted playing football that doesn''t really entertain you so you can see your side struggle against some good sides?

I don''t follow this idea people have that Malky needs a big budget to succeed.

Seems like he did well the first year on a minimal budget.  Second year with a bit to spend - but not masses by Champ standards - he got cardiff promoted automatically.  Then in the Prem he was given plenty of money and wasted much of it - hardly a surprise that the first time he was able to spend a bit more, he made some mistakes.  Let''s face it, Hughton managed to cock up the two biggest transfer fees in our history last summer by buying players who didn''t fit in with his style of play.

So isn''t the lesson that it''s actually better to keep him with a tight budget ?

Well the one thing Malky will not get at Norwich is money , lets not make the biggest mistake since Gunn by appointing Hughton mark 2 .

The fact that the Board keep harping on about the Norwich way and talking about playing attractive attacking football makes me think there is no way it can be Malky.

...and if it is, well lets see how we play under him, but your post confirms my own opinion of him from the snapshots i have seen of his time at Cardiff.

[quote user="Wiz"]It will be Adams.[/quote]
Still 25/1 Wiz, if you are so certain put some money on it!
I''m certain you won''t though because you are more interested in just winding people up rather than actually putting a credible opinion forward.

Cheers OP. The whole Cornelius debacle does worry me, I''d hate to see him buy in another RVW waste of space.

But saying that he seems to me to be the correct and logical choice. But a potentially boring and definitely devisive manager too.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Wiz"]It will be Adams.[/quote]

I''m certain you won''t though because you are more interested in just winding people up rather than actually putting a credible opinion forward.[/quote]

He won''t reply, the moron is like that when questioned. Normally comes back with some silly icon or vulgar comment in response.

He really does struggle to talk about Norwich yet revels in bemoaning the club. Sad old man who can''t support his club (but prefers to eat at Yellows, allegedly)

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Wiz"]It will be Adams.[/quote]

[/quote]

It will help pay for your new Boots hearing aid you were telling us about on another thread Wiz. [:P]