Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, over paid

8 reasons why appointing McKay will be a disaster.... McNally Read this!

1. His results in the PL were no better than Hughtons, who you saw fit to sack

2. He went public during his dispute with his employer which shouldn''t be ignored. Very unprofessional as a member of Cardiff city''s senior team... Any other business and he have been dismissed from gross misconduct

3. Analyse his transfer dealing in the PL, horrendous purchases with very few exceptions

4. He''s a spender, he throws cash at problems in an attempt to buy his way out of trouble. See Cardiff 2012/13 transfer activity

5. He only just got Cardiff promoted stumbling over the line despite massive transfer funds, won the league with a very low points tally

6. My auto correct changes his name to milky.... Not good for obvious reasons

7. Do we really want a Cardiff reject when they were also relegated. Not good enough for them...

8. He does not demonstrate progression. I''d go as far as saying that Hughton has demonstrated better attributes to get us out of the championship than milky has... The stats do not lie..

I beg you, see sense man, he may be the media''s choice as the ''obvious'' Norwich City manager, let us buck the trend and throw two fat Norfolk fingers up and go our own way!

That is all.

very good points, well supported

be careful of the rose tinted glasses squad, they think it will be fine with Delia at the helm & Mckay in charge and we pay exorbitant wages for another 12 mths to fringe squad players

[quote user="YellowFC"]very good points, well supported

be careful of the rose tinted glasses squad, they think it will be fine with Delia at the helm & Mckay in charge and we pay exorbitant wages for another 12 mths to fringe squad players[/quote]Hi Wiz.

What purpose does making negative, defeatist and presumptive statements about how someone is going to do? Firstly, why don''t we just see who they do appoint and, secondly, when they do, why don''t we wait and see how they do rather than writing them off before a ball is kicked under them.

How dare we hire someone who won the division we are now in and had the audacity to spend money to help achieve it. Whatever next?

The OP is correct - we should be going all out to get Van Gaal here.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]What purpose does making negative, defeatist and presumptive statements about how someone is going to do? Firstly, why don''t we just see who they do appoint and, secondly, when they do, why don''t we wait and see how they do rather than writing them off before a ball is kicked under them.[/quote]

Some people live their lives like this.  They like to predict things won''t work so that if things go well they can feel good, but if things go bad they can  say "well I  told  you that would happen".  That way they can feel good what ever happens.   

As with Hughton half the posters on here can''t spell his name. It''s nailed on to be MacKay. At least that''ll give the spelling nazis some ammunition. ; ) ;-)

He would be my choice. If he can get Cardiff up why not us? Out of all the other candidates, if they were to get us up how many would do a Lambert? I think Mackay would be loyal.

Whoever is appointed, let''s see how they get on with our support yeah? It''s all conjecture as to how they''ll perform with our squad anyway.

For example, I bet 60% of this board would have dismissed McClaren in a heartbeat due to his England failings and crazy Dutch accent but look at the job he''s done with Derby?

The one thing we cannot afford this time around is to sit on our hands when we should be acting. I don''t want us to sack at the drop of a hat, but Hughton had too many chances!

Let''s hope the board get it right and support whoever is put in charge... as long as it''s not Di Canio haha.

LDC.. I hope you''re not referring to me chap. You couldn''t possibly deduce ''how I live my life''. For one thing I am not your usual low intellect chav oik football supporter who aspirations in life are simply 3pts on a Saturday and a leg over with the missus.

I take no satisfaction in watching this club continue to make poor decision after poor decision. If it is malty and I would be horrified if McNally appointed him! but if it is him then that will be the final straw for me. Lack of balls, lack of ambition, ambling through life making the same predicable mistakes.... Just like the average man on the street so aptly represented by the ''average'' football supporter.

And before you guys start taking pot shots at me, take a long hard look in the mirror.... You know I''m fooking right!

Ps - absolutely, I do think I''m better!

