Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

What can we learn from QPR?

Nothing to do with not how to spend your money wisely, I''m talking about their approach to the championship and ultimate promotion after suffering relegation.

Looking at their team yesterday, it struck me how 10 of their starting 11 were still from their Prem season. Clearly they had bailed out the bad eggs and expensive contracted players who didn''t want to be there (Remy, Taarabt and the Brazilian GK whose name I forget) were sent out to other clubs.

The only significant signing and player in that team was Charlie Austin, who they paid around £7m from Burnley.

Personally, I think this is the way we also need to go. Hopefully we can keep the bulk of the squad in tact, with the notable few that we probably need to bail out. But hopefully that will only leave us requiring 2 or 3 significant signings, 2 of which will no doubt be strikers.

BUT, we cannot scrimp and save on cheap signings here. We need to get a significant striker that we KNOW can score goals at this level.

Those 2 strikers? If we could sign Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn) and Matt Smith (Leeds), then added to Hooper and some youngsters, for me that would be very tasty. Whether possible though is a completely different matter I guess.

I don''t think we''ll be pushing the boat out. Hope we do as this season is our best chance, but I''m not filled with confidence.

Very true, but something significant has clearly happened here which is causing a problem. I won''t have the fact that the management simply think there are better options - that doesn''t fit when you''ve only scored 28 goals all season!!

I suspect too much water has flowed under the bridge to see him ''do a Lappin'', though I guess stranger things have happened!

I wish the likes of bassong, rvw were going and we were keeping Hoolahan, Pilkington, Becchio in the champ, cant see it tho.

We need an experienced management team and quality players who are prepared to battle at this level

Do the following fulfill this criteria :-

Adams

Wolf

Bassong

Fer

Pilkington

I think not - we need to replace the above & add quality players at champs level who r prepared to battle

Sorry Adams foes not need to be replaced just support brought in to help him with the right level of experience (not more cheap options)

We could learn that reaching the play offs is a lottery with only a 1 in 4 chance of promotion via them.Do not look at finishing  3rd to 6th as an achievement, its failure, its for nearly but not quite good enough sides.Forget about play offs its one of the top 2 slots we want.

Interesting, I don''t think we will be going for any big signings once we get those out who don''t want to be here.....I don''t think we will have the same pull and expect to hear that we looked across the world for a new signings but none matched what we were looking for so we went with loaning some youngsters from arsenal and Chelsea. Interesting though that the Fulham boss has said he will be mostly fielding the clubs youngsters this coming season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]That all three of the promoted teams have very experienced managers.[/quote]

Dyche''s managerial list before Burnley is not exactly long.

QPR''s owner, and I see him as someone who has to be in the spotlight, was desperate for his club to return. It didn''t appear as if the was anything else on his agenda.

I have no idea on their wages etc, but of course know that they have fallen foul of FFP (in the football league so I don''t know how they will be punished as they are back in the Prem). I must assume they kept the wages high and managed to bring in some players as well.

I do not see the same desperation with our board, or supporters for that matter (we don''t have Chelsea within throw in distance).

Well done to them for bouncing back. They made a cracking start to last season and that stood them in good stead after Leicester and Burnley surged past them. Good luck in the play off final has given their owner the chance to dream of being the centre of attention again.

I''m sure they will be more welcome especially by the media because of their manager than other clubs.

At the end of the day though, the football does the talking. No matter how much you spend or who loves you the most, the best team will make it up.

We as a club know that sometimes it is better to fly in under the radar. That is unlikely to happen next season. We will be under the microscope and continue to be so if we do well,

If we do, many will say it is no more than was expected. Just like QPR.

I think QPR''s promotion is a contender for most undeserved of all time. Stuttered along all season and barely scored any goals after all that money spent to then get outplayed for 90 minutes in the Play Off final. The Play Offs might be great entertainment but they''ve got their negatives.

They''re not complaining of course but if it was us I''d be honest and say we don''t deserve this. But hey that''s sport.

There are important lessons to learn, first and the most unpalatable to many supporters on here is they were very, very lucky. So we will we need to be if we are to get promoted at the first ask.

Overspent their budget, broke FFP rules and only just got promoted. They gambled and won.

They were miles off automatic promotion and as someone already stated the playoffs are a lottery.

But they did get promoted, as already said keeping a really good core PL of players has got to be an important lesson. We need to do our best to retain the likes of Ruddy, Olsson, Turner, Howson, Tettey, Hooper and Snodgrass.

It''s clear some who we would maybe like to keep don''t want to be here for whatever reason so the likes of Hoolahan, Bassong, Pilkington and Becchio will probably be leaving. Replacing them with a handful of quality signings and not cheap journeymen is also a lesson to learn.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]That all three of the promoted teams have very experienced managers.[/quote]

Do you ever say anything positive about the club, you negative tw@t?