Sign in to follow this  
?

Interesting read as far as first time managers are concerned!

www.dbu.dk/~/media/Files/.../Castrol%20Key%20Outcomes%20v7.pdf

Sorry its a download but basically states that 70% of first time managers don''t last longer than 75 games and then never get another managerial position!

So basically only the elite survive! We appoint a bloke (I have no axe to grind re Adams) who is best known for working with U18''s and as a co-commentator on local radio, with 5 games premiership experience with a points total of 1, and expect him to succeed in what is undoubtedly our most important season in the last 4 years!! He''s 49 years old and if he had managerial aspirations why has it taken so long for him to try to fulfill this ambition?

Yea good thinking McNally et al, you have really filled me with confidence. When it all goes Pete Tong, please the board, have a good look at yourselves and ask are you really up to the job!

I have supported this club for fifty years and apart from the Gunn fiasco this appointment has left me feeling the most underwhelmed ever!

I would like to say OTBC but I really feel that the current board do not deserve our support!

Of the 20 premier league clubs this season 14 of them believe have changed managers at least once in the last two years that''s also 70%. Basically a lot of managers don''t currently last very long experienced or otherwise. Stats can be twisted whatever the agenda.

Appreciate that point but to leave this season in charge to a man with no experience is beyond me. Sorry no axe to grind with Adams, but the board are unbelievable in making this appointment, the Champ''s is the hardest league to get out of so a more experienced man IMO was definitely needed. Yes make him assistant manager so he can see first hand what it takes but to make him the main man is indefensible!

Trouble is experienced managers guarantee nothing either. While not thrilled with the Adams appointment I personally thought the Mackay one being mooted would have been worse. We''ve also seen some experienced safe hands managers range from being extremely average to bloody awful, Rioch, Hughton and that complete tool Roeder for example. Experience might make the fans feel more at ease, but ultimately it''s going to come down to how well one individual can motivate and lead other individuals, the best managers I''ve seen at the club haven''t been that experienced.

I read somewhere that 100% of second time managers were first time managers at their previous clubs.

Mind you if clubs never appointed first time managers then managers as a group would quickly become an endangered species before finally becoming extinct. Dead as a Dodo in fact.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I read somewhere that 100% of second time managers were first time managers at their previous clubs.

Mind you if clubs never appointed first time managers then managers as a group would quickly become an endangered species before finally becoming extinct. Dead as a Dodo in fact.

[/quote]there would be no such species as managers cos none would have ever been in the appointed first place  , clubs would have to find someone else to select the team [:D]

Best thread in a while...lol

Maybe clubs should get clever and just have assistant managers and drop the whole first team manager thing altogether. Wonder whatvthe stats are for first time assistant managers.