Sign in to follow this  
Brentwood Yellow

McNally was brought in to stop nonsense like this

So how has this happened again? Mr McNally needs to resign; appointing Hughton, not removing him earlier, appointing the former host of Canary Call and then not securing the board''s first choice and ending up with the former host of Canary Call as full time manager.

This is a disgraceful appointment - a very dark day for Norwich City.

From reading various fan''s forums this would already seem to be one of the most unpopular appointments in the history of NCFC.

It is hardly NA''s fault though and he now needs our full support. Perhaps the Board know something most of the rest of us don''t?

However, there is such a massive let down associated with this news, deja-vu, lack of ambition, small time thinking, call it what you like.

I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

McNally takes the slack when the board make a joint decision essentially. Delia and co have always been a fan of Adams that''s always going to help his case.

Can stick it all on McNally, everyone knows he wanted Malky and Lennon.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]McNally takes the slack when the board make a joint decision essentially. Delia and co have always been a fan of Adams that''s always going to help his case.

Can stick it all on McNally, everyone knows he wanted Malky and Lennon.[/quote]

If Mcnally wanted either of those 2 and dint get either then he may as well resign

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]McNally takes the slack when the board make a joint decision essentially. Delia and co have always been a fan of Adams that''s always going to help his case.

Can stick it all on McNally, everyone knows he wanted Malky and Lennon.[/quote]

so whys he still here?

[quote user="Brentwood Yellow"]So how has this happened again? Mr McNally needs to resign; appointing Hughton, not removing him earlier, appointing the former host of Canary Call and then not securing the board''s first choice and ending up with the former host of Canary Call as full time manager.

This is a disgraceful appointment - a very dark day for Norwich City.[/quote]Welcome to the real world. If the first choice (probably Mackay) thinks he can do better elsewhere (about which he may well be right) then there is not a lot any chief executive or board of directors can do. Adams was obviously not top of the list. He ended up there because we are a Championship club competing with Premier League clubs (and possibly Celtic) for the few managers available we thought worthy. We lost out. It happens.

Sorry PurpleCanary but you cannot appoint a manager on the basis that he is "available". You have to take your time, do your research, weigh up the options and get it right. This is the most important decision this Football Club has ever had to make. With a £64m payment, appointing Adams, because he was "available" is not good enough or acceptable.

God help him if we lose our first home game in August.

Does anyone really think that the Majority Shareholder''s and the board actually give a fug or care about what we think?

Season Ticket money''s been banked......and they''ve made the appointment of the new manager......so, we can all now go forth and multiply....

Personally, I really do hope Neil is a success.......and I seriously want him to be......But, I feel that he isn''t quite ready......yet.....

I would have thought the early search and appointment of a manager was so that we could try to keep key players to stick with us for another season. The Adams appointment seems to suggest they''ll just have a firesale instead. Whilst it was obvious RVW, Fer, Bassong etc were off, I thought we had a chance at keeping Howson, maybe even Hooper if we could appoint a quality, ambitious manager.I struggle to see how we will attract anyone to the club to play under Adams, and we''ll be left with his youth team!

[quote user="Brentwood Yellow"]Sorry PurpleCanary but you cannot appoint a manager on the basis that he is "available". You have to take your time, do your research, weigh up the options and get it right. This is the most important decision this Football Club has ever had to make. With a £64m payment, appointing Adams, because he was "available" is not good enough or acceptable.

God help him if we lose our first home game in August.[/quote]That is not what I am saying at all. My point is you can only choose from those that make themselves available. I wanted Mackay all the way through and it seems so did the board. But whoever it was ahead of Adams in the list, and there was obviously someone because of the delay and Delia''s remark about it all being complicated, had other options. Either they eventually turned us down or gave us the strong impression they would sooner or later.You talk about getting it right as if there were several suitably qualified managers falling over themselves to take the job. From the lists I saw here there wasn''t such a rush of candidates. Once Mackay (if it was Mackay) played hard to get Adams was bound to shoot up the list.Highland mentions Zola, and it seems he was interested, but I wasn''t keen on Zola. And I wasn''t alone in doubting his credentials.

I wanted Malky too. I can think of 100 managers I would have wanted ahead of Adams, including Zola. I cannot believe they have done this. If they couldn''t attract a better manager than Neil Adams (assuming they didn''t fancy Zola), then they have either undersold the club, or don''t know enough about Football to have such a big influence.

