Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

So why NOT Neil Adams?

Sooo many threads attacking the board and "cheap option" accusations. But not much about Neil''s qualities or lack of qualities. If so many of you are against his appointment what''s wrong with him?

He had a great playing career. He''s got his badges and is a well respected coach both at our club and elsewhere. He''s obviously impressed the board in his interviews. At least he hasn''t been sacked so he''s not someone elses failed option! He''s not Bryan Gunn. A more realistic comparison would be Dave Stringer and that didn''t work out too shabbily.

Hes a radio presenter who played about with the youths , may as well appoint any local schoolteacher whos side has won something this season . Chances of Adams taking us up ? below zero , in fact i aill stick my neck out and say Ipswich are nailed on to finish above us next season .

I think there''s been a lot of reasons said for why he shouldn''t be manager (there''s countless threads, almost as many as the ''who should be manager'' before that). I would of thought the real question is: ''Why should he be manager?''

-knows the players

-won youth cup

any other

Malky Mackay - Championship winning manager.

Neil Lennon - Champions league manager.

Chris Hughton - Championship winning manager

Neil Adams - FA Youth Cup winning manager. 1 point, 2 goals, 10 conceded in 5 games as manager. Settling for 0-0 in a must win game.

It''s not anti Adams, but there were clearly better alternatives out there - I would be more confident with Hughton still in charge.

What reasons has their been? What qualities do other available candidates have that he doesn''t have?

Knows the players ? er most of the senior ones will want out , yes won the youth cup which helps us gaining promotion from the Champs how ? play the kids and we will be in a relegation dogfight .

As Hughton fits your criteria so well you must be gutted they got rid of him...

Do you not think Adams had any qualities to make him suitable? If that''s the case I wish I''d put in for it...

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 22/05/2014 11:12 PM:

What reasons has their been? What qualities do other available candidates have that he doesn''t have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-Never been a manager

-Not won a game for us when in charge

-1 point out of 15

-Can''t motivate players for big games like Fulham, Man U and Arsenal

-Tactically Inept

-Unattractive football (but effective for the youth team)

-No real contacts within the game - scouting/deals for players

-Players saying things against him (some for him as well though e.g tettey)

-No personality, he''s just a cheap ''yes'' man with no inspirational words to say.

Good Luck Neil. I''ll be right behind the team come the start of the season, but just don''t take the job.

As I said, I would be more confident with Hughton in charge than Adams.

I think we will see a player exodus and struggle to get in quality replacements. I just cannot see Adams leading a promotion challenge. I would love to be pproved wrong, but if the 5 games are anything to go by, I''m not very confident

My concerns centre around a lack of experience in managing senior professionals (which is a big step up from coaching a youth team), whether or not he was the boards first choice (my fear is their hand was forced as their preferred option(s) declined and the clock ticked on) and whether the current players will see this as a good appointment. Will be at CR in August supporting the team I love but eqaully feel I have every right to have concerns about this appointment (and as ever hope my concerns are unfounded)........

I''m a fan of Adams, I''m backing him fully and there are definite positives in him being appointed. However it does seem to be an unneccessary risk when you look at the other managers currently out of work. Imo Lennon, Malky, Sherwood, and even Zola would have been safer bets to get us out of this division first time of asking, and they can''t all get the West Brom job. Its fairly likely that at least 2 of them will be managing our rivals next season, and I really would not want to be our board if Adams is a bust and they succeed elsewhere.All this hysteria isn''t really about Adams, its about a decision being made which harks back to past mistakes that we all hoped the board had got over in the McNally era.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]I''m a fan of Adams, I''m backing him fully and there are definite positives in him being appointed. However it does seem to be an unneccessary risk when you look at the other managers currently out of work. Imo Lennon, Malky, Sherwood, and even Zola would have been safer bets to get us out of this division first time of asking, and they can''t all get the West Brom job. Its fairly likely that at least 2 of them will be managing our rivals next season, and I really would not want to be our board if Adams is a bust and they succeed elsewhere.All this hysteria isn''t really about Adams, its about a decision being made which harks back to past mistakes that we all hoped the board had got over in the McNally era.[/quote]great post. It''s nothing against Adams. It''s the board for putting Adams I''m this situation.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Hes a radio presenter who played about with the youths , may as well appoint any local schoolteacher whos side has won something this season . Chances of Adams taking us up ? below zero , in fact i aill stick my neck out and say Ipswich are nailed on to finish above us next season .[/quote]

Mourinho started out as an interpreter. He''s ended up winning just about everything you can win. Just because Adams is a former radio presenter shouldn''t be used as a stick to beat him with. Give him a chance.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]

My concerns centre around a lack of experience in managing senior professionals (which is a big step up from coaching a youth team), whether or not he was the boards first choice (my fear is their hand was forced as their preferred option(s) declined and the clock ticked on) and whether the current players will see this as a good appointment. Will be at CR in August supporting the team I love but eqaully feel I have every right to have concerns about this appointment (and as ever hope my concerns are unfounded)........

