Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Hughton's Interview!!

Was confident in keep us up with five games to go........ Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

[quote user="alartz"]Sunderlands run put us down

No one would have got the 4 extra points we need in the end[/quote]That did have an effect, of course Chris Hughton''s incompetent management for the first 33 games also had a major impact as well.

Gunn did the same after he was sacked. Said he''d have gotten us in the League 1 Play-off''s. Both Hughton and Gunn are/were deluded and are both best of out of our football club.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="alartz"]Sunderlands run put us down

No one would have got the 4 extra points we need in the end[/quote]That did have an effect, of course Chris Hughton''s incompetent management for the first 33 games also had a major impact as well.[/quote]
So incompetent that we were 5 points clear and hitting 1 point a game. Think before speaking please.

With us giving him the push when we did it was always going to give him the opportunity to say "Well I''d have kept them up".

But you''d have to ask him why he couldn''t get the players motivated for the absolutely massive game against WBA. Nothing in that game suggested we had any more about us than hoping teams below us failed to pick up points.

[quote user="GJP"]

With us giving him the push when we did it was always going to give him the opportunity to say "Well I''d have kept them up".

But you''d have to ask him why he couldn''t get the players motivated for the absolutely massive game against WBA. Nothing in that game suggested we had any more about us than hoping teams below us failed to pick up points.

[/quote]

He had a plan,( Bribe the ref.)

I don''t know what you guys were expecting him to say. Would you expect any manager appointed to a professional club to not only genuinely have no confidence in his own ability but to acknowledge it publicly too?

Sheesh!

To dismiss him was the right decision but our board made it 5 mths too late

We were relegated because of Sunderlands fabulous run at the end of the season and our inability to pick up points when playing those clubs around us

Hoots could do nothing about Sunderlands run but he was in charge of the team when we were droping points to relegation rivals

He was dismissed after the WBA game when it became clear to all present that he had thrown the towel in, to bring Bechio on for the last 20 mins when he had ignored him for 12 mths, was his last throw of the dice. The man with no plan B gambled & lost

Of course he will say he would have kept us up, he wants to work again, but all those at Carrow Road for that game new in there hearts he would not

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="alartz"]Sunderlands run put us down

No one would have got the 4 extra points we need in the end[/quote]That did have an effect, of course Chris Hughton''s incompetent management for the first 33 games also had a major impact as well.[/quote]
So incompetent that we were 5 points clear and hitting 1 point a game. Think before speaking please.
[/quote]

Still sticking up for him! How cute!

he has a possible point though. ''Houdini'' Hughton had a track record with us of pulling vital results from up his sleeve.

Either way, keeping him (and saving the contractual pay-off x 3) could not have turned out any worse than Neil Adams''s brief (I hope) tenure.

Somebody in the corridors of power lost the plot big-time IMHO.

The decision, to me at least, was either to sack CH after the disastrous holiday period or stick with him until the end. The Board fell between the two and the result was inevitable.

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="alartz"]Sunderlands run put us down

[/quote]

Still sticking up for him! How cute![/quote]

Everyone knows he should have gone on Boxing day, if not before, they say their were no other available ? they could have got Adams in, look how different the team played for him, No I''m not saying Adams should be our next manager, but you have to admit bring him in earlier it may have worked for us.

I haven''t seen the interview or even a report. Did he give any explanation of how he was going to work the miracle?

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="alartz"]Sunderlands run put us down

[/quote]Yes but we had Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool as well as Fulham away. Five games that Chris Hughton would not have got the required points from. Anyone who thinks that Hughton was doing the required job at the time he was sacked and would have kept us up is either an idiot, his mate or Chris Hughton himself.

[quote user="Paul''s Ferry"]

We were no better under Adams, in fact, with players not willing to play for him, you could easily argue that we were worse.

You must have been watching different games to most of us then.

Not saying there was massive difference but you could clearly see we played with more freedom under Adams. Man Utd no show apart!

The fact there was no massive difference is purely down to the players being so restricted by the previous management team and confidence was totally shot!

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Paul''s Ferry"]

We were no better under Adams, in fact, with players not willing to play for him, you could easily argue that we were worse.

You must have been watching different games to most of us then. Not saying there was massive difference but you could clearly see we played with more freedom under Adams. Man Utd no show apart! The fact there was no massive difference is purely down to the players being so restricted by the previous management team and confidence was totally shot![/quote]

I was watchin ga different set of games but then you say that there was no massive difference....right.

The "confidence" excuse is, in my opinion, a lazy one. It was only recently that they''d taken points from Spurs and Man City at FCR but they came unstuck against a WBA score-and-sit tactic and we couldn''t break them down, a familiar story. The team were as devoid of ideas against Fulham in the second half as they had been against West Brom, a hard fought point against Chelsea was our best performance under Adams but then we''d had isolated good games against the top sides under Hughton, albeit most of them were at home. The game against Liverpool was over as a contest in less than 10 minutes and there were no shows at Man United and at home to Arsenal.

Was I expecting a huge difference in those last few games? No.

Do I think we''d have had more chance of staying up had we left Hughton in charge for those last few games? Yes

Do I think that was an option after WBA? No

Hughton may or may not have kept us up, we''ll never know but he''s an out of work manager touting for a job, what do you expect him to say?

