Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

RvW and Adams

I simply do not see city writing off 8 million +. It s not our style, if we sell it''s always been at profit, and there isn''t any, currently, in the Wolf.

He will stay IMO with a view to attempting to increase his worth early season, and then sell.

For what it''s worth. I could see a Dutch club offering £5m for him easily.

Good players don''t become cr@p players overnight. But they can appear cr@p, in cr@p teams.

What disappoints me most about RVW was that towards the end he started playing like someone who didn''t care.

Same goes for Hooper.

Neither of them showed any fight.

I think Hooper felt he was always playing second fiddle to RvW which must have been as hard for him as it was for us to understand. And that is why we needed a manager not contaminated by the shambles of last season. Hooper should score goals for fun in the Championship. He would given a strong, new manager. I suspect however he''ll be playing elsewhere now.

I think we could £5-6m for him from a Dutch or Portugese club. I just cannot see how he will improve in the Championship though, I thought his major issue this year was the inability to deal with the more physical side of the game- that will only get worse in the Championship.

[quote user="GJP"]What disappoints me most about RVW was that towards the end he started playing like someone who didn''t care.

Same goes for Hooper.

Neither of them showed any fight.[/quote]

I don''t think there''s much doubt that they had lost confidence - and if the new manager showed no confidence in them either, as when he selected Elmander for the Arsenal game, it has left them with a big question mark over their heads.   Both have major decisions to make over the Summer. If either or both of them stay, it will show they mean business - and we should applaud that.   I don''t think the club would choose to offload them, so in any event - if they are still here they should get our full support.  

If we are to lose one of the two expensive strikers I would rather lose Hooper. RvW will prove that he is a good player. As Private Frazer said - Good players don''t become cr@p players overnight. But they can appear cr@p, in cr@p teams.

GJP wrote the following post at 24/05/2014 4:31 PM:

What disappoints me most about RVW was that towards the end he started playing like someone who didn''t care.

Same goes for Hooper.

Neither of them showed any fight.

GJP - how many times must it be written that the system they were playing in would have been enough to demoralise any forward in the Premiership, especially as they had been regularly scored goals before coming to us.

Think back, neither of them looked as if they didn''t care early in the season.

RvW has neither the physicality or technique to score goals in the Championship; one of the first tests for Adams is to have the stature to move him on regardless of any financial loss to the club.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]RvW has neither the physicality or technique to score goals in the Championship; one of the first tests for Adams is to have the stature to move him on regardless of any financial loss to the club.[/quote]

So it wasn''t the tactics or slow attacking play,that you have been moaning about for 2 seasons, that was to blame?

@Herman -- The ultimate responsibility for our relegation rests firmly with the former management team: for our tactics, for our (lack of) motivation; for our acquisitions and for our team selection. It would just be nice if the board''s objective was to attempt to return to the PL which is difficult to see given our new situation.

Well keeping someone like RVW, who scored shed loads in Championship equivalent leagues, would be seen as an attempt to return to the PL.

If it turns out that it wasn''t his confidence, tactics etc. and he is just piss poor, then get rid in January. We won''t make any money whether we flog him now or then. Best option is to give him a chance under new management and see what happens.

[quote user="St Georgey"]RVW would be battered all over the place in the Champs. He would be even more useless than last year. He showed nothing to suggest that we should do anything other than cash in on him.

Hooper will come good though. Should he stay.

Playing off someone like Amoebi I think he''d be lethal.

Throw in the Murphy twins and maybe even the odd cameo from Loza and I think we''d have goals in us.

But we need a big number 9, back up for Hooper, and a creative number 10 - as Wes will be gone[/quote]

Ameobi..r u avin a laugh?

[quote user="City 2nd"]I simply do not see city writing off 8 million +. It s not our style, if we sell it''s always been at profit, and there isn''t any, currently, in the Wolf.

He will stay IMO with a view to attempting to increase his worth early season, and then sell.
[/quote]If he''s going to increase his worth if he stays then he''ll be doing the job we gambled on which is scoring goals. Why then sell him ?

There''s no way he''ll stay after macnallys comments. Saying the signings didn''t improve the team and rvw went from a goal a game to a goal a season. He''s at least a stone too light for English football.

That is the way ultimately any manager is assessed. I would have been hopeful that Lennon would have being able to retain, and get the best out of Hooper and Snodgrass, such that we would have achieved automatic promotion. But let''s assume he failed in that and only achieved a play-off spot - would that be your measure of success for Adams?

Your a pretty good judge, you called it right all of last season. Your opinions then were based on watching performances home and away I think, if your view is mid table after watching the Adams team play 10 games then I will be worried.

At the moment though its all speculation on both our parts.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"] GJP - how many times must it be written that the system they were playing in would have been enough to demoralise any forward in the Premiership, especially as they had been regularly scored goals before coming to us. Think back, neither of them looked as if they didn''t care early in the season.[/quote]

It doesn''t need to be written any more times about the system and the service being no good. It''s been said enough. That''s why I didn''t want to say it again.

And while I can understand that is part of it you still have to give it your best shot on the pitch. Especially when you''re supposed to be fighting to avoid relegation. It might not have been a good season for you individually, you might not be too happy with the football/tactics but you''ve still got to put a shift in for the team.

Towards the end of the season RVW and Hooper simply did not play like players who wanted to give their all to keep Norwich City in the Premier League. We were in a fight and they didn''t fancy it.

I think RvW must be very glum over the last season after his success everywhere else. If I was in their shoes I''d put off the discussion over that for a few weeks so he can put a little emotional distance between himself and the season. If he really wants to make a success of the Premier League then his best bet is to stick it out this year and go for promotion. And despite the dire season he''s had, I don''t think it''s a fair reflection of his ability.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]I think RvW must be very glum over the last season after his success everywhere else. If I was in their shoes I''d put off the discussion over that for a few weeks so he can put a little emotional distance between himself and the season. If he really wants to make a success of the Premier League then his best bet is to stick it out this year and go for promotion. And despite the dire season he''s had, I don''t think it''s a fair reflection of his ability.[/quote] exactly, even if he then scored 20+ for us but we didn''t go up, he''d get a prem move anyway. I see little point loaning him out.

I think we''d be nuts to sell either RvW or Hooper. One of the advantages our finances allows us over most of the other other clubs in this division is the strength of our squad. If we go with just one or the other and he gets injured or loses form, then we are stuck with the kids.... we need both, and we need to add another striker to back up Becchio as target man - which might be Loza or a new signing - like a Holt or a Morrison :-)