Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

Is anybody else happy with the idea of Adams as manager?

Or if not excited at least content that he has enough positive attributes to be cautiously optimistic?

I don''t think the board have showered themselves in glory, and it is clear that either they were very divided or Adams wasn''t their first choice.

But is he the wrong choice? or has the way the board has handled his appointment lead to the outcry by a large proportion of fans?

Lennon by accounts was never on the cards.

We know Zola and Mackay were. Are either of them the stand out candidate that would have received universal support from the city faithful?

While we are a fairly attractive proposition to potential managers we are far less so in the championship, I would also argue that an appointment from abroad is a far riskier call in the championship than the PL.

Were we really likely to pinch a manager off our promotion rivals next year? Were any of them outstanding candidates?

Would a manager from the lower leagues have brought an excited response?

Theres so much outcry over Adams, but when you break it down, he may not be the outstanding candidate, but he seems as likely to succeed as anyone we could potentially attract.

Listening to his interview I am relatively happy with his appointment if he can deliver the style of play and bring in the right players. I''m not sure I''d be anymore enthused if it was Malky or anyone else mentioned.

I genuinely feel that the way the board has handled this is the source of anger more than the appointment itself.

They are trying to restructure the clubs hierarchy, to adopt a more modern continental approach, I''m personally pleased by this whoever the TD is (and I suspect it will be Ricky Martin, how many top names out there want all the cr@ppy jobs the manager doesn''t have time for?) but their message has been lost in bad PR.

I really hope fans give this time, as in the long run I think with all the right people in place it could be a real step forward, but I worry if things aren''t immediately successful the board could lose their nerve and we are back to square one again.

Now I might be being a tad picky here Monty, but you may have considered joining any one of the previous 317 threads debating much the same thing? The board is quite difficult to pick around as it is, what with all of the derailing bickering and so on, but just starting thread after thread saying the same thing doesn''t really help? No offence intended.

Fair point Graham and I''d agree to be fair.

Unfortunately they are mainly nashing and wailing, quite a lot of trolling and a lot of derailing.

I was going to post on another, but then thought f*ck it, theres so many and the same people seem to find the need to start 4 or 5 of their own a day, may as well start my own!

I''d just watched the Adams interview and was feeling pretty positive, unlike looking at the front page of this board everyone else...

Well I have to admit that he''s not my choice, but I''m willing to back him for now, see what he''s got, If Malky had been appointed I would be writing this as an EX season ticket holder, because as far as I was concerned we may well as well have kept Hughton same tactics played and boring to watch, N/A had 5 matches and we sore more attacking play than we did all season, So for what it''s worth he has my support For now.

[quote user="Monty13"]Fair point Graham and I''d agree to be fair. Unfortunately they are mainly nashing and wailing, quite a lot of trolling and a lot of derailing. I was going to post on another, but then thought f*ck it, theres so many and the same people seem to find the need to start 4 or 5 of their own a day, may as well start my own! I''d just watched the Adams interview and was feeling pretty positive, unlike looking at the front page of this board everyone else...[/quote]

Point taken Monty and apologies if it appeared a bit heavy handed. Ignore me [:)]

It''s another post about how this could be good in the long run.

Are people losing sight of the short term though? McNally said the club''s turnover has been halved from 100mil to 50mil. This will reduce further if we don''t get promoted.

What''s more important to both this message board (and the actual board)? The long term of playing the supposed Norwich way, or actually getting promotion?

Neil Adams may get us promoted - if the squad stays as it is it would be a failure of we didn''t. However with inevitable departures, I would rather a Malky style manager, somebody who has won this division recently who could probably attract a higher quality manager.

Yes its nice to romantically thing Neil Adams will turn us into this top 10, European place challenging club in the long run, just like Bowkett wants, but we are no where near the top 10 - we aren''t even in the right league. With the Boards recent obsession with the Norwich way over anything else, what are there expectations for this season?

I agree RB, I think in the short term NA is less likely to get us promoted then Mackay, I don''t think Mackay would have been a shoe in to do it either, but there is definitely more risk with Adams.

