Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

It must be Lennon

[quote user="Champions"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Buh"]

If he gets a team promoted to the prem and keeps them there his stock will be so much higher than going to west brom and getting sacked after 6 months.[/quote]Or winning the SPL again, against League One-level opposition, and valiantly failing to get out of a tough Champions League group. Even when Rangers get back in the SPL, they won''t be at Celtic''s level for at least a couple of years. I can see the appeal in heading south now, if I''m honest.[/quote]

Or being within a couple of points of pipping Barcelona to first place.

Rangers won''t be back - they are dead. The Rangers International will enter the SPL for the very first time, however.[/quote]I''m well aware of what Lennon has achieved. All I''m saying is that there''s a glass ceiling for ''smaller'' clubs, which is what Celtic are in the context of the Champions League. APOEL got to the quarter-finals in 2012, which was the arguably the most incredible achievement in CL history – without the financial clout of the bigger players, Celtic will never be able to get close to winning the Champions League. Europa League isn''t out of the question, but my point is that there''s a greater chance of Lennon achieving less than he''s already achieved if he stays. The SPL is a one-horse race, which effectively means his only true challenge is Europe. A move south now would be a different challenge and a different kind of motivation – to be a big fish in a small pond, scrapping for points week-in, week-out.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]I could manage Celtic and win the scottish title and cups, specially when you play these big teams like Alloa and St mirren on a weekly basis!! bet Mr Doomcaster is doing great things for conference scottish football!![/quote]

Alloa are several divisions below Celtic.

Nice to see you''re so clued up on a league to make an assessment like that.

I''m sure the only enjoyment you lot will get out of the Championship next year will be telling the locals of Brentford about electricity and fire.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Champions"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Buh"]

If he gets a team promoted to the prem and keeps them there his stock will be so much higher than going to west brom and getting sacked after 6 months.[/quote]Or winning the SPL again, against League One-level opposition, and valiantly failing to get out of a tough Champions League group. Even when Rangers get back in the SPL, they won''t be at Celtic''s level for at least a couple of years. I can see the appeal in heading south now, if I''m honest.[/quote]

Or being within a couple of points of pipping Barcelona to first place.

Rangers won''t be back - they are dead. The Rangers International will enter the SPL for the very first time, however.[/quote]I''m well aware of what Lennon has achieved. All I''m saying is that there''s a glass ceiling for ''smaller'' clubs, which is what Celtic are in the context of the Champions League. APOEL got to the quarter-finals in 2012, which was the arguably the most incredible achievement in CL history – without the financial clout of the bigger players, Celtic will never be able to get close to winning the Champions League. Europa League isn''t out of the question, but my point is that there''s a greater chance of Lennon achieving less than he''s already achieved if he stays. The SPL is a one-horse race, which effectively means his only true challenge is Europe. A move south now would be a different challenge and a different kind of motivation – to be a big fish in a small pond, scrapping for points week-in, week-out.[/quote]

Celtic have already won the Champions League. In fact, we were the first British team to ever do so.

With some work, this squad could easily reach the Last 8. If we still had Wanyama and Hooper we would have narrowly missed out on the Semi finals this year.

Look guys, don''t have a go at this guy

I''m fairly sure he''s not even a Celtic fan. He''s not doin that weird thing Scottish fans do of "typing in their accent"

Y''alroight buh?

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]But you didn''t have either of them, did you, because they both felt moves to Southampton and Norwich were a significant step up from Celtic.[/quote]

Hooper and Wanyama were both offered contracts below what they wanted.

Wanyama wanted £35k - Celtic have a £30k wage cap. Hooper was deemed replaceable, so the money was spent on other players.

[quote user="Champions"]With some work, this squad could easily reach the Last 8. If we still had Wanyama and Hooper we would have narrowly missed out on the Semi finals this year.[/quote]

[:O][:$]

Bless your delusion  [{][}]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Champions"]With some work, this squad could easily reach the Last 8. If we still had Wanyama and Hooper we would have narrowly missed out on the Semi finals this year.[/quote]

[:O][:$]

Bless your delusion  [{][}]

[/quote]

We can beat anyone at Celtic Park. Our defence and goalkeeper are absolutely solid. We''d match anyones midfield with Wanyama in it. Hooper is lethal when he gets the chance.

I see no reason as to why we couldn''t.

Because to the teams you play in the Champions League you are tiny irrelevant annoyances that make them travel to the hell hole that is Glasgow once a season for a routine entry into the next round.

[quote user="splutcho"]Because to the teams you play in the Champions League you are tiny irrelevant annoyances that make them travel to the hell hole that is Glasgow once a season for a routine entry into the next round.[/quote]

The likes of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Pique have all said Celtic Park is their favourite Champions league destination.

Anyway, you''re trolling. Or, actually, attempting to troll.

End of the day, you''d have a semi if you seen a fake Norwich shirt being sold in a Spanish/Turkish/Greek market - that is how irrelevant and tiny your club is.

Celtic have never won the Champions League, they won the European Cup which was a completely different competition though taken over by the Champions League.

[quote user="simmo_2"]Celtic have never won the Champions League, they won the European Cup which was a completely different competition though taken over by the Champions League.[/quote]

Same trophy.

I don''t even want him, I just kind of hope he comes now just so we can have some fun with Mr Formerglories here.

[quote user="splutcho"]I don''t even want him, I just kind of hope he comes now just so we can have some fun with Mr Formerglories here.[/quote]

It really is ironic that your club plays in a colour that is slightly gold.

