Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Who is Ralf Rangnick?

I''ve never heard of the guy so I''ve had a quick read up including this article published by a Sunderland fan when he was their ''hipster'' choice for a while before Poyet joined:

http://www.wearewearside.com/post/2013/10/06/Who-Is-Ralf-Rangnick.aspx

I have to say I''m still at a loss as to why the recent poll indicates he is the fans choice. How has his name become ''cool'' and why would he be the answer?

If you voted for him, please tell me why (purely out of interest, I''m not having a go).

I doubt whether most of the people who voted for Ralphy actually knew who he was. They just liked the look of a different option. It was more a way of saying ''we''re not impressed with Lennon, Malky Adams etc. We want something different''. I don''t think it was a vote for Ralph, more a vote against the usual names.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I doubt whether most of the people who voted for Ralphy actually knew who he was. They just liked the look of a different option. It was more a way of saying ''we''re not impressed with Lennon, Malky Adams etc. We want something different''. I don''t think it was a vote for Ralph, more a vote against the usual names.[/quote]

You''re probably right Yellow. More of a protest vote. The guy has never managed a proper club in this country so it''s a big risk. But then it says he studied Astrophysics at Brighton Uni so he''s no thicko, and has a decent record in Germany over achieving at smaller clubs.

I didnt see the poll but more of a mystery is why he was there as an option at all?    

Once in the list he was simply latched on as a protest or blue tide voting tactic.

Personally I think the reason he got so many votes was because someone was interfering with the voting as after you had voted you could vote again. He only had 2 votes when I voted and I was keeping an eye on the votes. I refreshed the page very frequently and he was going up by loads.

I don''t think he would be a good idea though as he has never managed in England

Rangnick has an impressive record. Is proven in getting teams up from the second tier in Germany and consolidating them, but he''s also managed at bigger clubs within Germany, and did well - both domestically and in Europe (including a Champions League semi-final with Schalke).If we''re going to move for someone a bit out of the blue, he is our man.There''s probably absolutely nothing in it though, and just a name plucked out of thin air to make up the numbers in an internet poll.I''d have him ahead of all the other names mentioned though.

There''s not been to many foreign managers who didnt have playing careers in England who have done brilliantly in the championship. If we were to go with someone like this I hope the board are very certain of his credentials.

name came of the blue somewhat, i remember the schalke team he managed and thinking at the time their manager wld be worth considering but didnt he quit due to stress or ill heath? im not sure he would enjoy the intense nature of managing in the championship

Hi Guys

Not been on here a while due to the depressing nature of our season. My other team is Hannover 96 in Germany a team that was managed by Ralf Rangnick just over 10 years ago. He took H96 from the 2nd Bundesliga into the Bundesliga where they have remained since, he left Hannover and went to Schalke and was reasonably successful there with a couple of seasons in the Champs League before leaving. He went to Hoffenheim where he again got them promoted to the top division.

He studied in England and is regularly linked with jobs here, he plays an attacking style of football. Very aggressive at times.

The one real question mark over him is he left the Schalke job (left Hoffenheim to go back) because of a stress related illness and has been working as a Director of Football at Red Bull Salzburg.

A very good manager but I think he will possibly never manage again unless he has sorted out the issues that led to him stepping down from Schalke

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He''s one of those um...what do you call them?..err.... managers[/quote]

No he isn''t, he gave up management quite a while ago and has no desire to start again. He''s a Director of Football, but employed by Red Bull to help with their two clubs in Austria.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I believe he has managed, quite successfully. I saw he got ill so quite schalke, don''t know what he has though.[/quote]

He was a manager, had a nervous break down (poor fella) and vowed to never go back to it. Since then he has been employed by Red Bull to assist with their football teams.

So, he''s not an umm... err... manager.

He also won''t be coming to Norwich as the Technical Director will almost certainly be a low key appointment, to avoid them sucking focus from Adams. Norwich won''t want to be in the position that if they conceed a goal the camera pans to the Director of Football, a la Curbishley at Fulham.