Sign in to follow this  
Kirkstall Yellow

Hello, Hello Neeyul!

Neeyul, eh.

To be completely honest I was a bit surprised when I got the news last night.

Although in my heart I was hoping for a leftfield appointment, someone incredible, someone no one had even mentioned before (you know, like when we signed Tettey), I was expecting a Malky or a Lennon.

Especially as Lennon had just walked from Celtic.

I would not have been particular enamoured with either, but a new, hard talking, fresh face in the dressing room would probably have been no bad thing.

Judging by McNally’s comments on Radio Norfolk, it appeared that, at that stage, our Neeyul was far from the first choice. He cited Adam’s lack of experience which implied that there were other names they were keen to pursue first.

So that suggests to me that we were turned down by at least one candidate higher on that wish list. I suspect if we had beaten west brom and stayed up Neeyul would be getting a ‘thanks but no thanks’ speech. Fine margins, eh!

The question is why were we turned down. We have (some) money to spend, a good squad (until the vultures are done), and stand a good chance of being in the top 6 next season (surely..?).

Rumours circulating tend to involve ‘relegated from the premier league’ and ‘couldn’t agree financial terms’. But perhaps there is more to it. Perhaps the board are trying to dictate a little too much with their desire for ‘the norwich way’. Something like that doesn’t develop overnight. Unless your named Lambert. Perhaps our prospective candidates didn’t want to be told how to make the team play by the board. Afterall, you need to alter your tactics for the team you face. Everyone knows that. Look at chelsea v barca. Perhaps those fabled candidates didn’t seem too keen on a technical director overseeing their job either. As useful as that may be for consistency between regimes. You can understand why it could make a prospective manager feel a little uncomfortable and undermined. We’ve seen it happen at other clubs.

The problem is, and although we rarely do agree, there was no unanimous choice from the fans. Everyone had/has their opinion and there is a lot of disagreement. I just hope that it doesn’t bubble over too soon and we give our new man a chance before the Neil Out campaign begins, which it will, inevitably.

But enough of that. We have Adams in charge now so lets think about what he brings to the table.

He’s keen. Obviously so. He loves the club which I’m sure impressed Delia. He knows the squad and the youth setup inside out. He will have had time to thoroughly plan out his vision for the future. In many ways he has the most experience of all the candidates in the sense that he HAS managed Norwich City and knows, first hand, all the problems that we have and that we face.

I’m sure he gave a glowing and enthusiastic performance in his interviews and I’m sure that he has a solid plan for how we can improve. And I bet you anything he is eager to play more attractive football, regardless of the boards insistence.

I just wonder whether he will have the lure, and the charisma to keep our biggest talent, and bring in the new blood we need. That said, Hughton had a certain lure, and look where that got us!

Someone posted on here after the Chelsea game speculating that perhaps Neil had put himself in the shop window with that performance. A ‘look what I can do’. Knowing full well we needed 3 points, he did seem happy with the draw. But for me its what that result means that is the important thing. It means that Neil can alter his style for the threat we face, and can go toe to toe with the best, tactically. Maybe. And, while nowhere near enough, I’m quite sure that point didn’t go unnoticed by the board. It showed grit, discipline and tactical astuteness. He had a plan, he stuck to it, and had Snodgrass buried his late opportunity we’d all be raving about his tactical genius. The second half against Liverpool was very good, and we showed a glimpse of what we are capable of. I would hope that that is the standard which he intends to build upon, whilst all the time having the opportunity to win ugly if need be. You don’t get promoted from the championship without grinding out a few results!

So maybe Neil Adams has got it. Maybe he’s the exciting, young, attacking, free flowing football manager we all want. I mean, if Lambert had been an ex player promoted to the hotseat we’d all feel like this too, right? Maybe Neil can pull something out of the hat. He has shown glimpses of what he can do tactically in his 5 games in charge, and against tough opposition. Hopefully dropping down a level will afford him the opportunity to cut his teeth in (slightly) more forgiving circumstances.

I’m going to get behind that man 100%, and we all need to if we want the club to have a successful season. Lets see where he can take us, and what he can really do.

Lets face it, we all want a new Lambert. Preferably a homegrown one that wont ditch us for a ‘bigger club’ in the midlands. What if its Adams. What if…

One thing is for certain, he needs to hit the ground running or he’ll be getting his P45 by Christmas.

And, anyway, I bloody love singing ‘Hello, Hello Neeyul’. Bring on the Championship!

Bloody excellent post! And let it not be forgotten that the squad was in a completely shambolic state by the time he took over. It struck me he learnt fast - but, given what he was working with (& the terminally awful situation) there wasn''t much he could do.

OTBC!!

How exactly did he learn fast, looked pretty much more of the same to me. There was no improvement in either performances or results at all. I think anybody who says there was is trying to delude themselves

Absolutely spot on post.

There are no guarantees in football as we know all too well. Appointing Adams may not have been the first choice plan, however he is a bloody good back up plan to have.

The uplift in performance during his temporary tenure was certainly noticeable. As you say his tactical nous and ability to change a game was even more pleasing to see. Give him some time at a level in which he can compete (i.e. not against 4 of the richest clubs in the world) and we could have a very shrewd manager in charge.  

He was worse than Hughton , played more defensive football than Hughton , anybody sticking up for Adams is a complete fool .

Canaryone, you have just demonstrated that you are talking out of your smelly behind. He most certainly was not more defensive than Hughton.

Who would have rather we hired?