Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Irish pair want out - do we let them go or stay?

Tip of the iceberg , once the fans have had a week or two of getting used to the joke managerial appointment you will start hearing of the better players that want out as well .

No reason for them to stay , they will know Adams cannot get promotion and if we try hold onto them against their wishes it really will turn into a nightmare .

Pilks has been good when fit but often injured. If he wants out the Keith O''neill comparison is spot on.

With Wes if he''s not willing to get back into things then again we may as well get a bit for him and look to the future.

Adam''s first big task as manager - try to persuade our best players (specifically these two) to stay.

We should have been in early and tried to get Albrighton plus cash from Villa for Wes. Then we could have flogged Pilks too.

Assuming RVW, Fer, Wes, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Bechio and Bassong leave - I cannot see how we would replace them all.

As Youth Manager Adams would not have been looking at other teams for potential signings through last season. We need to sign some quality, that also have some backbone - it will not be easy to identify and secure these players.

For me - players that want to go can leave if we get a good offer. If not I would be happy for some to rot in the reserves - I don''t want them to decide in December if we are top 6 that they want to stay though.

"Tip of the iceberg , once the fans have had a week or two of getting used to the joke managerial appointment you will start hearing of the better players that want out as well .

No reason for them to stay , they will know Adams cannot get promotion and if we try hold onto them against their wishes it really will turn into a nightmare"

Oh well, let''s just give up then....

Whilst Pilkington is undoubtly a class player, he''s two footed, hits a mean free kick, strikes the ball well, is big, strong and good in the air, for me there''s a huge question mark over his fitness. Whether or not he''s got the athleticism now to play week in week out in the Premiership after all those niggling injuries. Especially with the Murphy brothers coming through, and hopefully E Bennett and Redmond staying, we wouldn''t want to be too stacked in the winger department. I can honestly see the club chosing not to extend his contract.It''s a shame with Wes, after we dropped into League One he was one of the few who chose to stay, even if his agent could have got him a move back to the Championship, and he''s a unique player. But you have to build a team around him, and he''s 32 now. He''s clearly looking a move that gives him better long term security, and McNally (like Chelsea) isn''t prepared to give him that. Such a shame that the memories of him are getting soured..

Both are less effective than they were. It is difficult to be sure over Pilks as he has had so many injuries. Perhaps a good summer of recuperation could put these behind him. At his best he could be a match winner.

If the injuries are behind him, I would want him to stay.

We is slightly different. He struggled in the Premiership somewhat, and was less effective than he had been. Now in the Championship he should be able to be more influential. The problem with Wes is to know how to use him. He needs to be free to roam, but that can leave a hole in whatever position he is supposed to be playing. In a sense the whole side has to be built round him. (We had the same problem with Hux, but he was so good in attacking that he could upset them opposing team''s carefully arranged defence.) I suspect that he has had enough at CR, wants to Join Villa. How serious they are remains to be seen. I would not be upset if he left for a reasonable fee.

[quote user="Six Pack"]Adam''s first big task as manager - try to persuade our best players (specifically these two) to stay.[/quote]Sorry, SP, but you are merely the latest in this thread to go down the "persuade them to stay" line. Just don''t buy it . Adams, nor anyone else ,should not be in the business of ''persuading'' anyone to stay.If they do not want to play for Norwich City, then we should get rid. ASAP. Simple as.

Who exactly is chief scout advising Adams who to try and buy, in order to replace the 8-10 of the squad who will leave?

And will our new manager be an attraction to good quality players that we want to bring in?

Holt was a clear wantaway and hughton persuaded him to stay.

Adams has not shown that he actually appreciates quality players in principle or either we or pilks who both had the quality to win us points. If he wants them then its in his gift to try to get them to stay; evidence suggests he wont.

