Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Summer clear out

All of our players will be earning in excess of £10K per week even after the 50% relegation clause reduction kicks in. The average will be £15K pw, some much higher if u can believe what is posted on this board

The average wage in the champs is £5/10K pw (Burnley & Derby both confirmed this)

All of our players will be earning in excess of £10K per week even after the 50% relegation clause reduction kicks in. The average will be £15K pw, some much higher if u can believe what is posted on this board

Can people on this board stop going all duey eyed now with our squad and stop talking about retaining players who are paid 2/3 times the average for the champs in the hope they regain there form or have been a dedicated servant to the club

The new Manager must clear out expensive dead wood to free up cash for new players to get us back to the Prem

Football is a business and needs to be run as such

Bottom line is if they are not going to be regulars next season they need to be shipped out over the summer who ever they are , we cannot keep anyone for sentimental reasons - dry your eyes, throw the rose tinted glasses away and get real everyone

[quote user="YellowFC"]

The average wage in the champs is £5/10K pw (Burnley & Derby both confirmed this)

Can people on this board stop going all duey eyed now with our squad and stop talking about retaining players who are paid 2/3 times the average for the champs in the hope they regain there form or have been a dedicated servant to the club

The new Manager must clear out expensive dead wood to free up cash for new players to get us back to the Prem

Football is a business and needs to be run as such

Bottom line is if they are not going to be regulars next season they need to be shipped out over the summer who ever they are , we cannot keep anyone for sentimental reasons - dry your eyes, throw the rose tinted glasses away and get real everyone

[/quote]We''ve shipped £20m of debt in the last few years – we''re debt free with parachute payments, and the sale of one or two assets would easily fund a slightly above-average wage budget in the Championship to keep the squad together. If we don''t go up next year, that''s the time to start culling the high earners IMO. We''ve got to give it a go at getting back up first time – otherwise it''s prudence over ambition, surely?

I agree

I am not talking about saving money but reinvesting savings from shipping out inadequate sqaud members & buying new blood

For example assume Pilkington on £25K per week

He has been paid nearly £4M over last 3 years for what - 12 good games - very good work if u can get it, with his transfer fee of £1.75M added on top that equates to a total outlay on one player of nearly £6M, for 12 perhaps 15 good performaces ?

Why pay him another £700K when we can sell and invest his wages in say 2 champ players who will give us more than he does

[quote user="YellowFC"]

I agree

I am not talking about saving money but reinvesting savings from shipping out inadequate sqaud members & buying new blood

For example assume Pilkington on £25K per week

He has been paid nearly £4M over last 3 years for what - 12 good games - very good work if u can get it, with his transfer fee of £1.75M added on top that equates to a total outlay on one player of nearly £6M, for 12 perhaps 15 good performaces ?

Why pay him another £700K when we can sell and invest his wages in say 2 champ players who will give us more than he does

[/quote]It''s a balancing act. Inevitably there will be one or two who we''ll need to move on, and one or two who will be poached by Prem clubs. I just see our squad as a talented bunch of players with good spirit, whose effectiveness has been sapped by a negative and uninspiring manager. With a good motivator and tactician at the helm, I think we need to hold on to as many of this squad as possible. The board will have already budgeted for relegation when they offered the contracts, so I wouldn''t worry too much about our outlay on wages personally. If we can get better value with a few hungry young players to replace a couple of the ''big boys'', that''s a good thing too.

I don''t get your point at all...

First off, who exactly is saying we should keep players for sentimental reasons? Half the threads i''ve read on here recently are full of people saying we should get rid of everyone....

Secondly the ''deadwood'' who exactly is that? We don''t have a huge squad, the only real unused players last season were Becchio and Fox, and then Garrido. And Bennett because of injury. We''ve got two players on loan going back, at least a couple players like Wolfie/Fer/Snoddy/Bassong/Tettey looking to jump ship or being attracted away in the case of Snoddy (possibly Ruddy too, whatever he says if he get a a big offer he can''t afford to refuse it).

