Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Who believes Adams was first choice?

The "we''ll have a manager in a week", the silence, the extra week taken, the "impromptu" radio show on Monday morning...and then McNally comes out with the spin about Adams being the "outstanding candidate"...If he was the outstanding candidate, you really didn''t need the extra week now did you, old son?  Would have more respect for the man if he was honest and admitted we couldn''t attract our first choices and have settled for a man who could well turn out to be an excellent manager - I wish him well and hope he will do great things for our club and to further his own career - but was clearly not the first choice of the board.Would also like to know who turned us down and why, so we can boo them next season.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"] McNally comes out with the spin about Adams being the "outstanding candidate"...If he was the outstanding candidate, you really didn''t need the extra week now did you, old son?  [/quote]

In most job interview situations - the outstanding candidate can only be decided once the other candidates have been seen.  

How else would McNally know he was the outstanding candidate????

Negotiations with Malky broke down on Wednesday because he wasn''t prepaired to work with a technical director apparaintly. His loss more than ours.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"] McNally comes out with the spin about Adams being the "outstanding candidate"...If he was the outstanding candidate, you really didn''t need the extra week now did you, old son?  [/quote]

In most job interview situations - the outstanding candidate can only be decided once the other candidates have been seen.  

How else would McNally know he was the outstanding candidate????

[/quote]bloody hell i agree with LDC [:$]

McNally must have had a short list to announce that "within a week" we would have a new gaffer.

But then he needed almost another week.

Very suspicious.

I think that Lennon was first choice but maybe if he demanded a 5 year contract that would rule him out.

We will never know and must move on, simple really....get behind the new manager and team and look forward to the new season...

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]We will never know and must move on, simple really....get behind the new manager and team and look forward to the new season...[/quote]That view would be OK if the start of the season was next week, Mark. But it isn''t. It''s not for two and a half months. There was always going to be a hell of a lot of water to flow under the bridge for fans to discuss in the  period between relegation and the second week in August . And an opportunity in it for the board to get the fans back on side.  It was a test of their credentials. A test that in my opinion they have already failed spectacularly.Of course, in essence, you are right. We , as fans have little or no option than to just get on with it and move on and unite. But, with Adams''s appointment the club have made that already hard task even more difficult.

Given that they were impressed by Adams handling the impossible games, with a real improvement despite relegating leading players to the bench, and McN hinted at this more than once over the last three weeks or so, it may not be surprising that they chose him.

I was myself pleased with the breath of fresh air he introduced, when if our players had not shown their continuing inability to pass or tackle or convert chances to goals, we might even have saved our status, even if it would have been undeserved.I liked the evident thoughtful preparation, which could have led to more than it did. I hope that Adams will be able to maintain this, and also the willingness to change.

There are various theories as to why the process took longer than expected, and we do not know who the other candidates were although each was interviewed twice, (or do you doubt this statement as well?)

I highly doubt he was first choice, but alas, he''s got it now. Time to unite again and look forward to August.

I would imagine he was probably the "preferred" choice from the start.

Leaving aside the ability of the man appointed, contentious as it is, the rest of it was already in place.

He lives in the area, likes the area, no doubt his family are happy where they are. And a settled home life must be a big help

He has won a trophy for the club and coached many of the younger players who must be on the verge of first team squad places.

And he has the personality that I believe the club and the majority of supporters want, rather than a bullish loud mouth approach which doesn''t really fit in with the club''s commitment to an image of community based.

Those issues confirmed, the ability of any new manager would I believe be based on previous records with a different club. That is not a given and is hoping rather than definite.

So I believe he had to be the "preferred" choice but the door was left open just in case somebody impossible to turn down applied.

The apparent applicants all had reasons not to hire them.