[/quote]

It would seem he wasn''t first choice. It would seem the first choice turned us down. He may not even have been second choice. But we have known all along that he was in a shortlist of three. So anyone outside that shortlist would have been further down the pecking order than Adams.

As for the experience that''s a good call and one that can''t be argued with. But the board must have believed he had other qualities. Delia mentioned his lack of experience when McNally put him forward as a credible candidate. It''s a funny old game...

Oh and with just five letters to contend with he should be the choice of the spelling police...

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Sooo many threads attacking the board and "cheap option" accusations. But not much about Neil''s qualities or lack of qualities. If so many of you are against his appointment what''s wrong with him?

He had a great playing career. He''s got his badges and is a well respected coach both at our club and elsewhere. He''s obviously impressed the board in his interviews. At least he hasn''t been sacked so he''s not someone elses failed option! He''s not Bryan Gunn. A more realistic comparison would be Dave Stringer and that didn''t work out too shabbily.

[/quote]

First of all it is clear he is NOT the first choice maybe even not second as we would have not been waiting this long to keep him as manager and he knows that.

Respected by whom yes some young inexperienced youth players and maybe some of our players , coaches etc. Not got ANY real recognition outside of LITTLE Norwich City and will not attract real talent who will see us as likely to go down as up , effectively just another Championship team.

Great playing career does not equate to great manager at all indeed most great players fail totally at management eg Chris Sutton.

Stringer from another era Gunn much closer to now to the ruthless competition that has developed in Championship

We will see all the top players leave now knowing little ambition in club and young unproven talent in. They will start well but in the end be ripped to shreds due to lack of experience in team and management!

Come on Nutty the last 5 games tell their own story. I like Neil Adams and you and I both know he''s a really nice guy who given time will make a good first team manager but he should be serving an apprenticeship under a decent manager first. Malky and Adams would have been my preferred choice.

Sadly he didn''t prove himself in those 5 games and in fact completely bottled the Arsenal game. I believe had we stuck with Hughton we''d still be up and able to secure a half decent manager (not Lennon).

because hes the budget rose tinted glasses option, because he wasnt really that good a player, because hes not really got that much experience, because hes never signed a quality player or been involved in purchasing/negotiation of any sort of player, because the club has just been relegated and in the most important season since the mid 90s we are back in one of the most competitive divisions in europe, because not very long ago he was simply a radio commentator on a back water bbc station (we might as well give it to motty on that basis), because the board seem to think its a good idea, because NO ONE WILL WANT TO JOIN A CLUB RUN BY A YOUTH TEAM MANAGER WITH ANY EXPERIENCE OR REAL MANAGERIAL ACHIEVEMENT, and mostly because Neil Lennon, Malky Mackay, Steve Clarke and Gianfranco Zola are out of work and considerable more experienced better options than someone who scraped a youth cup win

if i was a player looking to join a club on the rise in the championship id pick 7 or 8 teams above Norwich at this minute in time mainly on the basis that the board have shown such a severe lack of ambition by employing adams

His lack of credibility will make both retaining and acquiring quality players more difficult; his closeness to the board will make it more difficult to get rid of the non-performing ''star'' players at the club; his lack of first-team experience will hamper the management of the senior players; he will overplay the youngsters who will run out of steam; it''s an appointment which demonstrates no ambition to return to the PL. It''s 2009 again. Year zero of the seven year plan.

I would guess that Malky was first choice Inchy. And probably your dream team with Adams. But we knew all along that Adams was in the top three. That can''t be a surprise to anyone. So at worst he was third choice.

On Monday it did seem as though McNally was championing Adams with how well he''d done both on and off the pitch. The only cold water came from Delia who mentioned his lack of experience. But whatever way you look at it Adams had qualities that impressed the board enough to put him in the frame.

The obvious downside is that he has no real experience of management at a senior level. He only has five more games experience than me! And he has won exactly the same number as me! That makes it a big risk. This could be a pivotal season for the club, that could easily go both ways (no matter who was managing) - bouncing straight back up to try again at establishing ourselves as a premiership club or struggling and as a result losing momentum as a club and you are left with your best players jumping ship and a major rebuilding job to try and re-group. The question is, do you want to put such a pivotal season in the hands of such an inexperienced manager? I guess that really depends on who the manager is and how much potential they have, but usually you would say no. It is certainly not a place to be making too many mistakes - as any manager learning the ropes most likely will. But it depends on how good Adams really is, he obviously has potential, but how good is he?are these the exceptional circumstances where this risk is worth taking. But this is a huge gamble of an appointment at this moment in time for this one reason alone.

