Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Chris Hughton Wants Greater Opportunities For Blacks

While I understand the viewpoint, I personally think this is poor timing for Chris to weigh in on this subject. He had a good opportunity at Norwich and his failure had nothing to do with the color of his skin. Of course, he''s entitled to his opinion on the subject in general but probably should have waited until the smoke clears on his Norwich departure before weighing in on this one.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1829324/former-norwich-city-boss-chris-hughton-calls-more-chances-black-managers-england

He was asked his thoughts as part of the 20th anniversary of the ''Kick it Out'' campaign. I don''t see why he should have to stay quiet just because his former employer is looking to fill a vacancy. He was asked a question, so he answered it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

While I understand the viewpoint, I personally think this is poor timing for Chris to weigh in on this subject. He had a good opportunity at Norwich and his failure had nothing to do with the color of his skin. Of course, he''s entitled to his opinion on the subject in general but probably should have waited until the smoke clears on his Norwich departure before weighing in on this one.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1829324/former-norwich-city-boss-chris-hughton-calls-more-chances-black-managers-england[/quote]

Poor timing?  Smoke cleared?   He left six weeks ago.............. 

I suspect he has moved on - so should we.

I think part of it is generational catch up. There are now more black guys than white in the premiership, but there won''t have been when Hughton was playing. Give it a decade or two and there will be plenty of black guys in charge.

"blacks"?

Where are you writing from? South Africa in the apartheid era?

And before you start, I''m not questioning your integrity, just your use of language

[quote user="plan b"]"blacks"?

And before you start, I''m not questioning your integrity, just your use of language[/quote]

What word do you want him to use - "coloured"??    "Black" is what is acceptable.  Most other descriptive words are not pc anymore.

[quote user="lake district canary"] [quote user="YankeeCanary"]

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1829324/former-norwich-city-boss-chris-hughton-calls-more-chances-black-managers-england[/quote]

Poor timing?  Smoke cleared?   He left six weeks ago.............. 

I suspect he has moved on - so should we.

[/quote]

[:D] Almost correct Lakey. YOU should move on instead of raising his name in almost every thread. The rest of us can discuss the views of Mr. Hughton in a more intelligent manner, if we wish to.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"] [quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Poor timing?  Smoke cleared?   He left six weeks ago..............  I suspect he has moved on - so should we.[/quote]

[:D] Almost correct Lakey. YOU should move on instead of raising his name in almost every thread. The rest of us can discuss the views of Mr. Hughton in a more intelligent manner, if we wish to.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong in intelligent conversation - about anyone - but you are the one who raise the points about him - not me.   And yes, we all should move on.   You included.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="plan b"]"blacks"?

And before you start, I''m not questioning your integrity, just your use of language[/quote]

What word do you want him to use - "coloured"??    "Black" is what is acceptable.  Most other descriptive words are not pc anymore.

[/quote]

Black players perhaps?

Describing them as just ''blacks'' is a bit objectifying isn''t it?

The difficulty with trying to debate and eradicate racism is during the debate process the racists/ignorant destroy any chance or reasoned discussion.

I''m a little disappointed that this continues to be raised. Is CH suggesting that more Black managers be given the opportunity to manage REGARDLESS of ability? as far as I''m and any sound person is concerned if someone is good enough then that it, gender, colour, creed etc isn''t up for debate. We are lucky to live in a country which everybody has opportunities and never has social mobility been so strong. The likes of CH and Soul Campbell are not helpful or needed. Move on gents, any form of acceptable racism disappeared from the streets of the Uk decades ago and rightly so. These chaps should try plying their trade in Italy or Turkey where there is absolute need for action and this type of rhetoric.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination! No place for this in 2014, get there on your own merits not as part of a quota!

OTBC

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

He was asked his thoughts as part of the 20th anniversary of the ''Kick it Out'' campaign. I don''t see why he should have to stay quiet just because his former employer is looking to fill a vacancy. He was asked a question, so he answered it.

[/quote]

Bethnal, it was a little more than being asked a question. Obviously, he was asked if he would do an interview on the subject. Of course he''s entitled to if he wishes. However, given that he had recently lost his job, followed by an interview where he said he believes he would have kept Norwich in the Premiership, it comes across to me as poor timing on his part. His choice, my view.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Bethnal, it was a little more than being asked a question. Obviously, he was asked if he would do an interview on the subject. Of course he''s entitled to if he wishes. However, given that he had recently lost his job, followed by an interview where he said he believes he would have kept Norwich in the Premiership, it comes across to me as poor timing on his part. His choice, my view.

