Sign in to follow this  
Phelan Great

Who was the No.10?

Mr McNally said in his Radio interview this morning that we had a loan deal in place in January for a No.10 to join us on loan once his club had bought a replacement, unfortunately the replacement never arrived so we missed out, but any idea who the player was?

I remember someone on hear claiming we were close to getting Gylfi Sigurðsson on loan so maybe it is him?

McNally did say ''someone who they were sure would get us (or help get us) the goals needed to stay up''.

Not sure Aspas, Luiz Alberto or Bendtner are guaranteed goals or guaranteed to help the team get goals.

We will never know though.

He said a top 4 club so think that would rule out spurs and would definetly rule out Juventus. The Liverpool pair are possibilities I guess.

[quote user="Phelan Great"]He said a top 4 club so think that would rule out spurs and would definetly rule out Juventus. The Liverpool pair are possibilities I guess.[/quote]

Juventus are a top 4 club.

Unless he specified the league.

(Not that I think it was Quagliarella)

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Aspas would make sense, as Liverpool looked like they were about to sign Konoplyanka (the ''replacement'') until it fell through late on.
[/quote]

Indeed. Plus Aspas looks a bit cr@p so he''d have been a great fit for us.

[quote user="GJP"]Indeed. Plus Aspas looks a bit cr@p so he''d have been a great fit for us.[/quote]Except that Aspas is a good young player who''s simply had a tough first season in a new league.He was one of the ''potential targets'' I put in my thread some time back, and I think he''d have been a great addition to the squad - much better than dross like Elmander and Jonas...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="GJP"]Indeed. Plus Aspas looks a bit cr@p so he''d have been a great fit for us.[/quote]
Except that Aspas is a good young player who''s simply had a tough first season in a new league.

He was one of the ''potential targets'' I put in my thread some time back, and I think he''d have been a great addition to the squad - much better than dross like Elmander and Jonas...
[/quote]

To be fair, I only said that for a laugh.

(Although he has looked a bit cr@p)

Pacheco (oh no wait he left Liverpool last season)...  I think it was Aspas too. Someone stated a few days ago that they had been involved in testing a blood sample for a player at a Liverpool based club in January but that they didnt know who it was or which club, which sounds plausible. The Russian guy''s transfer falling through would also explain why this one fell through. Makes a lot of sense

"Except that Aspas is a good young player who''s simply had a tough first season in a new league."

Certainly agree with the last part and in that case wouldn''t have been much use to us anyway - we already had van Wolfswinkel performing that role.

But we do have knowledge on it...

A no.10 from a top four clubs. Who would have been willing/available to go out on loan to a club like us. But it was called off because that club couldn''t bring in the replacement. Liverpool had a transfer fall through on the final day too.

It doesn''t take too much to work out who it was... Could have been someone else, but putting 2 and 2 together generally makes 4...

At the time the suggestion was rodwell, which fell through when citehs two replacement targets failed to sign on deadline day (£60m combined fee if I recall right)

People seem to be forgetting that Rodwell isn''t a number 10...that may suggest it wasn''t him. Aspas was a good shout imo (even if he''s pretty woeful this season)

I really don''t think McNally would take a risk on hiring Malky considering him and Hughton basically play the same football week in and week out.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Makes me laugh how people say ''It was Aspas'' without any actual knowledge of this whatsoever.[/quote]

But I KNOW that it was Iago Aspas.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Aspas? Luiz Alberto? Bendtner?[/quote]

Bendtner is not a number 10