On a slight side note, they also seem to have this obsession of playing attacking Football all of a sudden. Where was this obsession when they appointed Hughton? And does this mean that they''re instructing the manager how he should play?

My gut feeling is that McNally will have resigned soon.I cannot for one moment think this was his decision and i note we had no big press conference to announce it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Brentwood Yellow"]Sorry PurpleCanary but you cannot appoint a manager on the basis that he is "available". You have to take your time, do your research, weigh up the options and get it right. This is the most important decision this Football Club has ever had to make. With a £64m payment, appointing Adams, because he was "available" is not good enough or acceptable.

God help him if we lose our first home game in August.[/quote]That is not what I am saying at all. My point is you can only choose from those that make themselves available. I wanted Mackay all the way through and it seems so did the board. But whoever it was ahead of Adams in the list, and there was obviously someone because of the delay and Delia''s remark about it all being complicated, had other options. Either they eventually turned us down or gave us the strong impression they would sooner or later.You talk about getting it right as if there were several suitably qualified managers falling over themselves to take the job. From the lists I saw here there wasn''t such a rush of candidates. Once Mackay (if it was Mackay) played hard to get Adams was bound to shoot up the list.Highland mentions Zola, and it seems he was interested, but I wasn''t keen on Zola. And I wasn''t alone in doubting his credentials.[/quote]

Zola credentials had to be about 10 fold better than Adams and he was 5th on my list.

OMG What have the board done

Awful, awful, awful. How can we unite behind the club when things like this happen? Aside from Lambert, I haven''t had a manager I was in favour of going back years now. Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Hughton. After everything that had happened, still they don''t learn? Stunned!!!!

[quote user="whoareyou"]My gut feeling is that McNally will have resigned soon.I cannot for one moment think this was his decision and i note we had no big press conference to announce it.[/quote]Let me see if I have this straight. Smith and Jones go public on Monday saying McNally is the most important person at the club and we couldn''t do without him etc. So on Thursday they overrule him to put him in a position where he pretty much has to resign. A bit convoluted. I prefer the simpler explanation that they all came to the sad conclusion that when they first choice or choices had turned them down they were left with Adams.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Let me see if I have this straight. Smith and Jones go public on Monday saying McNally is the most important person at the club and we couldn''t do without him etc. So on Thursday they overrule him to put him in a position where he pretty much has to resign. A bit convoluted. I prefer the simpler explanation that they all came to the sad conclusion that when they first choice or choices had turned them down they were left with Adams.[/quote]It''s a confusing one. I wonder if we ever get an explanation of Delia''s "it''s complex" comment, since appointing Adams was simple . Certainly McNally dodged the question "Do you have a preferred candidate?" by repeating "We have a shortlist". There was a pointed comment about attitude, so maybe he questioned the other candidates motivation. Mick Dennis is insistent that Neil Lennon was never considered.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Let me see if I have this straight. Smith and Jones go public on Monday saying McNally is the most important person at the club and we couldn''t do without him etc. So on Thursday they overrule him to put him in a position where he pretty much has to resign. A bit convoluted. I prefer the simpler explanation that they all came to the sad conclusion that when they first choice or choices had turned them down they were left with Adams.[/quote]It''s a confusing one. I wonder if we ever get an explanation of Delia''s "it''s complex" comment, since appointing Adams was simple . Certainly McNally dodged the question "Do you have a preferred candidate?" by repeating "We have a shortlist". There was a pointed comment about attitude, so maybe he questioned the other candidates motivation. Mick Dennis is insistent that Neil Lennon was never considered.[/quote]We may see, but there is a scenario that fits all the facts. That we had a shortlist and whoever was top - probably Mackay - was interviewd and offered the job, even if unofficially. Hence the Wyett tweet about the club hoping to be able to announce Mackay as manager shortly.But Mackay, knowing he had other options, played hard to get. Hence the deadline being missed and then Monday''s comment from Delia about it being complex. And since then either Mackay turned the job down or made it plain we were not top of his list, no matter where he stood on ours.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]We may see, but there is a scenario that fits all the facts. That we had a shortlist and whoever was top - probably Mackay - was interviewd and offered the job, even if unofficially. Hence the Wyett tweet about the club hoping to be able to announce Mackay as manager shortly.But Mackay, knowing he had other options, played hard to get. Hence the deadline being missed and then Monday''s comment from Delia about it being complex. And since then either Mackay turned the job down or made it plain we were not top of his list, no matter where he stood on ours.[/quote]It''s possible, but I think McNally''s too much of a politician to have stated on Monday that they hadn''t offered the job to anyone if it wasn''t true. Though I can well believe Mackay was non-committal and trying to keep his options open. I wonder if every candidate on their shortlist had some kind of flaw that made it difficult to choose?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]We may see, but there is a scenario that fits all the facts. That we had a shortlist and whoever was top - probably Mackay - was interviewd and offered the job, even if unofficially. Hence the Wyett tweet about the club hoping to be able to announce Mackay as manager shortly.But Mackay, knowing he had other options, played hard to get. Hence the deadline being missed and then Monday''s comment from Delia about it being complex. And since then either Mackay turned the job down or made it plain we were not top of his list, no matter where he stood on ours.[/quote]It''s possible, but I think McNally''s too much of a politician to have stated on Monday that they hadn''t offered the job to anyone if it wasn''t true. Though I can well believe Mackay was non-committal and trying to keep his options open. I wonder if every candidate on their shortlist had some kind of flaw that made it difficult to choose? [/quote]I  disagree. McNally is exactly enough of a politician to use the strict definition of "offer" - ie a formal offer - in public, saying one hadn''t been made, while knowing perfectly well an informal offer had been made. I don''t think there is much doubt whoever was our first choice had been made at least an informal offer and hadn''t said Yes.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="whoareyou"]My gut feeling is that McNally will have resigned soon.

