Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, over paid

As a supporter, Is it ever ok to change your football club?

You can change you wife, your religion, your body shape, your career, the country you live in, your name and even your gender. All are far more important than football most would agree... So why is it such an outrage change your club?

The reason I ask is I still utterly deflated and appalled that we managed to get relegated. Hughton sucked the life out of me and names like Malky McKay fill me with as much excitement as root canal surgery.

I am no plastic glory hunter, been support City for close to 20 years and stuck by my club even in the dark days of Glenn Roeder, Peter grant and league one? I was at Fulham when they relegated us a decade ago and was on of the last to leave the ground,

So, is it ever ok to say ''enough is enough'' and adios?

We have a fair few plastics on here from out with our region you should ask them.

Great to hear Delia yesterday saying we are a local family club for local fans. I hope the plastic fraternity now get the message!!

It''s a free country and people can support who they like. But I reckon it''s probably best to cut all ties and post on your new team''s board....

I couldn''t, no matter what happened to us.

I do know someone who changed from Newcastle to Chelsea in his mid teens. If you''re gonna change allegiances why on earth would you defect to probably the scummiest most unbearable club in world football? I''ve never understood that one!

You stayed 5 years ago when it was much worse or are you actually like 10 years old and don''t remember us being that rubbish? All i''d say is that there would be no getting away from supporting us if you truly did. You could tell everyone you had jumped ship etc but deep inside i bet you''d still be looking up Norwich results and be happy when they scored and upset when they conceeded. For most of us, it''s engrained now.

Indeed myself, there''s not really much reason I should support them other than my relatives being from there, I have lived up north all my life and most of my mates are Leeds fans.

I will say though, for a brief while 5 years ago, i simply lost interest in it, decided if anything, i''d consider being a neutral as Norwich looked to fast be becoming a joke. Luckily the board finally realised this, got Lambert and McNally and I could take us seriously again.

I guess if Norwich were bought out by a terrorist or something I could see grounds for stopping supporting them. There aren''t many teams who continuously make the right decision for decades on end, it''s peaks and troughs until the end unless you''re one of them corrupt teams like Man City etc who buy their way to glory.

It also depends how serious you are. If Football is just a passing interest to you, then fair enough, change to a more easy going team, but don''t be expected to be taken too seriously down the pub when you show up in a Man U kit and try and convince people you''re a proud and loyal fan or when you laugh at suffering fans of proper clubs like us when we have our ups and downs.

what IS the definition of a plastic? is it anyone who is neither norfolk born nor lives in norfolk?

which side of the boundary does waveney canary live?

Live and let live - support the team you have a bond with - some are bonds for life, others more transitory, ours is not to question, you are either a city fan or not. There is no grey classification of true or real fan or supporter

I tried. Having always been the only Norwich fan anywhere, and having no real reason to support Norwich other than a boyhood choice I made, when I made a new start for myself when I moved for University, I tried to adopt the city''s team. I envied the fan that supported their local team and wondered what I was missing out on. As I felt I would be living in this place for probably the rest of my life, I tried to forget my first love and ''support my local team''. it was great at first, finally feeling part of something and not being the only one, and the team I supported representing the place I lived, studied and felt committed to.

I tried. But it didnt last. I never truly felt the love, and I just naturally drifted back to Norwich. Inexplicable though my support is. You never forget your first love. Neither can you choose who you fall in love with.

Im city til I die. Whether I like it or not!

I moved to Norfolk in 1990 having supported another club in Blue (not Ipswich) close to where I used to live. After moving to Norfolk I went to the odd Norwich game with friends as an impartial spectator, and gradually got sucked in to wanting Norwich to do well. Sooner or later that was it, season ticket purchased, and generally lost interest in my previous team.

So YES, it''s OK to change clubs, but not because they''ve been relegated or are going through a sticky patch. That is a typical PLASTIC fan attitude. 

stupid question, if you can change club, than you were never a fan in the first place.

Dr Ink

Can only agree with that; being a fan is like a love affair; sometimes better than others and can see why availability can be attractive ;-)

I know of plenty of genuine city fans who have either moved to the city and now have season tickets but their first club is another - a couple of villa fans in lower river end for example as well as a regular away fan follower who is definitely not local - and those who are norfolk born and bred only to move away and adopt a local club while still having city as their first true love.

One love, as a fellow poster used to comment

No, absolutely not.

Quite simply when educating my lad about the ways of the game the mantra about just this sort of thing is simple, namely:

Never trust a man who changes the team he supports.

I smell another Waveney wind-up! Not surprised that "River End Canary (Waveney) was first to comment on this thread!, just 2 minutes after it was started! (just enough time to log out and log back in with another account and write the reply) :)

To be classed as a supporter u need to watch your club play live other wise u can follow a club - watching on TV, internet, radio press etc

If u move to another part of the country u could say follow Norwich but you may decide to support your local team as nothing replaces the pleasure of watching a live game and it may not be possible to watch Norwich live

I do not class all those Man U fans who claim to be supporters & have never been to Old Trafford or seen them play live as genuine supporters - they just follow the club thro various forms of media

I am not from Norwich, and only started supporting when I moved to the area in the early 90''s. But I never followed football really until I went to my first city game, and didnt support another team.

