Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

So why NOT Neil Adams?

mrs miggins: I don''t think anyone who is saying adams is not the right person for the job are suggesting they can do better than him, only he doesn''t appear to have any real experience in management....and thats a bit scary

More to the point, are we really in a situation where the two candidates were Mackay and Adams. how much is McNally paid? £1,000,000 a year to come up with McNally and Adams... WOW! Really earning his wages there.

My cat could have come up with those names.

They''re all a gamble Peat. I think the longest serving manager left in the Champs is Lee Clark who''s been at Brum 2 seasons. And he''s probably only still there because they''re too skint to do anything about it. We got spoilt with Lambert but that sort of success is an exception not the rule. The idea of building from within for continuity is a good one. Failing that then you just get a clearout every 2 seasons.

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/index.html

My main concern with this appointment is that players often come to a club because of the manager. Most players of any quality have probably never heard of Adams and his credentials would not impress them.

If Adams was the preferred candidate why was he not appointed last week ?

Felixfan: If Adams was the preferred candidate why was he not appointed last week ?

He wasn''t. Charlie Wyatt reported Mackay turned the job down as they couldn''t come to an agreement on terms. Whether due to salary demands (unlikely), available funds (more likely) or not wanting to work with a technical director, and/or Adams as assistant (highly likely).

Mackay also might be waiting to see if a Premier League job comes available, he could walk into another championship role.

Surely players mainly come to a club because of the wages on offer and we are very much at the top of our current food chain in that perspective.

Sure the manager does have pull when there is a straight fight but money always talks in the modern game it seems.

[quote user="T"]This message board just proves the studies that those with the least knowledge and awareness are the most critical. Its a football message board for punters with absolutely no professional experience, training and qualifications. Those who have actually have some experience and awareness realise they are absolutely in no position to criticise those that have far more capability. Unfortunately the majority have neither the knowledge or awareness to realise their lack of ability to assess the situation. Knowledge and awareness teaches you humility. Sadly there is very little on here as this message board tonight demonstrates. No doubt I will get more abuse from some but I live in hope that there are some who will reflect that they don''t have sufficient skills and success in their life to ever run a football club and therefore are not in a position to criticise those that do. This message board has a culture of unconscious incompetence.[/quote]You''d be wise to apply the findings of the Dunning-Kruger effect to yourself, particularly with regards to your knowledge of statistics. Loving the irony of you of all people calling for people to be humble.

This message board just proves the studies that those with the least knowledge and awareness are the most critical. Its a football message board for punters with absolutely no professional experience, training and qualifications. Those who have actually have some experience and awareness realise they are absolutely in no position to criticise those that have far more capability. Unfortunately the majority have neither the knowledge or awareness to realise their lack of ability to assess the situation. Knowledge and awareness teaches you humility. Sadly there is very little on here as this message board tonight demonstrates. No doubt I will get more abuse from some but I live in hope that there are some who will reflect that they don''t have sufficient skills and success in their life to ever run a football club and therefore are not in a position to criticise those that do. This message board has a culture of unconscious incompetence

This has Dick Mennis stamped all over it.

Change his name to Nadiar Adachenko, and you lot would be frothing at the idea of this foreign guy that plays attacking football while developing youth players.

Indeed Dandy that is why I only talk about topics that I''m professionally qualified to talk about as I know what I know and don''t know. I''m not the one claiming to know more about running a few club or coaching football than those who are far better qualified so there is no irony. Good reference though so no doubt you agree with the concept and would be happy be hear your explanation of why you think there is an 85pc correlation between finance and points in the premier league if money is not important. By all means come up with your own explanations. Its hardly rocket science - it''s a statement of the obvious. If you know the theory then you will recognise the classic cognitive failures on this message board. Do you deny that people with less knowledge are less aware of their ability to judge and are less self aware, that people have a poor perception of probability and seek to blame individuals to deal with realities. I''m interested to know your theories on statistics, probability and cognitive perception and why you think you have a better knowledge of these matters then generally accepted theory.

Well, Nutty, Barry might support this appointment. He can repeat his question of , "What''s going on in training Neil?....although I don''t think he expressed it quite that way.