So who exactly do you want us to get rid of? Also we''re basically debt free, getting huge parachute payments and a new manager. Players who were out of form last season could easily be a heck of a lot better this season under a new man. One season doesn''t ruin a player.

U doing it talking about keeping players because we will get a large parachute payment in the first year

What I am saying is the new manager needs to take stock of what he has & clear out those players who will not be an integral part of his team next season to free up cash for new recruits

If Adams came in I assume he would clear out the following as they did not play a major part in his 5 game stint

Bassong

Wolf

Fer

Pilkington

Hoolohan

Fox

Nash

I appreciate the last 2 can be released

The first 3 as I have been lead to believe it from postings on this board are 3 of the highest wage earners and would still cost of £60K per week in wages (£3Mpa) even after the relegation reduction

they should only be kept if they are starters - we can find much cheaper & hungrier alteranties elsewhere

[quote user="YellowFC"]

U doing it talking about keeping players because we will get a large parachute payment in the first year

What I am saying is the new manager needs to take stock of what he has & clear out those players who will not be an integral part of his team next season to free up cash for new recruits

If Adams came in I assume he would clear out the following as they did not play a major part in his 5 game stint

Bassong

Wolf

Fer

Pilkington

Hoolohan

Fox

Nash

I appreciate the last 2 can be released

The first 3 as I have been lead to believe it from postings on this board are 3 of the highest wage earners and would still cost of £60K per week in wages (£3Mpa) even after the relegation reduction

they should only be kept if they are starters - we can find much cheaper & hungrier alteranties elsewhere

[/quote]Adams won''t come in, and I''d be very surprised if any of the top three on your list were still here come August. I think Fer could tear the Championship apart if he stayed, but I think his head will be turned by a top-flight club. Could be a complete Premiership footballer if he harnesses his undoubted potential.Personally I''d look to ship out Bassong, Wolf and Pilks and try to hang on to everyone else.

we comin from different angles but I think we r both in agreement

problem with Fer is that he has struggled to cope with all the games in the prem there are even more in champs

[quote user="YellowFC"]

we comin from different angles but I think we r both in agreement

problem with Fer is that he has struggled to cope with all the games in the prem there are even more in champs

[/quote]Yes, that''s true. But I think in a successful team with an attacking manager, you might see a very different player. Time will tell!

McInally stated quite clearly that all the players signed contracts in which their wages would be reduced if relegated.

Player power needs to be brought back to a level where they can be managed safely by boards.

We could make a start by saying to all those with an ambition to leave that we won''t consider it until a fee that is acceptable to the club is reached. Until then, they remain NCFC players,

I don''t believe there is a 25 player limitation in the Championship so those who dig their heels in can rot in the reserves.

It is time for the players to realise that yes, the Hughton era was dire and lacking entertainment and a backward step for the club but many of them played poorly and they are not without blame.

So it is no good any, apart from one or two, thinking they are too good for the Championship.

Nice idea to allow some to rot in reserves but why waste our money on over paid champ players Pilkington say £700Kpa when we can invest elsewhere & only pay 50% of these wages

Well YellowFC thats what managers do every bloody summer isn''t it?

Still don''t get what you''re going on about. Of course players who aren''t going to be in the managers plans will move on if they can be moved on. Thats common sense.

U got no common sense - why waste parachute payments on expensive reserves

Put your business head on & get it above the parapit

That''s a stunning suggestionsome of the players mave have to leave because their wages are not in keeping with Championship income, whilst others might have to go because they have nor performed as well as neededI wonder if any of this has occured to our board, or any other relgated club come to that ?soh wel don u

I agree with you but suggest you read the other threads

People want players to stay for sentimental reasons - u & me clearly do not

Pilkington came from Div 1 Huddersfield and may have been earning around £5k, on his move to City he may have been given £15k which seems unlikely. And as brought in during first year of Premier will definitely have relegation clause cutting salary by 50%.