I don''t think anyone has lost sight of the short term, that''s footballs problem, it''s all about the short term it''s why the average manager stays in a job for so little time.

Personally setting up for success is more important than immediate promotion, and thats not discounting the fact that both may occur.

I worry that people see not getting promoted next year as a failure. I think it''s attainable, but history is not with us and we have a huge upheaval to bed down.

If we were to get promoted with Mackay you can imagine the football would be very similar to what we played the last two seasons with little room to change an ethos because of the risk of failure.

It took Swansea 3 seasons to reach the PL, and three managers, but maintaining a style of play which they have now established successfully in the prem.

I would like us to do it that way not the smash and grab Promotion to then cling on to the pig trough at all (entertainment) costs.

I am happy with Adams as manager. By this I don''t mean that we shall be promoted, immediately - we have far too much deadwood and defeat memory to do this, and there are some good teams we shall meet who would probably beat our present team quite easily.

By it I mean that we shall approach games intelligently and well prepared, managed by someone who is a thinking manager, and we shall play attractive football. I also mean that some or most of our junior players will make the step up to Championship football, and we shall see in a year or two our first team with as many as three "home grown" players.

I shall look forward week by week to see how Adams adopts tactics and chooses teams to neutralise the potential of opponents. I also wonder what the effect will be of the higher tempo training which took place under Adams, and which the squad evidently enjoyed.

As regards the process of his appointment, I may be naive, but I believe the Board when they claim that they looked far and wide for possible candidates and interviewed each short-list member twice, and I believe Mick Dennis when he claimed that the talks with Malky stalled, presumably from unacceptable demands from one side or the other.

I am quietly optimistic that we shall be proud of our team next season, and put behind us the nightmare of the past two years.

I''m happy.But then I don''t try to look at anything in too extreme a way.My take on the press conference (which I could be wrong on) is that they said that Norwich City Football Club is good enough to be in the Premier League and in the top ten challenging for that Europa League spot. They didn''t specifically say that Adams was the man to do this, they said he was the man to get them top flight football again.To be honest, if he does that, who''s to say he isn''t good enough? The thing is to not get carried away with it.My take on it is that all in all the candidates that were mentioned with a degree of certainty were very much of a muchness. In some ways I am happier with Adams than some of the others.Mackay spent in the region of (wiki) £15million to get Cardiff promoted and around £35million to try and keep them there and ultimately failed. When you compare that to how much Norwich spent in three seasons in the premier league and the promotion season, you''d have to reflect that he had a hefty wedge to spend and ultimately failed to keep them there.Zola - Personally, whilst I like the chap, and he was a great footballer - I am not overly convinced he has the overall ability as a manager at this point. Maybe a coach or assistant manager but I sometimes feel his teams have a lot of attacking intent and flair but struggle on the defensive side of things. Also - not all of his Italian players were really up to it.Sherwood - as much of a gamble as Adams in terms of experience. Someone said he''d be good because he would know who to poach from the Spurs youth system. Whilst that is a good point, it is not something I would want to base bringing in a manager on. I''d want them to look at our own youth players first and foremost. Experience wise, much the same, but didn''t motivate, organise and lead a team to the FA Youth Cup victory against all of the odds.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]It''s another post about how this could be good in the long run.

Are people losing sight of the short term though? McNally said the club''s turnover has been halved from 100mil to 50mil. This will reduce further if we don''t get promoted.

What''s more important to both this message board (and the actual board)? The long term of playing the supposed Norwich way, or actually getting promotion?

Neil Adams may get us promoted - if the squad stays as it is it would be a failure of we didn''t. However with inevitable departures, I would rather a Malky style manager, somebody who has won this division recently who could probably attract a higher quality manager.