[/quote]When Hughton was sacked we were averaging 0.96 points a game. If that had carried on exactly we would have finished on a theoretical 36.8 points. Normally you would look to round that up, but two factors argue strongly for at best rounding it down to 36, which would still have seen us relegated.Firstly, the ratio was falling rather than staying level or rising. Secondly, the extreme difficulty of the last five games. A realistic view is that we would not even have reached 36 points, although it might have been a point or so more than the 33 we achieved.

Yeah, to apply a season-long average per game to those last 5 games is crazy, given that they were 5 of the more difficult fixtures.  Why would Hughton have started picking up points against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc - or even Fulham - when his team was losing at home to West Brom and getting rolled over in away games at Swansea, Soton and Villa ?   It beggars belief really.

Obviously he''s going to say he would have kept us up.  He would, wouldn''t he ?  Under him I wouldn''t be surprised if we had lost the last 5 frankly, that''s how we were playing.

Does he specify in which games he thinks his team would have got the 4 points required? Or is this just absolute delusion on his part?

He''s either saying that he feels we would have beaten one of the big 4 - which considering his record is highly unlikely, and that we still werent able to do this despite very commited performances. Or he is saying his team would have beaten Fulham away, which again, considering his away record for the season, and his specific record against Fulham is also highly unlikely, especially when he couldnt do it at home against West Brom in a similarly labelled ''must win game''.

So has he actually specified how he thought this might come about, or should we call a psychiatrist?

His last act against West Brom relegated us. It was all over then. He would have fared no better than Adams in those remaining games

Exactly that JF! The result vs West Brom was ultimately the blow that sent us down, where HE WAS responsible. Can''t believe he''s spewing such bollocks publicly.

Can''t blame him - he''s a professional believe it or not and he''d have faith in his own ability.

It was clear as daylight after that West Brom result things would be very, very difficult. Put that alongside Sunderlands run-in and no-one would have kept us up

To be honest, he says in the interview that he''s looking to get back into management as soon as he can. If that''s the case he''s hardly likely to go to the press and say "We were doomed, relegation was a certainty, I had lost the dressing room and my coaching team were inept".

[quote user="Paul''s Ferry"][quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Paul''s Ferry"]

You must have been watching different games to most of us then. Not saying there was massive difference but you could clearly see we played with more freedom under Adams. Man Utd no show apart! The fact there was no massive difference is purely down to the players being so restricted by the previous management team and confidence was totally shot![/quote]

I was watchin ga different set of games but then you say that there was no massive difference....right.

The "confidence" excuse is, in my opinion, a lazy one. It was only recently that they''d taken points from Spurs and Man City at FCR but they came unstuck against a WBA score-and-sit tactic and we couldn''t break them down, a familiar story. The team were as devoid of ideas against Fulham in the second half as they had been against West Brom, a hard fought point against Chelsea was our best performance under Adams but then we''d had isolated good games against the top sides under Hughton, albeit most of them were at home. The game against Liverpool was over as a contest in less than 10 minutes and there were no shows at Man United and at home to Arsenal.

Was I expecting a huge difference in those last few games? No.

Do I think we''d have had more chance of staying up had we left Hughton in charge for those last few games? Yes

Do I think that was an option after WBA? No

Hughton may or may not have kept us up, we''ll never know but he''s an out of work manager touting for a job, what do you expect him to say?

Read my second sentence again.

Confidence does affect individual players and the team as a whole. If you ever played the game you would understand this.

The games vs Spurs and Man City were no where near enough to give our players the confidence needed to avoid relegation after nearly the whole season playing a dire and confidence draining system.

I disagree you can easily argue that we played worse under Adams and reiterate my statement that we played with more freedom.

There was no way in hell we would have stayed up under Hughton and the trend most definitely showed that.

It''s truly amazing how many people have fooled themselves into thinking we were any better under Adams. Blinkered.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Yeah, to apply a season-long average per game to those last 5 games is crazy, given that they were 5 of the more difficult fixtures.  Why would Hughton have started picking up points against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc - or even Fulham - when his team was losing at home to West Brom and getting rolled over in away games at Swansea, Soton and Villa ?   It beggars belief really.

Obviously he''s going to say he would have kept us up.  He would, wouldn''t he ?  Under him I wouldn''t be surprised if we had lost the last 5 frankly, that''s how we were playing.

[/quote]Spot on.All ex-managers spout the same old drivel. They''re more deluded than us lot on here.....

[quote user="splutcho"]It''s truly amazing how many people have fooled themselves into thinking we were any better under Adams. Blinkered.[/quote]

It is not fair or sensible to even consider how we were under Neil Adams. Neil was a "too late" caretaker for the final five games that were always going to result in very little return for us. Chris Hughton''s approach to the game steered us to our demise. That''s the reality of the situation. We all know it, even if some of us have difficulty admitting it.

Arguably, this is a good example of the theory of cognitive dissonance where the then management team''s expectation was that we would avoid PL relegation but reality was obviously predicting the opposite.

I bet Morty believes Hughton, he was urging us all to back him right up to when he was sacked.

Hughton should have been given a tin hat and told to suffer the situation. Instead, he got a ''Get Out of Jail Free'' card.

IMHO he should have been sacked at the end of last season, the writing was on the wall distorted by two misleading results. As a Premier League club we could have attracted a high calibre replacement.

Hughton''s ''must win'' game was against West Brom at home, which he lost. That result alone saw Norwich relegated but it would have still been a dire season had we just scraped survival. Dire but (just) acceptable.