We need quality to have a good season, giving it away will only secure us in this league

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Six Pack"]Adam''s first big task as manager - try to persuade our best players (specifically these two) to stay.[/quote]

Sorry, SP, but you are merely the latest in this thread to go down the "persuade them to stay" line. Just don''t buy it . Adams, nor anyone else ,should not be in the business of ''persuading'' anyone to stay.

If they do not want to play for Norwich City, then we should get rid. ASAP. Simple as.
[/quote]

It all depends on what their problems are and who they are with. If it is all down to the previous management then a ''wipe the slate clean'' approach would be good, as they are quality players.

If it is down to the current management/board then get rid. The club doesn''t need sulkers around the place.

Don''t know where everyone''s got this idea that we''ll get decent money for Pilkington. He signed a three year deal in July 2011 with a 12 month optional extension. If the extension is signed it won''t increase his value by much unless he plays out of his skin.With his sick record I doubt he''d get much playing time to remind us why we bought him.As for Hoolahan he''s burnt his bridges here. No way back for him I''m afraid.

Should have sold pilks when he was worth £5 million to Newcastle or Stoke

As for hoolahan what the club has done for him he can work it right up his bum hole he ain''t worth a million

Pilks didnt get any time in the ''shop window'' v Turkey. He was not used.

We didnt pay much for him, he is talented, and he has a few years in him yet. I think the Club should play hardball with him, convince him that to stay, and play well , is his best option. He''s hardly played since Liverpool were ''interested'', so i doubt they , or any other big club would want him.

Prove yourself Pilks.

As for Wesley, he was Irelands MOM last night. I''d have one last go at getting him back onside, if he won''t, then feck him. Let him rot in the reserves, the clubs pays him remember....and it might serve as a cheap lesson to ''the others'', we''re financially stable and will make our own minds up regarding players.

Hoolahan has been brilliant for us during his time here but if he wants to go, let him. In football terms he''s getting old and if he''s not going to play he may as well be allowed to leave.

As far as I''m concerned, Pilkington can leave as well. Not particuarly good, not very committed but has left us with some good memories.

I would let them both go but I fear, as with our strikers, that we will not be able to realise the money we would like. I seem to recall rumours of a Swansea offer for Pilkington at £3m. a while back. Now, I think we would struggle for half that sum.

With Hooper and RVW, the numbers are obviously much bigger and the loss on disposal likewise. Factors which will doubtless influence their whereabouts this coming season.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]I would let them both go but I fear, as with our strikers, that we will not be able to realise the money we would like. I seem to recall rumours of a Swansea offer for Pilkington at £3m. a while back. Now, I think we would struggle for half that sum.

With Hooper and RVW, the numbers are obviously much bigger and the loss on disposal likewise. Factors which will doubtless influence their whereabouts this coming season.[/quote]With his contract expiring in July too right we''d struggle to get that...

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]With his contract expiring in July too right we''d struggle to get that...[/quote]We have the option to extend his contract for an extra year.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Pilks didnt get any time in the ''shop window'' v Turkey. He was not used.

We didnt pay much for him, he is talented, and he has a few years in him yet. I think the Club should play hardball with him, convince him that to stay, and play well , is his best option. He''s hardly played since Liverpool were ''interested'', so i doubt they , or any other big club would want him.

Prove yourself Pilks.[/quote]I don''t think he''s got anything to prove personally. I think he''s proved he''s class, just needs a break from the blooming injuries.

Lets not get too confused about these two, lots of people who probably do not go to Carrow Road have gone dewy eyed & got the rose tinted specs back on

The facts are Hoolihan has had 1 good game in the last 12 months and Pilkington has had 20 good games over the last 3 years

Neither would be missed if they moved on, we would just save on there not inconsiderable weekly wages

GOODBYE TO THE PAIR

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Both have become bad eggs, get rid and replace. Assombalonga from Peterborough is left footed and can play wing or up front. He can replace Pilkington.[/quote]

I doubt Pilkington wants to stay with us, so I would let him and Hoolahan go.

This Assombalonga could be quite a handful for opposition defences, worth consideration as a signing.