Yes its nice to romantically thing Neil Adams will turn us into this top 10, European place challenging club in the long run, just like Bowkett wants, but we are no where near the top 10 - we aren''t even in the right league. With the Boards recent obsession with the Norwich way over anything else, what are there expectations for this season?[/quote]Although ''the Norwich way'' does sound like a bit of a soundbite, I''m sure they mean it and it is the most important thing to learn. Swansea''s success has been built on choosing a clearly defined football identity and appointing people that fit that identity rather than choosing someone that doesn''t who then goes on to completely change personnel and methods to fit their model. The board did make a huge mistake with Hughton as he was a decent manager who didn''t fit what had gone before so a lot of players got turned over and we came unstuck as a result. This is all benefit of hindsight stuff though, don''t think I''m joining in in all the board-hating here. Taking that on board is the reason Adams got the job in my opinion. But that''s a secondary to the main objective of actually getting up.

"I genuinely feel that the way the board has handled this is the source of anger more than the appointment itself.

They are trying to restructure the clubs hierarchy, to adopt a more modern continental approach, I''m personally pleased by this whoever the TD is (and I suspect it will be Ricky Martin, how many top names out there want all the cr@ppy jobs the manager doesn''t have time for?) but their message has been lost in bad PR.

I really hope fans give this time, as in the long run I think with all the right people in place it could be a real step forward, but I worry if things aren''t immediately successful the board could lose their nerve and we are back to square one again."

I think these points are the crux of the matter. The boards timing and setting deadlines was a poor thing to do and a PA mess. They should have shut up and just got on with it.

After reading, and understanding, more of the sensible posts on here, I have come to thinking that this restructuring that has been talked about lead to Adams being the logical choice out of the other names bandied about. Malky, Lennon and Zola have their own ways of working and might not have settled for TD approach. Old dogs, new tricks kind of way.

Although Ricky being appointed will go down like a lead zeppelin on here, probably by me as well, it is also a sensible one as was pointed out by Gingerpele. They have both worked well with each other in the past, and Ricky works well with the board, or seems to anyway.

Your last point is also relevant. This restructuring may take time to show some working. Will the fans have patience if we are not promoted or in the play off positions?*

*That is a rhetorical question as I have the feeling I know the answer[:D] 

I am NOT happy with Adams appointment. How on earth can the board say he was the ''ideal'' candidate. What a joke. Mourhino or Alex Ferguson would be the ideal candidate, not a biased radio comentator with no managerial experience what so ever. BIG BIG gamble.

Hope it pays off.

I think that the Adams appointment makes more sense the more you think about it.
If we''re going to adopt a continental style management structure, with a technical director and director of footballing recruitment, then what you really need is a very good coach to lead the team rather than a very good manager (who is not necessarily a particularly talented coach).
When you put the appointment of our manager into that context, it starts to make more and more sense why a highly respected (if inexperienced) coach like Adams was expected.

Thanks for the other comments on here, It''s nice to read some thought out posts. I just came to have a look on the board to see "is Delia a plastic" is the current hot topic of debate....sigh

I''m glad theres other people here who see the logic of what''s happening, even if they aren''t convinced by it.

And Herman It sounds more and more like its Ricky to me, one of Neils comments on the TD he put emphasis on in his interview was that the TD will run the training ground, sounds like Ricky is the guy to me.

I wonder if the talk of experienced help for Neil from the board is in the assistant role, so they are holding back on the TD announcement to soften it with an experienced assistant cherry. I do wonder when they''ve described what the TDs role is why anyone thinks a big name will want that job? prepare to be disappointed if you do.

I''m very much of the opinion having thought about that Neil is the right man for the role they were describing, whether their vision will work depends on whether it will be given the time to imo.

I would be a bit disappointed but not surprised if it was Ricky.

I could understand the logic but for me an individual who has wider experience at other clubs would be my favourite. i know Ricky has done a good job at the academy and will rightly be credited with moving it onwards and upwards, he has a good working relationship with Neil etc.

Its just think that in this role a wider perspective and experience would be of benefit.

Ever since I heard about the TD role I''v thought it would be Ricky. In fact I think he''s been doing it since April. But is there another position left on this football board. Is it recruitment and Ewan Chester or whoever is announced if his days are numbered?

