Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Lets calm down a bit. Being a football manager is not rocket science

The only reason some people appear to make such a hash of it is because so many managers are ex players who are not the brightest sparks. In convinced that one of the reasons Hughton was so limited was that he simply could not read the game and react to things happening in front of him. He may have read a few coaching manuals and could stick to pre conceived plans but he lacked "game intelligence."

Adams is of course an ex player but we know from his media career that he is intelligent and his 5 games in charge already showed more ability to make changes during games than Hughton had. He is inexperienced but he will learn. I think I''m right in saying Lennon had no other experience before Celtic. I could win the league managing Celtic and yet we would all have been delighted with him. Yes Adams is inexperienced but I do think he has shown he has some nous, will learn on the job and I think if we can retain a decent squad we will do ok. None of the alternatives such as Malky really appealed to me anyway.

Nice to read a decent and reasoned response to the situation .

I am personally bitterly disappointed in the fact that the Club " seem" to have taken the cheap/easy option ,, together with some information I was given ( rightly or wrongly ) seeming that this was a decision not made by consensus.

However ,, my biggest fear is not that NA lacks capability ,,, but credibility ,,, leading to the possible defection of valued players , who are at present on the books ,, to the necessary additions to the squad not having the confidence to come here due to the management .

Now with the stories about , NA wanting an assistant who the board rejected ..and no news on a confidence inspiring DOF or whatever title it may be ... I feel deflated ...as often before being a supporter of NCFC for well over 40 years now !

That is my big fear Barclay. For all the hard work, effort and heart in the world, Adams does not have that pre-existing reputation as a manager like Malky or Zola for players to really know what he''s about. Moreover the fact he''s been with Norwich for so long has probably served to diminish his contacts within the game, making it difficult for him to attract a top drawer backroom team with experience to mitigate his own inexperience.

Thinking particularly in terms of current players, some potentially key men were frozen out under Adams (Bassong, Pilks, Wessi and to a lesser extent RvW). If they want to leave then let them, if we get the right price, but players like that when on form and properly motivated can be more than the difference in the Championship.

I agree, credibility and player retention are my biggest concerns too. Just saying that I see no reason to completely panic because the bloke does appear to have the attributes to be a capable manager. I''m underwhelmed as well but trying to look on the bright side.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree, credibility and player retention are my biggest concerns too. Just saying that I see no reason to completely panic because the bloke does appear to have the attributes to be a capable manager. I''m underwhelmed as well but trying to look on the bright side.[/quote]

We three obviously share the same sentiment ,, love the club ,,, want to feel the pride of achievement ,, but this same affinity also fuels the fears , I actually believe that if we manage to retain the nucleus of the squad ,,, and Mc Nally ,,,, we will do well next year ,, and it could be the most exciting since league one year :)

Good post OP.I think we all feel a bit underwhelmed but if looking back on previous internal appointments of Messrs Stringer, Brown, Walker and Worthington is anything to go by it may well work out in the end.Regarding managing Celtic to a Championship I reckon the Carrow Road tea lady would have made a decent fist of it the last two seasons and probably next but it''ll be a different story when the '' Old Firm '' games return......[:D]

Well let''s get Neil Armstrong as manager, at least his names got a Neil in it!

Well all the fuss about the rights and wrongs of Adams'' appointment has certainly taken the heat off the players.

For all Hughton''s ineptness, none of the players covered themselves in glory last season, and no matter who was eventually chosen as manager, the players have a lot to do to prove they are deserving of Premiership football.

At least Adams is giving the impression that the players will have a better opportunity to play to their full potential.....and that''s a promising starting point.