But no, you can never really change your team, its just not right.

I support Norwich through Norfolk ancestors and I believe my Dad introduced me to football in 1995, just after we''d been relegated from the top flight. I''ve been teased many times about supporting them but I have no desire to be a glory hunter, as we all know that things can change - it took Arsenal 9 years to win another trophy, and I have plenty of friends who support Man Utd, one who hasn''t really followed them at all this season. There''s also no saying that we will never get back to the strength of the Norwich side that was top of the league New Year''s Day 1993

[quote user="River End Canary"]We have a fair few plastics on here from out with our region you should ask them.

Great to hear Delia yesterday saying we are a local family club for local fans. I hope the plastic fraternity now get the message!![/quote] sp how does that work with people that have had to move away for work, family reasons etc?????

People that change their clubs, purely for selfish reasons or because basically they can''t back it because they are weak individuals, should be branded on the forehead and put on some sort of online register that anyone can access so they can be searched for before you associate yourself with them.

The answer of course is that it''s ok to change the club you support, if you support 1p5wich.

In all other cases, like another poster said, if you change your club, you were never a supporter in the first place.

I am a west ham fan first of all, had season tickets in the 80''s with my dad. Norwich were always my second team.

I t hen moved to norfolk and a friend suggested getting on the waiting list that was 9 season ago now and even tho I am now back in Essex I still come to every home game and now a fair few away ones with my son.

Don''t see how you could change a club you ''truly'' follow. I didn''t really have an interest in football living in South London until the mid 80''s (Millwall was my local club so you can understand why).

Most of my family support Millwall or West Ham and I was dragged to a few games as a kid but had little interest. Then I saw Norwich on the TV a few times and started to get interested.

Never really had the spare income until the last 7 years to start attending games but I''m now a season ticket holder and go to as many away games as work allows (think it was 7 last season).

The thought of supporting any other team except England would make me feel sick to be honest. Yes, I''ve been to a few cup games at Upton Park when a free ticket was available but it was as a neutral purely to watch a match live as I would on TV if nothing else was on.

Fact is: if you feel like jumping ship to another team (be they successful or struggling) then it''s your choice.......but don''t let the door hit you on the way out!

After a few of the seasons I have had to endure during the time I have supported City, it would be so much easier on my head if I could change football team, or more realistically, ignore football altogether , but I can''t. It''s in my blood and it''s not going anywhere soon.

Let me tell you about my twin brother. He grew up like myself living and supporting Norwich, we both joined the Royal Navy and both left after serving our time. I settled in Swindon whilst my brother lived in Weston super Mare, where he met his future wife, who was a Bristol City supporter. He accompanied her to all their matches home and away after getting married and following them for a good few years it was enough to turn his head and he now supports Bristol City ! Although all his fellow supporters know his back ground and Norwich is his second team.Myself, living in Swindon have never changed, and will always support Norwich although I do envy him being able to hope on a bus and to go to all the away games.

To answer the first question, and answer it in the style of David McNally, I''d rather die than support another team. I''m a Norwich boy born and bred, and couldn''t even contemplate stopping supporting us - even if in 20 years time we were a Sunday League team for example. I hate living away from Norwich, only getting to a few games each season - I still keep my old season tickets by my bedside as happy reminders. Every time I get back to Norwich I finally feel like I''m home, it''s a great feeling and although Dorset''s a truly beautiful part of England, the world even, I never like coming back. Quite surprised by the many on here that are not from Norwich but support the club, I think that''s great btw - the more the merrier.

I sometimes wonder the difference between the definition of ''Supporters'' and ''Fans''. I believe a fan is someone whom for instance likes or loves Norwich, but never puts any money back into the club, be that through the gates or merchandise etc - a supporter is someone who does exactly that, they ''support the club''. So a fan is one down I guess, what some of the idiots on here refer to as a ''plastic''. Fair weather fans are unacceptable in my mind - THICK AND THIN.

Everybody should be welcome to choose Norwich City Football Club as ''their team''.

I couldn''t ever imagine supporting another club. I was not born in Norfolk and I have never lived in Norfolk so to some that means I will be labelled a "plastic". I never really took an interest in any particular team until a mate at college took me with him to a game at CR. Because of where we lived we only managed to get to two or three homes games a season (often FA Cup) and a few away matches but I was hooked. It''s unlikely that I will get to CR next season due to my work, but there are several away games that I will be travelling to. I think a better way of determining whether someone is a "true supporter" is what I would call the "wife test". Several time during the season my wife has said to me "I can''t wait for this season to be over because your such a bloody misery when they lose". I may not live in Norfolk, or be able to attend homes games but I care about our club. If that makes me "plastic" then I can live with that.