Malky would not be in my top three choices. Equally, I wouldn''t view his appointment as a ''disaster''. This would be appointing the internal candidate - effectively returning up to 2009 - the board must go for experience this season.

Fail to get promotion and then all bets are off. We will lose any of our remaining top players. The club will be facing a complete rebuilding exercise from the academy upwards. Costs will need to be significantly reduced. We will have to face the reality of many years in the Championship while becoming increasingly uncompetitive as more recently relegated PL sides join the Championship, and without the ownership investment from which many others clubs benefit.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Malky would not be in my top three choices. Equally, I wouldn''t view his appointment as a ''disaster''. This would be appointing the internal candidate - effectively returning up to 2009 - the board must go for experience this season.

Fail to get promotion and then all bets are off.
We will lose any of our remaining top players. The club will be facing a complete rebuilding exercise from the academy upwards. Costs will need to be significantly reduced. We will have to face the reality of many years in the Championship while becoming increasingly uncompetitive as more recently relegated PL sides join the Championship, and without the ownership investment from which many others clubs benefit.[/quote]As a matter of interest who are the three names on your list of managers more qualified than Mackay to finish in the top two at the end of a 46-game season in the Championship?

I have no way of deciding whether all the points are true, although I find them persuasive.

I would only say that urging a club to appoint as manager someone who was popular as a player is not a good enough reason. We need someone who can build up a squad to gain promotion and keep us in the Premiership, and the evidence for this on his CV is limited, to say the least. What we don''t want is a quick fix, but someone who can astutely assemble a squad, incorporating our juniors, over a few years. I do not see him doing this.

To be perfectly honest I am on the fence with a new manager. A manager who does a good job at one club could be better suited to another and vice versa. You really don''t know EXACTLY what will happen with any combination until it''s in place.

However, in an effort to show how statistics and, to a larger extent, differing views can be extremely misleading, see below.

It''s just a way to show that most of the time both negatives and positives can always become the other way inclined dependent on the ''spin'' attached to them.

1. His results weren''t THAT terrible considering the circumstances. And even if they were ''no better than Hughtons'', Cardiff were a newly promoted side, Norwich were supposed to be somewhat on their way to being established in their 3rd season. So if Cardiff could, on average, match the form and results of Norwich (which ''no better than'' claims) then that''s surely more impressive?

2. Well, did he though? I''m not saying the dispute wasn''t public, mostly from the media and ''Comedy Tan'' but I seem to remember him handling it with more grace and dignity than most probably would. Other league managers backed him, publicly. Other teams fans supported him (Liverpool V Cardiff, the fans in the Kop even gave him a chant). It was all a horrible injustice in many eyes. Just to add to the fire, see ''Hughton''s sacking from Newcastle'' for comparison.

3. Caulker, Campbell and Medel seemed to be adequate (again, matter of opinion really). But who DOESN''T get it wrong sometimes? I mean, really? But some of his previous signings (Mutch springs to mind) were deemed as inspired by Cardiff fans

4. He was given a big budget in the Championship, who WOULDN''T make the most of that? Hard to argue though when you haven''t made it clear which ''problems'' you refer to.

5. But he got them promoted in what I recall was a pretty competitive season (thought the Championship in it''s own right usually is). Cardiff still went up, you can onoly beat what''s put in front of you, ask Celtic fans.

6. No comment

7. By that mindset, are all of our current players ''relegation rejects''? Overhaul quickly.

8. We can''t really know that, what if he takes charge of a club, turns out he was a ''perfect fit'' and the rest is history. We just don''t know. We can assume, based on the information available, but we can''t KNOW.

PS, stats always lie. Football is not played on spreadsheets.

Not a pro-Malky post, I''m not really ''pro'' anyone right now. I''m in the ''wait and see'' club. Whatever happens, just get behind the team, simple as that to me.

Hey, maybe I''m an optimist (which may be why I don''t post very often on here...)

Just pointing out that things can be easily turned around depending how you look at them.