But will Adams still have the balls to reply"are you stupid" ;-)

Totally agree with your sentiments Nutty. (Are we getting old or something?!). Would like to think all those spitting feathers will be good enough to own up when Adams brings passion, exciting play - and I believe success - to Carrow Rd. (I shall be if we are not looking really good come Christmas).

People always want to believe the worst when in fact they have very little evidence to support their position,its a strange and sometimes destructive traite.

" ....people with less knowledge are less aware of their ability to judge and are less self aware, that people have a poor perception of probability and seek to blame individuals to deal with realities ..."

Spot on T. It''s always amusing to observe that the thickest people are the least aware of their thickness. To them, the world is a simple, black & white place where decisions are cut & dried, easy to make. The inevitable contradictions this leads to in everyday life they are simply unaware of, or ignore. Until reality bites.

Having worked with some intelligent people I am only too aware of my own shortcomings. But at least I''m bright enough to realise just how thick I really am!

Initially I was not overly impressed with this appointment but whether we agree with the appointment or not, it has been made.

Now is the time to support both the manager and the club.

Neil Adams now has a complete close season to develop and mould the team to the way he wants it to play.

He has a good knowledge of all the players at the club, both their playing abilities and their characters, and he should know who he wants to keep and who he would be happy to move on.

Be your own man Neil and good luck.

From what I’ve seen of Adams, he looks like a decent manager in the making. He spoke a lot of sense in the interviews pre/post those last 5 games and wasn’t in the least bit overawed by the position he found himself in or the opposition he faced. But this appointment was critical and we needed to bring in an experienced man and give Adams more exposure to first team management before throwing him in at the deep-end.

The big problem I have with this appointment is that if the Board believes that Adams is the right man, then why didn’t they appoint him in January, when we’re supposed to believe that the Board couldn’t find a credible replacement for Hughton? If they believe Adams has what it takes, then clearly they should have given him more than 5 games to save our season.

So the Board were either incompetent for not appointing Adams in January, or they will have demonstrated yet more incompetence if Adams now goes on to be a disaster. They’ve backed themselves into a completely indefensible position.

McNally saying the new manager would be appointed ‘within the week’ was yet more stupidity. If he hadn’t said that, does anyone think that Adams would have been appointed yesterday? Or do they believe the Board would have taken an extra week or two to continue with the selection process and / or continue negotiations with Malky.

Regardless of the extremely competent financial management of the club over the last few years, what''s gone on over the last season is cause for concern.

Its always a balancing act of pros and cons,  not just one or the other.   

We have a large parachute payment and good squad which should give us a good head start for promotion;   bouncing back first time is hard  but also our best option to allow continued growth of the club.  I hate bringing it up and giving Waveney fuel to his lambert-lust but I think its only the messiah that has gained promotion in his first season managing at that level or higher - experience is absolutely key.   Promotion is very much the prime aim this season.

For me the pros for adam are

• is passionate about the club
  • wants the job
  • knows the current squad
  • respected coach
  • cheap

Cons

• Basically inexperienced & unknown
    • neither coached nor managed senior pros
    • inexperienced back room staff
    • no experience of championshi

• While its harsh to solely judge him on them,  its also wrong to overlook the unconvincing 5 games
    • generally poor tactical choices, not one team sheet even looked like a winning formula. 
    • Too many changes from game to game to allow his ideas to take hold with players
    • despite knowing the players he changed the defence 4 times where stability is the key, when the real problem was always lack of chances and goals.
    • No honeymoon or motivational uplift when survival was still in our own hands.
    • Poor subs with no game changing impact.
    • only tactical success was changing shape against liverpool,  from the one that had already lost the game.
    • only scored once game lost

However the choice has been made,   he wont leave the club earlier than Coyle did Wigan last season so we have to get behind the team come august.

As with any manager we will start judging him before then.    I have already stated that the first judgement will be clear not before August when we will be able to see what his squad is starting to look like.     Who leaves,  he is able to keep and recruit will be critical.

To get promoted we will need resilience and ability - from board, manager, to player to fans/supporters.   Do we have the mental strength to get the job done with the natural ability we have?  

Sorry if someone has made this point before (I''m sure they probably have) but what if Adams had never played for Norwich...

What if he had been a decent player and last year he won the Youth Cup at a different club...

