Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Irish pair want out - do we let them go or stay?

EDP reports Hoolighan has put in a 2nd transfer request following his failed attempt to leave in Jan and Pilkington is quoted as saying he will treat every game on the Irish tour as a shop window, must also be looking to go

Both have a year left on there contract and were not used by Adams in his 5 games in charge

Must have combined transfer value of £2/3M - do we cash in now & reinvest elsewhere if they are not even going to make the march day squad on a regular basis, or keep then as occasional backup & let the the pair leave on a free in 12 mths ?

As say wrong attitude, expensive fringe players

SELL TO HIGHEST BIDDER

Let them go. Hoolahan is too lightweight in many games and his attitude now makes his position untenable. I''d want about £1 million for him but if it''s Villa then that should be £2 million.

As for Pilkington, he''s a sick note and also appears to have an attitude problem. A minimum £3 million should be the asking price.

They are not the future will be happy to let them both go but can''t see them being worth more than 3 mil combined.

This is why we needed a new management team who were not contaminated with what has gone on at Colney. Retention of existing players as well as acquisition of new will both now be more challenging. So what do we do? The players have to be allowed to leave before the club is further destabilised. Let''s just hope they''re not followed by Olsson, Turner, Hooper and Snodgrass.

We need to make some space in the squad so we can start signing players from the likes of Doncaster Rovers and Leyton Orient, so I say get rid.

Let them go, lets hope they get some good performances in to raise the profile.

There is always going to be some sort of exodus associated with relegation, its no surprise that these two want to go, its been on the cards for a long time, bit unfair to try and lay the responsibility for this at the door of our new manager Highland.

Would like Pilkington to stay if there''s a way back from whatever situation has developed.

Both should be free to go if they want out, as should others if they havent got the stomach for getting us out off what they got us into. No one is irreplaceable - Pilks is good on his day but far too big a sicknote to carry, Wes is too lightweight too often.

I don''t necessarily agree with Highland Canary about it being more difficlult to retiain guys, continuation in some form isn''t a bad thing as both sides have full knowledge of what''s happened in the past. Getting new guys in might be more problematic with our management team, currently of one, having little/no experience...though I don''t doubt that players were being id''d and considered well in advance of the season end. As with everything else, we have to see how it all pans out.

get rid, only want players fully committed to the cause if we can get a little money all well and good

They''d both be handy players to have in this division and if Adams can persuade them to stay then I''d be happy.

its a shame, wes tore up the championship playing the diamond, but if he still wants to go then I would expect we get around £1, then about £4m for pilks (another shame as he''d be amazing in the championship, but he''s just a sick note)

Let them go...... One has sadly developed an attitude and the other has become todays Keith O''Neil.

Adams said he only wants players who want to play for the club, so anyone putting in a transfer can go, but at the right price !

Hoolahan was not a favourite when he first joined us. He was accused of being lightweight and one footed. He hardly scored and got injured in the Gunn season.

He did flourish under Lambert of that there is no doubt and weighed in with his share of goals.

Trouble with him now is he is still playing the head of a diamond role wherever he plays and it doesn''t work anymore.

Pilkington, I thought, was always a bit overrated but just like Lee Crofts, he scores an important goal and all of a sudden he is POTS material.

I would rather see Elliot Bennett stay than Pilkington and hopefully remain injury free.

Bristol nest wrote the following post at 26/05/2014 10:11 AM:

I am looking forward to watching Redmond and Josh Murphy play for us next season.

Subject

Me too Bristol, I''m really looking forward to next season, looking forward to going away again to, that will be a first for a long time.

I hope Pilkington stays. He spent 6 months badly injured before joining us, in fact the Huddersfield medics and his own determination did very well to even get him back playing, let alone in the Premiership.

I think he could be a big player in the Championship - he missed it out entirely when he joined us - if only he can stay fit. But like so many players who suffer a bad injury there seems to be a knock-on effect. When he get''s a knock it seems to take him a long time to get back to his best; but once he does he can be a big player for us, especially on the counter attack.

He perhaps speaks more publicly than others, and gives the impression of "rating himself". But don''t kid yourselves - every player in the squad will secretly be hoping somebody in the Premiership (or a European equivalent) will come in for them. For most of them it won''t happen and they''ll stay where they are. I think Pilkington will be one of them.

Adams apparently sat down and spoke to every player when he took charge before Fulham, I don''t think it''s a coincidence that these two never featured.

Presumably both are just looking to leave, so we should let them, at the right price.

I''m not sure a new manager would have made that much difference as I get the feeling McNally is just as much to blame if not more, at least in Hoolahans case, as anyone on the coaching staff in their eyes.

I''d love to have both in the team, Wes was my favourite player and exactly the sort of guy we need in the Championship, but only if they are fully committed to the cause, which it appears they are not.

Let them go Iv never understood the hysteria over hoolahan, very light weight gives away the ball to much and for a "creative player" doesn''t actually creat a lot, in the 12/13 season he played quite a few games for us and only created 2 key passes and 1 assist.

Pilks never really got going under Hughton With Injurys e.t.c so would be no big loss loosing him.

I''d be disappointed to see Pilkington go as he''s a good player. Yes, he''s had a lot of injuries, but that doesn''t necessarily go on forever. I didn''t want us to let go of James Vaughan for the same reason.

I would be quite happy if both went but I think some people on here are being very optimistic with the fees.

I reckon we would do well to get £3M for them both.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Nail on head by TIL1010, a few words sometimes sums things up![/quote]Spot on, sometimes less is more, many on here could learn from that

I 3rd that, Tilly has it spot on I think. We saw no Pilks, Hoolahan, Bassong and perhaps others I can''t think of in the final games - they''re all off surely. I expect he knew Fer wants to go as well, but only played him in some of those games because of his quality and we couldn''t risk leaving him out, committed or not. No RVW soon as our fate was sealed - think he''s off too, I''m sure of that.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Pilkington, I thought, was always a bit overrated but just like Lee Crofts, he scores an important goal and all of a sudden he is POTS material.

I would rather see Elliot Bennett stay than Pilkington and hopefully remain injury free.[/quote]Did you seriously just compare Pilks to Lee Croft????Much like what has happened with players like Fox and Surman, after an absence from the team they''ve suddenly become second rate players who were Champ level at best and L1 if you were honest - what a load of ballcocks!You compare Pilks to Benno and which of them scored 8 goals to the others 1 (and in less games), which made more succesful dribbles, more key passes and had a 34% cross accuracy rate (compared to the others 23%) - it wasn''t bloody Benno was it!I think some people have forgotten exactly how dangerous Pilks was in that first season in the prem, how he always looked like making something happen, and offered far more of a goal threat (both from crossing and directly) than pretty much anyone else in our entire team!Much like the rest of our attacking options, Pilks has suffered from the ridiculous system employed by Hughton, along with injury problems and then an apparent falling out (probably from not being picked even when those around him were doing f**k all).A fit Pilks is easily good enough for any side out of the top six in the prem, and if we can keep him fit and happy he''ll be absolutely lethal at this level.