Sign in to follow this  
Kolin Kob

idiots on this board

how can anyone be calling for worthington''s head?

this is the man who:

1) saved us from relegation to the third flight

2) took us to the playoffs with a very mediocre squad he had inherited

3) took us to the premiership via a strong championship win

4) almost got us to stay up last season

5) has let us see the likes of ashton, huckerby, crouch, marney and bentley play in yellow and green. if you were told you''d see that under hamilton you would have laughed.

after all he has given us, to sack worthy on the basis of just 5 mediocre games would be some kind of treason in my book. we have so often said that charlton are the one team we wish to emulate. charlton did not get where they are today by sacking alan curbishley when they got relegated first time round in the prem.

have some faith in the man.

I''m out on the Worthy decision at the moment, although if I were neutral I would certainly be asking how long he has. The fact is, the past does not matter - it is what he is doing with the team at the moment which is what matters....everyone can reflect on the successful days we saw from 02/03 and 03/04, but none of it can help what is happening NOW.

I have to say that most of his purchases/loan signings are great even if the player takes a while to settle in. Look at the loan signings - Huckerby, Bentley and Marney were/are good for us. His weakness is having favourites who are picked for every match even if they were rubbish in the previous game. We still see it now with Ashton and Huckerby (who were clearly not 100% fit), and to some extent Fleming (not as much this season, but who has been the weak link at the back for a bit).

On this board, and others, it is not just the five games this season that people are basing their decision on the manager. Even last season, the Worthy out debate was hotting up while he repeatedly put out the same under performing team.

The other thing I would like to add to BUC''s post is the question of whether Norwich City are improving in their team play? Yes we have better footballers than two years ago but I''m not sure I could say hand on heart that the football has improved. Whilst watching Chelsea play recently on tv neither my son or myself could recall Chelsea having played one long high ball forward. If we are buying better players (Safri, Marney, Huckerby, Colin, Ashton etc) then surely we need to exploit their abilities by keeping the ball on the pitch?

None of what he has done in the past can reflect on what he will do in the future.

There''s a lot of managers who have taken a club beyond it''s wildest dreams, but then got carried away and took them to a worse place than when they started.

The club will be here long after Nigel Worthington, he is a piece in a history jigsaw. Sentiment has no bearing on what is best for NCFC.

The reasons Worthy shouldn''t go are not because of what he''s done (that''s in the past, no room for sentimentality in football) but because it''s too late, too costly and too bold a move for our board to undertake.

People need to realise Worthy''s here for the duration and stop talking rubbish about something that''ll never happen.

[quote]The reasons Worthy shouldn''t go are not because of what he''s done (that''s in the past, no room for sentimentality in football) but because it''s too late, too costly and too bold a move for our board t...[/quote]

Actually I disagree with your comments.

Football is now a business. When the product becomes difficult to sell - poor performances, poor results and the like, then the managers of that business, the club''s board, are left with the decision on whether or not they change the product.

As it stands Worthington is currently a part of producing that product. In fact I would say he is integral to the product. When the product becomes not fit for the purpose, "entertainment", then something has to change. In football, the easiest change to make is to bring in a new manager to add some fresh life to that failing product. The product currently on offer is clearly leaving a sour taste in some supporters mouths, "loyal" supporters and/or otherwise.

What''s the quote so often bandied about - the only thing certain in life is death and taxes.

Worthy does not have a god given right to a job with the club if he''s not producing the goods. So don''t go thinking that Worthy will alwsys be there. If the board is serious about the club then there will come a point where his future WILL be debated.

And by the way why is it too late and too costly to consider changing the manager?

[quote]The reasons Worthy shouldn''t go are not because of what he''s done (that''s in the past, no room for sentimentality in football) but because it''s too late, too costly and too bold a move for our board t...[/quote]

Too costly? I think you will find that it will be far more costly when, if there is no drastic improvement, we finish mid to lower-mid table and we lose all of our best players.

I wonder what the Worthington fans will be saying should that happen?

Most Worthy supporters will say look what he has done and where we were when he took over , we are now lower than we he arrived and he has had millions to spend, some achievement that .

He isnt going whatever we say so i dont bother replying to most of the Worthy out threads. I have faith he CAN do it. But something should be changed, perhaps in the coaching staff or indeed the manager (although i dont really see who would replace him). WE may just lack confidence

whenever a player ceases to perform or reaches their sell-by-date they''re sold or more likely be given away in the ubiquitous "contract terminated by mutual consent" scenario.

How many players who contributed to our success in the past 3 or 4 seasons have been treated this way?

Why should Nigel Worthington be treated any different?

He has some of the best players in this division but is unable to manage them to the extent they get the expected results.

I don''t agree with the calls for his dismissal at this stage as i think it will only make matters worse but its not unreasonable for many of the so-called idiots on this board to question Nigel''s position.

21st in a league where few clubs have the talent in the squad that we have, after 4 home games out of five played is the bare bones of the situation.

On top of this the defence remains disorganised (I did watch the game and not my PSP as accused elsewhere:laugh but remains a far better unit than a midfield that looks bereft of ideas, committment, passing or tackling ability other than the superb Youssef, and a tactial approach toa game that has not yet found a way of playing against a 5 man midfield or even seems to recognise that we cant do it.

Yes we could have been top had we taken our chances; if we had done so last season we would not have been relegated.  No team or striker takes all its chances - all strikers miss more chances than goals scored (except maybe Jimy Greaves, but he was exceptional); we are creating very little, look one dimensional in attack and unlikley to keep a clean sheet at the back. The midfield cant retin possession or win the ball back and the only goal we have scored in over 300 mins of football was a fluke the striker knew nothing about against a struggling league one team. 