But £25k per week get real. Pilkington is a saleable asset £3m bid from Swansea last January, letting him go by not opting to take extra year will cosy City. Pilkington will have option exercised and be here next season when back to full fitness.

[quote user="YellowFC"]U got no common sense - why waste parachute payments on expensive reserves

Put your business head on & get it above the parapit[/quote]

You have no common sense.

We don''t have expensive reserves. You''re making up numbers that these players are being paid, we also only have 3 players that were barley used. We can''t just replace a dozen players because you think they are being paid too much. We aren''t spending too much money on wages now, if we kept it at this level for 2/3 seasons without promotion, yes you''d have a point. But right now you''re just babbling on about non existent reservers on made up money.

Get me a list of what the players are earning now, and after any relegation wage drops and a list of players who will be moving on because they want too and then maybe just maybe you''d have a point.

As it is. No.

Sounds like wes and pilks wouldn''t be first choice anyway, so if so, then sell them. Any players we plan to use we should make an effort to keep though. We have one season to have a real good go at bouncing back before wholesale changes are needed imo.

we need a good size squad, we will have injuries and suspensions and will be losing players we want to keep.

at times our midfield lacked quality options last season, so if snoddy and fer go, letting pilks and wes go would leave us hoping redmond has not caught someones eye and a very thread bare set of options. Letting quality going cheaply and having to spend much more to replace them with similar ability would be madness.

CB was also tight - and with Seb going (well almost certainly) and probably Olsson too we will need to make some purchases there as well.

Clear out - Fox currently, see who we can retain and rebuild around that. Getting the manager in quickly to persuade some of the waveney wavering to stay the right side of the border is essential

Turner & Hooper will do well in the champs & prob be starters for us each week

Not sure about Bassong, wolf, Pilkington & Hoolihan

Personally these are my views on the squad.

Defence:

Martin: Must keep.

Whittaker: Would like to replace with a pacier right back.

Turner: Keep if he wants to stay.

R Bennett: Still growing as a player and doing pretty well. Keep.

Yobo: I dream that we will get him on the books but doubt it.

Bassong: Depends if he wants to stay. Form has been poor this season, but on the other hand he had surgery last summer that he didn''t properly recover from. Basically a good player.

Olsson: Keep!

Garrido: Replace if an upgrade is available at a good price.

Snodgrass: Keep if he wants to stay.

Redmond: Must keep. Still some growing to do, but fantastic attitude and a good skillset that will round off.

Howson: Definitely keep. Really wish he hadn''t been injured.

Leroy Fer: Keep if possible, but don''t know whether he''ll want to be off or not.

E Bennett: Keep!

Pilkington: He''s off.

Hoolahan: He''ll be wanting out, so good luck to him.

Tettey: Would like to keep, but just have to see how it goes. Suspect he will be off.

Johnson: Keep.

RvW: Keep. Awful season, but think that was partly about how he was used and partly about a long injury.

Hooper: Keep if possible.

Becchio: 20 goals in half a season in the championship. If we haven''t completely alienated him already. Keep.

Incoming, both Murphy''s should come into the squad as they''re clearly ready for it. Lozar is worth thinking about from how he did in his prem debut.

Only element of caution in all this is it might finish up a bit too youngster heavy. Regarding captaincy, give it to Howson.

Very comprehensive analysis

To the list u can add surman who will return from Bounemouth, Rudd from Preston & Fox who will be released on 30th June if we do not offer him a contract extension

If we can either move Wolf on permanently or send him out on loan for say 6 mths, plus move on Bassong  or 2 highest earners will be off the wages bill. Plus. with Pilkington & Hoolahan odds on to leave, a substantial amount of cash would be freed up to reinvest in 6/7 quality new recruits

We are in for an exciting summer