The other thing that slightly concerns me is that in terms of the transfer business of this summer, I think that this appointment might not fill the players with an awful lot of confidence about our ability to bounce back, and so one or two more might be more open to a move away than before. I have always thought that this squad we have is actually not that far from being half decent - and the more we can keep a hold of at this point, the better. Some of the best business we could do this window would be to keep hold of the right ones. If he is good enough he should convince those we need to stay.

Personally I wish adams well and really hope it works out - but whether it will not is anyones guess. Hindsight will judge it one way or the other. But it certainly makes it interesting!

Because he is a complete punt. Surely we are in a situation where we can choose a manager with at least some decent credentials. Rather than a man who''s only experience is senior management is a rather dismal 5 game run where he not only made some extremely bizarre selections, but also showed his tactical naivety.

Lets hope he is more Stringer than our most recent 4 managers to join with no experience... Deehan, Megson, Grant and Gunn.

Well I would say he was more like Stringer because he''d impressed at the club by winning the FA Youth Cup. Not sure what the other four had done...

I''m just trying to work out what it is that makes him unsuitable. Is it just that he hasn''t been first team manager elsewhere. Is someone like Zola, who''s been sacked by two clubs a better option because he''s been sacked?

Adams must have qualities that impressed. McNally knows about his inexperience. If he hadn''t worked it out for himself Delia reminded him last Monday...

He wasnt first choice ? he should not even have been on a long list let alone a short list , we are well and truly stuffed now .

--- nutty nigel: Adams must have qualities that impressed. McNally knows about his inexperience. If he hadn''t worked it out for himself Delia reminded him last Monday...

Well, the more Delia gets involved the worse we seem to do. After the disaster of relegation to league one, it seems the club turned around and shaken off this prudence little club attitude.

This appointment rings of Delia''s "Morston Hall" dinners with Worthy and Doncaster.

Adams showed his inexperience in the last five games of the season. Playing for a draw with no strikers in the last 10 minutes of a must win. A dismal performance against a poor man united side. An tactical blunder against Liverpool. Worse than that, his lineups looked distinctly championship. We have two right backs neither who are good enough, lets pick both.

I hope Neil Adams proves me wrong, but I can no longer see a Top 6 finish this season. Which would be a disaster for the club.

Zola was a better option because he took a team to third and the playoff final in the league we are in. Saying Adams must have qualities that impressed the board is meaningless, it would apply to anyone they gave the job to, and in the past has applied to Hamilton, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, and Hughton.I think at present the jigsaw is incomplete, all the noises were that we are trying to build something, a Norwich way, like Swansea did. We''ll have to see who the director of football is before we see the full picture.

This message board just proves the studies that those with the least knowledge and awareness are the most critical. Its a football message board for punters with absolutely no professional experience, training and qualifications. Those who have actually have some experience and awareness realise they are absolutely in no position to criticise those that have far more capability. Unfortunately the majority have neither the knowledge or awareness to realise their lack of ability to assess the situation. Knowledge and awareness teaches you humility. Sadly there is very little on here as this message board tonight demonstrates. No doubt I will get more abuse from some but I live in hope that there are some who will reflect that they don''t have sufficient skills and success in their life to ever run a football club and therefore are not in a position to criticise those that do. This message board has a culture of unconscious incompetence.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well I would say he was more like Stringer because he''d impressed at the club by winning the FA Youth Cup. Not sure what the other four had done...

I''m just trying to work out what it is that makes him unsuitable. Is it just that he hasn''t been first team manager elsewhere. Is someone like Zola, who''s been sacked by two clubs a better option because he''s been sacked?

Adams must have qualities that impressed. McNally knows about his inexperience. If he hadn''t worked it out for himself Delia reminded him last Monday...

[/quote]

I don''t think Zola would have been many peoples first choice would he? The thing is we have no way of knowing if Adams isn''t going to be in similar position down the line.

Also If Adams was is such a promising manager and obvious candidate then why say there was no option available to replace Hughton in January? Surely the answer was staring them in the face? If he wasn''t the answer then, why is he the answer now? If they wanted experience Mackay has a promotion under his belt and Lennon has experience of setting up teams against the best in europe. If they wanted more experience it was there.

Having said that personally I was never that fussed about Mackay (unless maybe if it was with Adams), didn''t quite trust Zola, worried about volatile Sherwood, might gone for Lennon. I''m not distraught like some seem to be, but goodness me it''s a gamble.

I don''t think anyone who is saying adams is not the right person for the job are suggesting they can do better than him, only he doesn''t appear to have any real experience in management....and thats a bit scary