I cannot for one moment think this was his decision and i note we had no big press conference to announce it.
[/quote]

Let me see if I have this straight. Smith and Jones go public on Monday saying McNally is the most important person at the club and we couldn''t do without him etc. So on Thursday they overrule him to put him in a position where he pretty much has to resign. A bit convoluted. I prefer the simpler explanation that they all came to the sad conclusion that when they first choice or choices had turned them down they were left with Adams.
[/quote]

Agree whoareyou, a real possibility. For some fans to think this is DMN''s decision is wrong, he has influence but not absolute power, like it or not, and if he is out voted else pulled rank upon on the identity of the new Manager then there is nothing he can do about it, he has to accept it and work with (or not, his choice) that man. Demands for him to be fired or to walk because of it are therefore OTT-maybe we had better be certain of who the ''targets'' are before demanding explanations and justice rather than thinking its his doing.

Purple, says it all as well. Agree with those words completely, feels as if that is exactly what happened.

[quote user="militantcanary"]Are you sure about this one Purple?

Official site says all the Board agreed on appointment.

Yes that caught me out as well[/quote]Your question is not clear. Am I sure about what precisely?

Or Purple the board were not able or willing to meet the demands of McKay (or the preferred candidate). Salary, bonuses, transfer and wages budget. etc. As a result negotiations hit the stalemate buffers.

I am looking for up sides and I just hope there was some consultation with the senior players to see if Neil was the choice that they would back him. I am just hoping he may be the players choice if not the peoples choice.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Or Purple the board were not able or willing to meet the demands of McKay (or the preferred candidate). Salary, bonuses, transfer and wages budget. etc. As a result negotiations hit the stalemate buffers.

I am looking for up sides and I just hope there was some consultation with the senior players to see if Neil was the choice that they would back him. I am just hoping he may be the players choice if not the peoples choice.[/quote]

Also possible (either instead of or as well as the possibility of a job at another club), especially if Mackay''s demands on the transfer budget and wages were unacceptable.

Sorry, I didn''t read your reply properly

You were expressing doubt that the Board was fundamentally split. You were correct, much to my amazement, they all even battle hardened McNally signed up for Neil Adams!!

The whole Board signed up for this one

Source - Official Site

I would be interested to know who the other interviewed candidates were apart from Zola and MacKay

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"] Can stick it all on McNally, everyone knows he wanted Malky and Lennon.[/quote]

As I''ve said on here before in recent weeks - McNally did not want Malky.

Relegation and missing out on other candidates could have maybe changed things but given a choice McNally never wanted Malky.