Sign in to follow this  
Wizard of Waveney

Neil Adams contacts

What worries me the most about this appointment is not just his lack of premier experience but his lack of contacts in the game.

How is he going to find talent? It will take time for him to understand the market access the players and get experience in buying. All leads to a slow start if we are not careful.

That must have been one of the questions asked of him.

The board know he has been developing youth players and must wonder where his senior contacts are and who they are.

But just in the same way as many posters on here seem to know who the best players to buy are, probably without having seen them play in many cases, I''m sure he already has one or two in mind.

And just maybe he has been able to persuade the vast majority of the squad to abandon thoughts of transfers and bring about a promotion push.

A couple of questions to anyone who knows:How do we know what NA''s contacts are in the game?What has he been doing since giving up playing? Hiding in a barn? Surely from his playing days and as part of his coaching education on courses he has gained acquaintances, friendships, professional contacts. Surely he has been watching other games, whether live or via streams / dvds to gain experience on games and tactics. Surely he has been talking to as many people he respects as possible to gain some insights. Isn''t that what everybody does when starting a new job or career move?Don''t we have a scouting set up to find talent?Isn''t it their job to find the talent which the manager asks for ie type of player / position/ age profile / experience etc? This manager will be no different from others at running the rule over those offered to see if he can use them. If the job in the youth set up is anything to go by NA is quite good at that. Of course he could always use this board as there is no end of educated talent spotters on here!Maybe there isn''t universal agreement or happiness at NA''s appointment but there is universal support for the club. In my world if you can control something do so, if you cant, try to influence it. If you can''t influence it then all you can do is accept it. Roll on September let''s get some results under the belt - then we can start a proper debate.

Does he need contacts? Just reading between the lines of what Adams and McNally have said, but won''t the scouting network find the players and McNally will continue to do the negotiating. All he needs is an opinion on the current squad, assess the gaps and let the head of recruitment know what he needs to fill them.

I like what I read about John Park, who is being strongly linked, it seems, to the T.D. role. Has an excellent pedigree and would be ideal to work with Adams.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I like what I read about John Park, who is being strongly linked, it seems, to the T.D. role. Has an excellent pedigree and would be ideal to work with Adams.
[/quote]

His name has been mentioned, and yes, what I have read makes him seem like a very good candidate. Doing a google search his name was linked to some of the bigger teams a few years back, so he may still be sought after and probably expensive. But that expense should be justified.  

What are contacts useful for anyway, finding ''hidden gems'' like RVW? We should be focussing on signing the best players in the Championship which is not something you need contacts for. You need to look at the stats, talk to the scouts, watch some DVDs and then approach the player''s club in the correct manner.

Ron Saunders bought Doug Livermore on the strength of watching him on MOTD. He was part of the midfield that gained our initial promotion to the old 1st Division.

What else do scouts do?

This whole issue is being overplayed, we have or will have a management group, a scouting network, Neil will have an excellent knowledge of the young talent thats out there, far more than any of the so called big names. He has a very good eye for talented players and may well have already identified some prospects.

Give him the chance to prove himself and I think he will.

I don''t know what he knows, but I suspect from the Youth Cup last season, when he had to sort out the strengths and weaknesses of some good youth players, he knows of some very good young players who may be available on loan.

I suspect, and he hinted at it, that he has watched many of the broadcast Premiership matches last season and before. We have formed our opinions about various players and I am sure he has done the same. He will use the chief scout and his team to discuss prospective signings.

In all this he is no different to a foreign manager arriving here, except that he has been watching and writing about English teams for several years.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]What are contacts useful for anyway, finding ''hidden gems'' like RVW? [/quote]Access to YouTube and a large amount of gullibility?

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Apparently Tom Cavendish has been lined up to give Neyul a hand[/quote]

LOL.[:D]