Nutty their seemed to be a fair amount of blame laid by the board on the transfers made last summer, you''d imagine Chester has to take the majority of that blame, I''d personally be surprised after that public shaming if he is then given a resounding endorsement as Director of Recruiting.

I agree Monty. The summer signings have been publically blamed by the board even after Hughton was sacked. I doubt it will be Chester and I would think, along with Adams assistant, it is the most important position to fill. I have absolutely no idea who.

Personally I hope Ricky Martin gets the Tech Director job. He would deserve it after the successful way he helped establish our category one academy. It''s been a real success with the U18s winning the FA Youth Cup and the U21s qualifying to play with the country''s elite. And I''m biased because he''s been a great ally for our PUPs too! [;)]

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 25/05/2014 7:11 PM:

I agree Monty. The summer signings have been publically blamed by the board even after Hughton was sacked. I doubt it will be Chester and I would think, along with Adams assistant, it is the most important position to fill. I have absolutely no idea who.

Personally I hope Ricky Martin gets the Tech Director job. He would deserve it after the successful way he helped establish our category one academy. It''s been a real success with the U18s winning the FA Youth Cup and the U21s qualifying to play with the country''s elite. And I''m biased because he''s been a great ally for our PUPs too! Wink [;)]

Please no more internal appointments - we need people with fresh ideas and experience - no more mates involved in running this club please !

I know everyone wants a name, but it''s just not practical and adds nothing to the role. All the best DoF''s (or Technical Directors, if you want to get... technical) are relative unknowns.

Imagine the situation, we go and put, for arguments sake, Hoddle (it won''t be him) in the role. We lose our first game and straight away the media and fans start speculating that he''s going to be replacing Adams. Totally breaks down the relationship from the off.

You cant knock Ricky''s success in his current position, I suppose my problem is that i dont fully understand the role of the technical director. If it is as the name suggests very much a technical position then Ricky has to be a good choice, but i do want to see someone with wider experience within the game having a key imput into the management group.

[quote user="Jenkins"]You cant knock Ricky''s success in his current position, I suppose my problem is that i dont fully understand the role of the technical director. If it is as the name suggests very much a technical position then Ricky has to be a good choice, but i do want to see someone with wider experience within the game having a key imput into the management group.[/quote]
According to McNally a technical director will be responsible for:
"the technical director will look after those other important areas like conditioning, fitness, medical, physio, sports science, sports analysis, academy, the infrastructure, the training ground, players’ rest, relaxation, wellbeing, nutrition, hydration – the list goes on"
“There are a lot of areas the technical director will be responsible for, which quite frankly we don’t think our manager’s attention should be focused on. Our first-team football manager just needs to worry about the first team and coaching of the first team.”

As I understand it the position is to run the training ground and take these tasks away from the first team manager. I would have thought Ricky would be more qualified than someone from outside. I think people are confusing this with a director of football. A big name to interfere with Neil Adams role. That''s not happening. Neil is first team manager in his own right.

Thanks Phillip, well in that case Ricky fits the bill perfectly, a lot of that work already fits with his current job.

I thought we already had someone who specifically deals with fitness and conditioning, it used to be Dave Carolan of course,he looked after the lads and the first team as i recall.

We have far more now than in those days when Dave Carolan came in. I think there were three guys brought in in the late 90s after Delia brought Watling''s shares. Bruce Rioch was manager and that was the first time sports science really took a hold at Colney. The fact that it was being brought in was one of the nails in Mike Waker MK2''s coffin. He was old school.

My main concern is that existing staff have hardly been successful in there roles over the last 12 mths - it cant be all Hoots fault ?

We need to shake things up

Jenkins wrote the following post at 25/05/2014 6:47 PM:

I would be a bit disappointed but not surprised if it was Ricky.

I could understand the logic but for me an individual who has wider experience at other clubs would be my favourite. i know Ricky has done a good job at the academy and will rightly be credited with moving it onwards and upwards, he has a good working relationship with Neil etc.

Its just think that in this role a wider perspective and experience would be of benefit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

But yet you think Adams is a good appointment as our manager?