Sign in to follow this  
JB

External Appointments

First time poster, long time follower of these forums.

Just want to make the point of the type of person we have appointed, not the person of Neil Adams himself. I am looking at the opinion of appointing an external person and how I believe this would have been a better choice. In the real world of our working lives, if we worked for a company or organisation who had hit upon tough times, bringing in fresh eyes brings so many more positives than moving someone through the ranks internally. They would not be afraid to say "this needs to go, this needs to change" etc. This, in my belief is due to a lack of bias towards certain elements. The risk of an internal person would be knowing the organisation too much in the sense that their viewpoint may be blinkered by procedure which may be of second nature to them, and they may not realise. This would obviously not be helpful in reversing fortunes. Going back to NCFC, Neil has shown he is not afraid to drop players given the end of last season, but my worry is, given the internal perspective he will hold, things such as training, tactics and the way he conducts himself generally may be restricted by his knowledge of the football club rather than taking a fresh perspective with no bias.

Certainly in no way a criticism of Neil Adams and I will be behind the team, and him, all the way next season. I just wondered if we have taken the wrong viewpoint when appointing an internal person rather than external?

I think people get too wound up over this kind of thing.  Internal appointments can work just as well as external appointments.  Its all down to the candidates themselves.     If on balance and having interviewed several people, the view is that the internal candidate is best for the post - then the internal appointment is the correct one. 

In certain circumstances, I would not disagree with you LDC, but I think given the club has gone down, and, in my humble opinion, needs an extra boost in the grand scheme of things. I really believed this boost and getting ready for the push back to the EPL would have been best coming from an external person with that fresh view on things which is really what I think we need. Sometimes, an internal can work, of course it can, but only when that knowledge is required. Not sure it is in this case, but, as I said before, I will back Neil next season.

[quote user="JB"]In certain circumstances, I would not disagree with you LDC, but I think given the club has gone down, and, in my humble opinion, needs an extra boost in the grand scheme of things. I really believed this boost and getting ready for the push back to the EPL would have been best coming from an external person with that fresh view on things which is really what I think we need. Sometimes, an internal can work, of course it can, but only when that knowledge is required. Not sure it is in this case, but, as I said before, I will back Neil next season.[/quote]

I see it as a lottery whichever way we go, whether its internal or external - there''s no sure fire way of knowing.   But as you say, all we can reasonably do as fans is get behind whoever is manager and give them as much support as we can.  The new season will arrive with renewed optimism - lrets hope it lasts!

In business it is actually an outside appointment that is by far the riskier option.

While I take your point about an outsider coming in and shaking things up being needed in certain circumstances that would be a good idea if it was deemed the club was stagnating in need of new blood/ideas etc.

But in fact the opposite has occurred, and it is an external appointment (Hughton and his team) that is deemed to be the reason for the clubs current plight, and it''s clear the board are keen to distance themselves from this both in terms of the man and his playing style.

The club wants to get back to playing a certain way, a way that the teams internally, other than the first team, are believed to play. An internal appointment is actually very logical as far from fresh ideas it''s back to the old that seems to be very much the message.