[/quote]

It wasn''t an interview - he was making a speech at a event promoting anti-rascism in football (which would have been orgainsed long before he lost his job at Norwich). Should he turn down all engagements for a mourning period of 3 months after losing his job?

And as others have noted the use of ''blacks'' in your title is pretty offensive, and I wonder if this gives a clue to the angle you are trying to force here.

For obvious reasons, there have always been plenty of opportunities for whites but as the demographics have changed and enlightenment has set in so these opportunities have become available and accessible to all, including female people.

I would be annoyed if he was trying to claim he was fired due to his skin colour (as John Barnes seems to do quite a bit) but he isn''t. He is perfectly entitled to talk about a cause he obviously is passionate about and more power to him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It wasn''t an interview - he was making a speech at a event promoting anti-rascism in football (which would have been orgainsed long before he lost his job at Norwich). Should he turn down all engagements for a mourning period of 3 months after losing his job?

And as others have noted the use of ''blacks'' in your title is pretty offensive, and I wonder if this gives a clue to the angle you are trying to force here.

[/quote]

Don''t be childish Bethnal....I thought you were older than what your behavior suggests. There is nothing offensive about using the word "black" any more than the word "white." Also, your suggestion that there is an angle that I am trying to force is what is really offensive.

Mr Yankee, I think you''ll find that Bethnal has politely pointed out where you''ve gone wrong, you need to do some research before posting.

Did people fail to notice that the England under seventeens squad that beat Holland last night are black in the majority?

How many more ''greater'' opportunities do they need?

I guess Hughton is also arguing the lack of black managers in the game.

Shouldn''t people in all walks of life get to where they want to be via merit and not skin colour?

I''m sorry if any of the moral majority consider this racist but the truth of the matter is that black managers to date have been singularly unsuccesful maybe this is why they don''t get the opportunities to manage.

Hughton, Gullit, Powell, Terry ? at Wolves, Rosenior and Kamara have all failed. Cannot remember any others I am sure you will advise the other failures.

Not just England even African countries tend to appoint European coaches.

Black players are of course are another matter in terms of success.

"I''ll write you a longer list of white managers that have failed... "

Obviously, given the percentages.

Tool.

Regardless of what inputs this thread has attracted allow me just to reiterate what the intent of the thread was.

It was ( is ) about the poor timing of Chris Hughton''s communication, and why.

I like Chris Hughton. I think he gives every impression of being a gentleman. Regardless, he was not a successful manager for Norwich City. I like a lot of black people and I don''t like others. For example, I like Dr. Ben Carson very much. I absolutely have the highest regard for Thomas Sowell. I do not like Barack Obama. There are a lot of white people I like and others that I don''t care for. Intelligent people don''t make such judgments based upon the color of a person''s skin but, rather, what they see demonstrated in a persons principles.

I support anything that is counter to racism in society. However, if I were Chris Hughton, and interested in continuing my career at the highest level possible, I believe I would have made different choices. Bethnal said the event Hughton spoke at would have been organized long before the job loss. It may, or it may not have been but, regardless, Chris at least knew the job threat was looming when he made the commitment. After he lost his job he then did an interview to say that he believed he would have kept Norwich in the Premiership. Then he makes a presentation at this event. Going for upcoming interviews regarding other management opportunities I would not want even the slightest appearance to be taken by anyone that , given very recent events, my application for new employment or explanation of my recent employment has a relationship to more opportunities for black managers and coaches. That''s just me. Chris presumably feels differently.    

[quote user="YankeeCanary"] 

Regardless of what inputs this thread has attracted allow me just to reiterate what the intent of the thread was.

[/quote]

Just admit it.  It''s a poor op. I should know. I''ve written enough of them.....

Hughton has left - let him get on with his life however he wants to - he has every right to speak to whoever, whenever and wherever he likes.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"] 

[/quote]

Just admit it.  It''s a poor op. I should know. I''ve written enough of them.....

Hughton has left - let him get on with his life however he wants to - he has every right to speak to whoever, whenever and wherever he likes.

[/quote]

Your presence is not required on the thread Lakey, unless there is something you''d like to discuss relative to the point being made. In the last couple of weeks you continue to raise Hughtons'' name more than any other poster on the forum but then have the audacity to tell others what to do on a newsworthy front. You''re a joke. A dishonest one at that.

[quote user="Shyster"]Did people fail to notice that the England under seventeens squad that beat Holland last night are black in the majority?

How many more ''greater'' opportunities do they need?

I guess Hughton is also arguing the lack of black managers in the game.

Shouldn''t people in all walks of life get to where they want to be via merit and not skin colour?[/quote]FACE. PALM.