[quote user="Champions"]With some work, this squad could easily reach the Last 8. If we still had Wanyama and Hooper we would have narrowly missed out on the Semi finals this year.[/quote]HAHAHAHAHA.  Remind me where did you finish in your group?Almost as deluded as Leeds fans.

[quote user="Champions"]

End of the day, you''d have a semi if you seen a fake Norwich shirt being sold in a Spanish/Turkish/Greek market - that is how irrelevant and tiny your club is.

[/quote]

You''re chucking an awfully large amount of insults around for someone who claims he is here for sensible discussion, not trolling.

Time will tell whether Lennon (not that he''d be my choice) shares your view that our club is tiny and irrelevant, or whether he agrees with Hooper, after all he''s passed up plenty of opportunities to distance himself from these rumours. I''d keep your mouth shut until there''s an announcement if I were you, egg on the face isn''t a good look.

To "Champions": Saying Lennon is a "Champions League manager" means nothing. The manager of Levski Sofia, the Bulgarian champions in 2005/6, was also a Champions League manager. Do we know who he is? No. Case closed.

And not sure why you''re so confident about Lennon not leaving Celtic Park, when you were all saying the same about Hooper last year - But then what happened? And his relative failure in the Premiership only further illustrates how non-competitive your league is.

However, and this is to you and all my fellow Norwich fans - I don''t think he will come to us. Not because he wouldn''t come to Norwich, but because we''re not in the Premiership now. Same applies to Malky, and Sherwood. All 3 could well be holding out for a prem club like West Brom or West Ham. Sadly I think we''ll see Zola, Adams, or Clarke take charge.

Personally I want Garcia or Rosler. Failing that, Adkins or Howe.

[quote user="MancCanary"]To "Champions": Saying Lennon is a "Champions League manager" means nothing. The manager of Levski Sofia, the Bulgarian champions in 2005/6, was also a Champions League manager. Do we know who he is? No. Case closed.

And not sure why you''re so confident about Lennon not leaving Celtic Park, when you were all saying the same about Hooper last year - But then what happened? And his relative failure in the Premiership only further illustrates how non-competitive your league is.

However, and this is to you and all my fellow Norwich fans - I don''t think he will come to us. Not because he wouldn''t come to Norwich, but because we''re not in the Premiership now. Same applies to Malky, and Sherwood. All 3 could well be holding out for a prem club like West Brom or West Ham. Sadly I think we''ll see Zola, Adams, or Clarke take charge.

Personally I want Garcia or Rosler. Failing that, Adkins or Howe.[/quote]

Lennon has proven he can lead a team into the Last 16.

Hooper has scored when given the chance. He is also not a lone striker - Norwich have been playing him as one, right?

Ivan Jovanovic has proven he can lead a team into the quarter finals. Avram Grant was a missed penalty away from being a Champions League winning manager. David Moyes made it through the group stages.

So what is your point?

Another Celtic fan here.

Personally, I wouldn''t grudge Lennon for leaving. The chances are he won''t be offered a job with a premier league team. Struggling teams are starting to go for the safer tried and tested (Tony Pulis, Steve Bruce etc). The job at Norwich is a great challenge for him in my opinion. He''s done a great job at Celtic, building a young, profitable, successful team on a reasonably slim budget.

A good challenge to get promotion and stabalise Norwich in the EPL could be another stepping stone to an even bigger job. He would in no way be walking out on Celtic, he''s given us 14 years of service. I think many Celtic fans would feel a wee bit hurt if we went to Norwich as they''re a smaller club than Celtic. They may be a smaller club(albeit still well supported) but financially and in terms of caliber of opposition it''s a good step.

I''d be confident he would secure promotion for you guys. He''s tactically aware as he has shown in Europe, deals well with pressure situations and plays exciting, attacking football. Some fantastic signings in among a few flops.

One final point,I don''t think it''s fair to look down on Scottish football the way English fans do, not that their opinion is remotely important. The quality may be lower end championship but this last season has been a real improvement in the product as a whole. More teams are producing exciting young players, becoming financially sound and their has been some vibrance in the stands for the first time in years. A tiny bit of respect in with the stereotypical arrogance and elitism would go far!

[quote user="splutcho"]Ivan Jovanovic has proven he can lead a team into the quarter finals. Avram Grant was a missed penalty away from being a Champions League winning manager. David Moyes made it through the group stages.

So what is your point?[/quote]

Lennon did it on a minuscule budget.

Ivan Jovanovic did it with f*cking Apoel Nicosia, the big spenders of Cyprus. Keep digging that hole though.

I''ve never seen so many posts saying someone will never come to Norwich, our views don''t matter etc etc.

It almost makes you think the posters need to keep on saying it to persuade themselves....

Correct - Hughton played him as one, stupidly.

Actually I think we should never have bought Hooper - not anything personal against that player in particular, but we should''ve bought another big, strong striker like Holt, who can play lone striker when needed (away to Chelsea for example), but then play as part of a two with a player like Wolfswinkel or Hooper.

But we bought 2 strikers who can''t play on their own, and can''t hold the ball up.

Had we have kept Holt, I''m sure Hooper would''ve scored more and we''d have stayed up.

Yes, Lennon did well to qualify for the last 16 twice. But domestically, he''s only won what is it.. 2 out of 7 domestic cups, against very very poor opposition? And his points tallies are quite a way below what O''Neill was managing back then, and that was *with* Rangers still around.

He seems a bit of mixed bag - maybe he only really lives for those 6 or so Champions League games each season. One thing''s for sure, if you had any real competition in your league, and somehow finished outside of the Champions League places, he would be gone in a shot.