Unlike some I would still not be happy had we taken our chances - that was the case in the promotion season as well as last year.  If we were top now it would only be hiding the issues within the coach and playing staff that are manifesting itself on the pitch now and they would have found us out later in the season.  At least this way the management can sort them out before it is too late - no promotion this year mean a cheerio to Green, Shacks, Safri and Ashton who all deserve to be playing in the prem, and that will mean NO promotion for city.  

We have got the RESULTS our PERFORMANCES have deserved; even though it is only 5 games the league table is not lieing.  It is not bad luck; theteam needs to have improvement coached into them, but my faith (wiz, I am still just holding your hand on this) is starting to wear thin; not because of 5 games but because of at least 12 months of the same problems being present.

This squad of player should get us promoted - but will the management let them down?

OTBC

If he keeps losing of course he will go. if he picks up and we start to challenge he will be safe. Its a simple as that. Directors dont sack managers - fans do.

If you are looking for an example of a manager taking a club as far as he can just look at what happened down the road. Burley took Ipswich into the playoffs numerous times, won promotion and got them into Europe. He then thought he could do no wrong and Ipswich have now spent 4 years struggling for cash and performance. I really don''t want to see this happen at Norwich but sadly think it might just be happening right now.

Kolin Kob - You should try harder at being rude and patronising! The only idiots on the board will be Delia and Co if they don''t get shot of Worthington when the results are still as poor in 5 or 10 games'' time -  which they will be. Nigel''s taken us as far as he can and it''s time for change if he can no longer motivate the players. 

Some very odd and contradictory posts on here. History counts for nothing say many. So why the gripe about results that are theoretically history ?

Appoint another manager/coach/ball boy etc claim some. On what basis would those appointments be made ? Past performance, as almost all the ''Worthy out'' postees would have, ie someone who has a proven track record.

Past history I think that''s called.

To further claim that we are in a worse position then we were when Worthington took over is stupid. This is early days in the season. Base your argument against the same time in the season.

Whilst the cost should not be the deciding factor in replacing a a manager it doesn''t help to post up silly claims. Worthington''s contract would have to paid up as would the existing contract on the new manager. His new contract would have to be costed. This would also apply to any sacked coaching staff and incoming staff. Most likely something around a couple of million at the least.

What lies behind much of this idiotic bleating is the arrogant (or naive) belief that we have a god given right to automatic success and that any failure in that right can be addressed by identifying a readily easy scapegoat and villifying him. We as fans have no knowledge about any internal strife or problems other than the manager must be the cause rather than the answer.

Some of the posts on here appear to suggest nothing more than some primitive urge to find a hate figure to demonise.

Burn the witch.

I am not an idiot for disagreeing with you any more than you are an idiot for disagreeing with me.

Apart from undercover binners, we all participate in this site because we love the club and want to share our views.  The site figures show that many more people view threads than contribute so the majority of users seem to want to see the views of others.

Let''s have some respect and comradeship around here please.

I entered into the pact with Wiz to wait 10 games before again criticising and I am a man of my word in all things.  However, it is clear that there were things badly wrong on Saturday (yes I was there) and that apart from Dean''s poor form, they have been around for a long time.  Fans are right to be concerned and whilst responses vary, all are heartfelt. 

Worthy''s recent comments amount to little more than "Think happy thoughts and you can fly to Neverland"  Personally, I would like to see more positive intervention whether through signings, selection, coaching or just some tactics.

I still hope that Wiz is right but if we are still in this position after 10 games then the pressure on the Board will be immense.

UNITED IN OUR LOVE FOR CITY

There are a number of points that should be considered when it comes to the question of Worthington and whether he should stay or go -

1) Given the amount of money that he has recommended to be invested in the team,(more than any other manager in our history), is he getting a good return on that investment this season?

2) Did he get a good return on that investment last season?

3) Has he been capable over the last 15 months of lifting the team''s determination at crucial times?

4) Has the quality of play improved over the last 15 months?

5) Do the players play their hearts out for him?

6) Why does he sign players then seemingly refuse to play them - a behaviour that goes right back to the time that he took over.

7) Are we in a lower position now then when he took over?

In my opinion the answers are - no;no;no;no;no; don''t know;yes. Whilst there was a time when we were moving forward under his stewardship we have not done so for a considerable period of time.

It is all very well saying that if such and such had scored instead of missing we would be way up the league this season - the problem is that we didn''t. That is as bad as saying that if we hadn''t conceeded this goal, or that goal, we would have stayed up last season, or gathered more points this season. Such comments are mere conjecture. The fact is that we did get relegated last year as a result of Worthington''s management. The fact is that we are in a poor position this year as a result of Worthington''s management.

Given that I feel the way I do, based on fact, why does that make me, and others who think the same way, an idiot?

So now there are idiots on the board..funny that... I thought we were all Norwich City fans wanting the best for our team, maybe we have differnt opinions or ideas on how this can be acheived, but idiots.....I dont think so!!!

OTBC

St.John

[quote]how can anyone be calling for worthington''s head? this is the man who: 1) saved us from relegation to the third flight 2) took us to the playoffs with a very mediocre squad he had inherited 3) too...[/quote]

My reason for wanting Worthington to go?  The same one as I always have had.  Tactical Naivety and late substitutions. 

Saturdays examples of this?  Going on goal  down, then leaving it twenty minutes before chainging things.  Bringing on Dorchety in a bizarre position at the expense of the only aggressive, passing defender we have.  Pushing Charlton forward in some bizarre left wing role, the sum total of it all being five minutes of total confusion where the players themselves were trying to work out what was going on.

Oh and giving McVeigh five whole minutes when Mackenzie was rubbish all day.  Surely he could have done no worse for twenty minutes up front.

Classup example from last season?  Fulham.  A game NOT to be lost.  So we play the same 442 and get overrun when it was a game crying out for a five man midfield.