Sign in to follow this  
Wizard of Waveney

What does a successful season look like for us

I think Lennon would have helped both to retain and get the best out of Hooper and Snodgrass which would have taken us to automatic promotion; I would have expected Malky to take-us to the playoffs. Now I expect us to finish south of mid-table.

Lennon and we would have kept our top players and mounted a serious attempt to go up .

With Numpty Neil if we finish top half it will be an amazing achievement .

The OP asks a valid question - what is our expectation as to where we will finish and has that expectation increased or decreased since the permanent appointment of NA vis a vis Malky, Lennon or Zola.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I think Lennon would have helped both to retain and get the best out of Hooper and Snodgrass which would have taken us to automatic promotion; I would have expected Malky to take-us to the playoffs. Now I expect us to finish south of mid-table.[/quote]You predict relegation every year so that''s quite an optimistic forecast from you. [Y]

When was the last time a manager without even a win on his cv took a team to promotion from the Championship ? i honestly do not know but would guess it has never happened and it never will . By not appointing a manager we have given up before a ball was kicked .

Said it on another thread yesterday, but i''ll be happy enough with a push at a playoff spot, playoffs the season after, and promotion within 3.

Anything less than the playoffs is unacceptable, really we should be promoted. I know how tough the Champ is as a league, but that is not an excuse for failing to take advantage of our current and potentially fleeting financial superiority. My perspective hasn''t changed since Adams was appointed- success or failure should not be judged differently just because the manager is learning.

My expectations are only slightly less sine NA''s appointment to be honest, as I am convinced the club will put together a very decent coaching and management team. So, as a minimum it would be promotion via the play-off''s....why?......because we have the set-up, an excellent squad eben if a few leave, cash, and the support.....support that will be more positive when we are winning.....  

Anywhere outside the play offs or automatic promotion spots is an abject failure and I would expect consequences.

IMO a successful season would be promotion, an acceptable season would be reaching the playoffs.

Promotion push.

I don''t think that a failure to get promoted is necessary a failure, if the signs are there that the team is playing well and winning games. But we should be at least challenging with our resources.

Given the strength of several teams in the Championship, including the teams relegated with us, I would think that a top 8 finish would be good for us.

We over-exaggerated the qualities of our team, and now we could lose one or two players. Unless Adams can find so very good replacements and additions, I would not expect much better than 8th,

I really couldn''t see any manager doing very much with the present squad, many of whom lack pace, ball skills including passing, and concentration.

I hope that Adams can find one or two very good signings, and then I could perhaps see us creeping into the play-offs

Absolutely no reason to lower expectations or hide away from them. Play off place with youth being given a chance to reach the necessary level, allied with a return to the Norwich way of playing. Defenders comfortable on the ball, retaining possession, pace and fluidity in forward areas.

Many people on here, myself included, when asked the question when relegation was confirmed ''where do you think we will finish next season?'' replied mid table. There was much doom and gloom. Statistics seemed to show that few teams in the last ten years have bounced back. So I guess for many of us the play offs would represent success.

with the big budget and no debts anything less than a play off place is a underperforming irrespective of who the manager is

Anything less than promotion is not a success. We should not have been relegated as decisions should have been made earlier. However they weren''t made and now we''ve got to live with the consequences of those unmade decisions. The Championship is no easy league to win and we have the advantage of parachute payments to build our squad.

What matters is how that money is spent. It needs to be on players who compliment and add to the current players who''ll be staying which RVW didn''t do because despite being a competent goal scorer couldn''t play in our set-up last season and that was over-looked when he was bought.