Would he have been in contention? No. He''d be absolutely nowhere near it.

That''s not to say he''s not the man for the job just makes me wonder what the process and thinking behind it was.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Hes a radio presenter who played about with the youths , may as well appoint any local schoolteacher whos side has won something this season . Chances of Adams taking us up ? below zero , in fact i aill stick my neck out and say Ipswich are nailed on to finish above us next season .[/quote]

What a ridiculous comment. He won the FA Youth Cup from Chelsea scoring many goals over the 2 legs. It was revealed the other day on Talksport that some of the Chelsea youth are already earning 1 million ponds a year. So he has a record of achieving within a budget!

Comparing him to a school teacher managing his team is showing a lack of respect and is far off the mark. Grow up and give him a chance, he may just surprise us.

"wants the job"

Is that a pro? A lot of people would have wanted the job, intact the majority of proper managers out there would have wanted the job

Because were are Norwich City a great club who should never have been relegated in the first place!!! Let alone be appointing an inexperienced manager who thinks he knows the business coz he took charge for a few odd games!

[quote user="Long drives home"]What a ridiculous comment. He won the FA Youth Cup from Chelsea scoring many goals over the 2 legs. It was revealed the other day on Talksport that some of the Chelsea youth are already earning 1 million ponds a year. So he has a record of achieving within a budget! [/quote]You''re missing the point here LDH.Lets say that we''d not won the FA youth cup, if we''d been nowhere near winning it, and in fact it was Chelsea that won - would you have been happy with the suggestion that we hire Adi Viveash to replace Hughton purely based on that???Most clubs of a decent size and stature don''t go looking for their next manager by hiring another teams youth coach...

I have been a fan of Adams as manager from the start of his "impossible miracle" five games.

I''m not just comparing him with his predecessor, who had serious limitations in many aspects of management.

He is committed to the club and fiercely ambitious for it.He is clearly a thinking manager and a good judge of football. He is brave in selection - dropping the non-striking strikers and the non-performing Fer and Bassong.

He seems to be highly respected by the players. Tettey this morning, from his tweet, described him as a top manager, and the player intends to stop.

According to the Press Conference, the Board decided on the qualities needed in the new manager, and Adams beat all the short-list in each separate quality. To the disappointed number, who seem to think that other candidates turned us down, McN asserted that no other candidate was offered the job!

In the last four games, accepted by most of us all season as very difficult, he had a demoralised squad with several players very low in confidence, ineffective strikers and error-prone defenders,and top four clubs most definitely not on the beach. Despite this we could have saved our status, if the passing, shooting and tackling were not so bad, and a certain referee had been to Specsavers. We ended Chelsea''s hopes of winning the Premiership, and for large parts of the games acquitted ourselves well. I agree with McNally and the Board, that Adams did very well with poor resources and with a little bit of luck could have worked a miracle.

Agree with everything you say about Adams Salopian. I just don''t think he''s the right appointment right now under these particular circumstances.

As for what was said at the press conference, I just don''t believe anything the Board has to say now. It''s clear to me now that they were talking complete garbage last Monday when they talked about not being able to find the right candidate in January, given they''ve now appointed someone who already worked for them.

Just making excuses to cover up their blunders IMO/ Hughton should have gone in October after the embarrassment at Man City and, if Adams is the right man, they should have appointed him then.

I think McNally should keep a dignified silence for a while now. He keeps putting his foot in it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Well, Nutty, Barry might support this appointment. He can repeat his question of , "What''s going on in training Neil?....although I don''t think he expressed it quite that way.

[/quote]

Ha! When Neil Adams came to our PUPs presentation a few years ago I played that recording and Neil reckoned Barry was one of us!

Getting back to why not Adams lack of experience seems to be the main reason. But the board would have been fully aware of that fact. And in fact we know they were because on the wireless a couple of days ago McNally was really championing Adams'' case. Saying how they''d been impressed by what he''d achieved both on and off the pitch. It was Delia who reminded him Neyul didn''t have experience. But later she did say the most important person at the club was David McNally. Make of it all what you will....

Now what if another great friend of the PUPs Ricky Martin gets the tech direcors job. Posession is nine tenths of the law or so they say. So it''s not impossible. Interesting times...