Sign in to follow this  
psychedeliasmith

Daily Record - Henrik Larrson favourite to succeed Neil Lennon at Celtic

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/return-king-henrik-larsson-tipped-3584038

HENRIK LARSSON has emerged as odds on favourite to succeed Neil Lennon as Celtic manager.

Leading Scottish bookmakers, McBookie, announced that the former striker was odds on for the job this afternoon as rival firm Paddy Power temporarily suspended betting on who would be next to manage the club after a flurry of big-money bets over the past 48 hours.

The Irish firm reopened the betting this evening with Larsson a 15/8 on favourite, with second favourites Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert and former Wigan manager Owen Coyle at 11/2 and both ex-Man United gaffer Davie Moyes and current Dundee United manager Jackie McNamara at 15/2.

McBookie list Larsson as their 1-3 favourite with Coyle and Lambert listed at 6/1.

The bets have flooded in as rumours continue to grow around Celtic boss Lennon''s future.

The Irishman is widely believed to have made Norwich''s short-list of three for the vacant manager''s job, with former boss Malky Mackay and Gianfranco Zola, also in the frame as City plot a return to England''s top flight.

Lennon has also been tipped to succeed relegated West Bromwich Albion manager Pepe Mel at the Hawthorns, although sources close to the manager suggest that this move is a non-starter, despite the Celtic manager making clear that he would like to manage in England sometime in the future.

Looking at it logically.

West Brom have not given a manager any form of patience or loyalty when you consider how well Clarke did with them, or that Mel managed to keep them up despite the situation when he took over.

They''ll go into next season as one of the favourites to be relegated and operate on a pretty tight budget.

If Lennon wants to manage in England he wants to do so somewhere he will have a chance to build.

In some ways, the Championship is a far greater starting point for an ambitious manager rather than the top flight where instant failure can leave you on the rejection pile for a while.

Plus he is likely to get more support from people he knows. And wasn''t their away kit our home kit at one point?

I''ve not really been taken in that much with this Lennon link - Celtic is a big club and surely there would be more noise about it/media talk from their end, but perhaps there is something in it (if maybe not to us)

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''ve not really been taken in that much with this Lennon link - Celtic is a big club and surely there would be more noise about it/media talk from their end, but perhaps there is something in it (if maybe not to us)[/quote]

there would be headlines just like any other managerial movement "team a give manager x permission to talk to team b" etc

until we see those, it simply isnt going to be Lennon imo

I was told by a reliable source he interviewed for the position. Therefore this must have happened already. We interviewed 4, Lennon, Malky, Zola and Adams.

Therefore 1 of them will get the job!!

I hope out of the 4 we go with:

1. Lennon

2. Adams

3. Zola

4. Malky

I reckon that someone else must now be sniffing around our selection to have caused this hold up!!

Just yesterday Lennon said he was worried about teams raiding Celtic this summer (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/celtic/lennon-fear-over-summer-raids-on-celtic-stars-164198n.24272239)

Why would he care about this if he wasn''t going to remain as the Celtic manager?

Don''t get your hopes up, you''re not getting a proven Champions League level manager.

Proven champions league manager? ? You''re having a laugh, my mum could manage Celtic and win the SPL. You can keep him as far as I''m concerned.

With 60+ posts on this site you do seem to have a strange interest in our little Championship club.

As for proven CL manager, you do keep insisting, but I must have missed those title wins and final appearances. No, it has merely been the odd giant killing - no more than the equivalent of a Champs/League One side beating a PL side every now and then.

I''d personally prefer we didn''t get Lennon, ''proven'' as he may be - he is not managing in a league that could be considered remotely competitive and I''m far from convinced he would be up to what is probably one of the most competitive around

[quote user="InchY"]Proven champions league manager? ? You''re having a laugh, my mum could manage Celtic and win the SPL. You can keep him as far as I''m concerned.[/quote]

"Oi Oi! See that facking Scotch cloob Celtic got as far as United, Arsenal and Chelsea." "Facking ''ell we betta sweep this woon oonder the carpet".

Your predictive text seems to have gone a bit strange. We don''t want him, simples.

[quote user="Champions"][quote user="InchY"]Proven champions league manager? ? You''re having a laugh, my mum could manage Celtic and win the SPL. You can keep him as far as I''m concerned.[/quote]

"Oi Oi! See that facking Scotch cloob Celtic got as far as United, Arsenal and Chelsea." "Facking ''ell we betta sweep this woon oonder the carpet".[/quote]

Well done on doing that once, I think proven is when you do it year after year, like say Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

Celtic are a great club and I enjoy/support them in the CL, but that is because you are the underdog.

What''s fantastic about this is that there is a book maker in Scotland called ''McBookie'', do they give everything the ''Mc'' prefix?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

What''s fantastic about this is that there is a book maker in Scotland called ''McBookie'', do they give everything the ''Mc'' prefix?

[/quote]

I was speaking to a Celtic fan yesterday.  He said "Mcking Mckell! I  don''t Mcking mcknow about Mcyou, but I Mchope McLennon Mcstays at McCeltic.  McNorwich are are a Mcking Mcjoke."     I told him to Mc off....

[quote user="itriv"][quote user="Champions"][quote user="InchY"]Proven champions league manager? ? You''re having a laugh, my mum could manage Celtic and win the SPL. You can keep him as far as I''m concerned.[/quote]

"Oi Oi! See that facking Scotch cloob Celtic got as far as United, Arsenal and Chelsea." "Facking ''ell we betta sweep this woon oonder the carpet".[/quote]

Well done on doing that once, I think proven is when you do it year after year, like say Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

Celtic are a great club and I enjoy/support them in the CL, but that is because you are the underdog.[/quote]

That is not the first time Celtic have qualified for the Last 16.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Where did you finish in your group last season Champions?  Remind me.[/quote]

In a group consisting of Barcelona, AC Milan and Ajax? Last.

No shame in that, however. We had sold quite a few players, we still needed to replace them. Plus AC Milan''s season was over, so they ploughed everything into Europe.

Last 16 again next season, though.

[quote user="Champions"][quote user="ncfcstar"]Where did you finish in your group last season Champions?  Remind me.[/quote]

No shame in that, however. We had sold quite a few players, we still needed to replace them. Plus AC Milan''s season was over, so they ploughed everything into Europe.

Last 16 again next season, though.[/quote]Ha OK, that''s if you make it through the Qualifying Round and dependent on you getting an easy group then, right?

[quote user="Champions"][quote user="ncfcstar"]Where did you finish in your group last season Champions?  Remind me.[/quote]

Last 16 again next season, though.[/quote]

AC Milan''s season was over? When is the group stage in CL played? May?