Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, over paid

As a supporter, Is it ever ok to change your football club?

Football is an entertainment not something that has to be endured while costing you money. Despite all the keyboard warriors that plead undying allegiance to the cause - my thoughts are if you pay your cash you deserve to see effort,entertainment and feel good about going - if you don''t; I would find something else to do.

I was not brought up in a footballing household, my parents coming from a country where ''soccer'' is a minority sport. I was born in Norfolk though and as a child went through phases of ''supporting'' Arsenal (gun on their badge!) and then Liverpool (copying older brother), but it wasn''t really proactive supporting . I think my loyalties changed to Norwich at around the age of 10 after being taken to my first game. So, to answer the original question.....yes, if you are under the age of 10 but not after you understand the meaning of the word loyalty! Moo

[quote user="Overratedoverpaid"]You can change you wife, your religion, your body shape, your career, the country you live in, your name and even your gender. All are far more important than football most would agree... So why is it such an outrage change your club?

The reason I ask is I still utterly deflated and appalled that we managed to get relegated. Hughton sucked the life out of me and names like Malky McKay fill me with as much excitement as root canal surgery.

I am no plastic glory hunter, been support City for close to 20 years and stuck by my club even in the dark days of Glenn Roeder, Peter grant and league one? I was at Fulham when they relegated us a decade ago and was on of the last to leave the ground,

So, is it ever ok to say ''enough is enough'' and adios?[/quote]I think it''s a matter of personal choice at the end of the day. In an odd sort of way I''m surprised that football support hasn''t adopted more of a consumer attitude like this already as it has become more of a multi-million pound consumer entertainment industry rather than a sport as such. In many respects, the only unchanging thing about a club these days is a badge and a colour scheme, with personnel at all levels turning over at a moderate lick. So unless you have a particular geographic attachment, why prefer one club over any other club? Why not just go for the one that gives you the biggest sense of vicarious accomplishment? On a rational level it really makes no sense at all. The supporters I really don''t understand, Norwich or otherwise, are the ones who will on one hand ''support'' a club while slagging off just about everyone involved as clueless, witless and calling for everybody''s heads on a plate like some sort of deranged HR consultant on speed. In their cases I often suspect it''s more important as a form of vicarious narcissistic self-aggrandisement than a true allegiance. Personally I was disappointed the club was relegated, but at the end of the day we''re infinitely better off than we were back in the days of League One where the club was on the brink of financial collapse. Possibly we''ll never be the ''big club'' that some seem to dream that we are, although I''d love to see it happen, but I''m quite comfortable with Norwich as it is. I quite like the fact that we have a board that don''t sack at the first sign of trouble, even if events later prove it to have been a mistake. You hear the phrase from supporters that  ''it''s a results business'' far too often in my opinion as it''s a total nonsense when you consider that ultimately supporting a club is the single most irrationally sentimental activity anyone can engage in. For my part, I''ll be a Norwich supporter for better or worse, doubtless with many more disappointments to come over the years, but hopefully some good stuff as well. It''s the not knowing that makes it interesting. But if someone''s not interested in supporting a club any more then that''s their decision and they''re not accountable to anyone else in doing so, so whatever floats your boat really.

Interesting replies, appreciated! It''s a very odd thing football, even the mere suggestion has prompted comments of ''untrustworthy, plastic, didn''t really care etc''

One of you summed it up beautifully.... It''s like a love affair, at times it''s all buttercups, butterflies and rose tinted bliss, the next the very sound of them breathing drives you crazy!

I get it, I''m just flat after the past season and after watching Hull in the FA Cup, they had no more quality than we had, in fact probably less quality and look where they ended the season.

I''m sure my love affair will continue just with a few scars. The general consensus is you simply can''t, you shouldn''t, you should be ostracised for even considering changing your football team. This is why football is unique in business terms, we fans are locked in, regardless of how the business performs and whether it delivers. Some call it unwavering loyalty, some would call us utter mugs!

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

The answer of course is that it''s ok to change the club you support, if you support 1p5wich.

[/quote]

This probably explains why so many Scummers are crawling all over this messageboard. [:(]

Naughty, naughty.

You don''t choose your football team, it picks you. Now, if you are the sort of person who would nick a fiver out of your old grannies purse, Ipswich is the club for you. As that is exactly what they did to all their local suppliers...

My brother grew up supporting Liverpool until he finally realised that my dad was never going to take him to Anfield. It was shortly after Micheal Thomas'' last minute goal at Liverpool that he changed he allegiance to Norwich. I couldn''t help but wonder if Liverpool had won the league this season if he would have jumped ship once more and started proclaiming himself to be a red again.