Please don''t judge me on all of the randoms p''s. I have no idea what has just happened.

I normally post from a laptop, it seems my tablet has rebelled. Maybe it got a virus from some of the posts on here.

1. He only had a short spell and it was Cardiff 1st year up rather than our 3rd

2. We all know what the Cardiff owner is like it was no surprise

3. Who actually signed the players? Owner interference?

4. Ditto 3

5. Doesn''t matter the tally he still did and had a fantastic cup run too.

6. Really!

7. His management record is quite good look what he did with watford with little resource

8. Hardly had a chance did he?

Malky understands the champ way of football and will probably get us up - Whether he can keep us there is another thing but to get us up would not be a disaster

I''ve given up using a tablet for posting for similar reasons,FD. My mind is still open about the new manager but I can see Malky being a strong manager respected by the players with both PL and championship experience.

All of you who think you own a crystal ball are really just making yourselves look pathetic!

The OP is being criticised for negativity and not giving the guy a chance to prove himself with us. This would perhaps be fair criticism if Mackay had been installed but at this time, it is just an opinion and a warning against the appointment.

As I have said in other threads, I feel too many are influenced in Mackay''s favour by a delusion that because he once played for the club he will bring something extra that others would not possess. He has had a string of former clubs (as player and manager) and allegiance to all of them would have ceased on the day of his departure.

I just hope the delay in events is nothing to do with waiting for him to be excluded from other applications (notably West Brom).

@ Purple - taking an unashamedly short term perspective - I would rank my preferences in this order:

1. Warnock

2. Lennon (I acknowledge he hasn''t Championship experience but he is an experienced manager at the equivalent level of football).

3. Rosler (he took an equivalent team to Norwich to the play-offs this season).

4. Malky

[quote user="Highland Canary"]@ Purple - taking an unashamedly short term perspective - I would rank my preferences in this order:

1. Warnock

2. Lennon (I acknowledge he hasn''t Championship experience but he is an experienced manager at the equivalent level of football).

3. Rosler (he took an equivalent team to Norwich to the play-offs this season).

4. Malky[/quote]Highland, thanks for the reply. Warnock WAS a good manager, and might make a decent director of football (not that we are looking for that), and might have been OK as someone for our last five games of this last season. But he is simply too old for a manager''s job now. As far as I know Rosler is not available. Why would he leaves Wigan for us? And if you are looking - as you are - for the best bet to get us out of the Championship first time around then Mackay''s credentials are the best of anyone''s, and certainly better than those of Lennon, who has no experience in a proper league - ie one in which there is genuine competition. Look at the Championship for next season. There are easily a dozen other clubs with serious ideas about promotion. Lennon has never been in that kind of fight, tailoring tactics over 46 games to suit different teams. His reputation, such as it is, rests on plucky performances as the underdog in Europe. Not what we need.

Some of the opening points are worthy of consideration even though they amount to a re-hash of what most of the anti-Mackay brigade have been expounding for a while now.

It is all a matter of personal opinion and then facts can be manufactured to support that opinion. For every black there is a white, so to speak.

One thing I am not keen on is when opinion is presented as fact as in the OP''s title "Why appointing Malky will be a disaster." I would have taken in more if it had read "Why appointing Malky might be a disaster.

The fact is that nobody really knows, and clearly not our Board either, of the good or the bad outcome of any appointment. It is always the roll  of the dice in these matters.

For me Malky Mackay would be a decent bet as for the most part his CV is best suited to the needs of NCFC at this moment in time.

It''s all about opinions Purple but my perception, and acknowledging the uncompetitive nature of Scottish football, is that Lennon is essentially a winner. On the other hand given recent Zola speculation, my recollection from debates about his management style is that he likes to get ''close'' to the players which, in my view, is the polar opposite of what we need. In fairness, I think both Lennon and Malky would bring a no nonsense approach to managing the players. In that sense, Zola represents only a marginal upgrade on Adams.