Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Chris Martin

Don''t post all that often as normally others are basically saying what I am thinking, but really suprised after Derbys defeat today there are not more people advocating Chris Martin as our Number 1 transfer target - we need somebody who will score us 20+ goals next season and who better?

We need one if not two target men in our squad assuming we keep Hooper.

Offload Becchio.

BTW., what on earth would make you think Chris Martin would want to return to us having let his contract (with us) run out?

I think people are forgetting it''s ok saying lets bring in this striker or that striker, but it goes to show Derby''s midfield created great chances for Martin hence him scoring many, if norwich don''t bring in any creative midfield players

I''d like to know where our goals will come from.

Would he stay at a settled derby team , where the players all play to each other''s strengths , score a few goals, have a reasonably good manager and great chance of going up next season, or...... Norwich.

Wiz tier OP.Not a chance in hell he''d come back here. Also how much would a 25 goal championship striker with years on his contract cost 4 - 6 mill? on a player we let go of a year ago.

Get Holty back in. then I would be after someone like harry Kane. Admittedly didnt do it for us couple of seasons back but that was under Hughton plus he has had more game time for spurs under Sherwood and was scoring. Still young with something to prove and could do that at championship level

I didnt mind Chris Martin when he was with us, decent enough player,and am pleased how well he has done at Derby. BUT, at a level below the EPL I actually think Hooper will be just as effective in a quality City playing more adventurous attacking football against lesser opposition. 

[quote user="White stuff"]I think people are forgetting it''s ok saying lets bring in this striker or that striker, but it goes to show Derby''s midfield created great chances for Martin hence him scoring many, if norwich don''t bring in any creative midfield players I''d like to know where our goals will come from.[/quote]

Pretty much spot on. No service, no goals as was proved last season.[Y]

So why are we overlooking Becchio here, is it because he didnt feature when Neil took over or has something been said that he''s off.

I think he had scored around 20 goals in the the season before he came to us in the January. He is a past master at scoring championship goals.

two of our strikers are proven 20+ goal scorers at this level already

what we need to do is complement them

[quote user="splutcho"]God you talk b*llocks paul. I certainly haven''t missed your presence here.[/quote]

[Y]

He''s had at least three very good seasons that I can think of, each one in a higher division, so although he will never be a Prem superstar his career is progressing in the right direction. 

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Don''t post all that often as normally others are basically saying what I am thinking, but really suprised after Derbys defeat today there are not more people advocating Chris Martin as our Number 1 transfer target - we need somebody who will score us 20+ goals next season and who better?[/quote]Personally I think it was a very good thing for him to leave Norwich as it forced him to sort his head and attitude out, apply himself and become the player he evidently always had the talent to be. He showed a surprising number of traits of old Holty in the game as well holding the ball up, bringing others into play and making good runs.It is what Norwich are missing but I think for Martin coming back to Norwich where he was unceremoniously dumped would be a risk. He''s had previous disciplinary issues here which I can only assume are tied in with it being the area he grew up in as well so could see his performances and overall maturity regress. Personally I think he would be best to stay at Derby, a similar sized club to Norwich who appreciate him, are on an upward spiral and have an ex-England manager to guide and develop him.

[quote user="paul moy"]No thanks. He''s only had one good season in his whole career.[/quote]

Oh my good God!

I think thats both the most incorrect and funniest thing you have ever said.

Points reduction or prohibition on winning a trophy or promotion IN THE SAME SEASON as the offence was committed is the only way this will have any effect. Other sports manage to take aways medals or championships, so it can be done.... if there is a will.