Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

RvW and Adams

Is Ricky off? Adams'' non-committal answer on RvW''s future does lead me to think he won''t be here next season- can''t see that a conversation wouldn''t have already taken place. Wouldn''t be surprising given his omission in the final game, but I really do think he will be a success next year if we retain him (cue people complaining about his performances this season). The fundamental issue for RvW''s failings this season has been an inability to give him the right service. Hopefully, and I do mean hopefully, Neil Adams'' Norwich will be set up in a way that suits his game i.e. through balls into the channels, wingers getting in behind the oppo defence and cutting the ball back.

I fully agree with you and yeah, I think he probably is. Would be nice if wanted to stay and somewhat justify the fee but that is probably just a fantasy.

But would we want him? We spent £9 million on a guy that scored one goal, that didn''t hassle defenders or move much. We''d be much better off trying to move him on that loaning him out for a year or trying to bulk him up in the Championship.

I doubt RVW will be here next season. Either back to Holland or Portugal where football isn''t so intense as the Premiership. Isn''t just about service in his game, it''s space he can make abroad compared to here. Premier League isn''t his style, similar to other players.

RVW would be battered all over the place in the Champs. He would be even more useless than last year. He showed nothing to suggest that we should do anything other than cash in on him.

Hooper will come good though. Should he stay.

Playing off someone like Amoebi I think he''d be lethal.

Throw in the Murphy twins and maybe even the odd cameo from Loza and I think we''d have goals in us.

But we need a big number 9, back up for Hooper, and a creative number 10 - as Wes will be gone

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]But would we want him? We spent £9 million on a guy that scored one goal, that didn''t hassle defenders or move much. We''d be much better off trying to move him on that loaning him out for a year or trying to bulk him up in the Championship.[/quote]

And still he managed to move more than Hooper...

We need to move hime out, at the least on a season long loan, right now he is a distraction and its getting on my nerves. 

time to cut losses both for the club and player. He did not cut the mustard and even though the style did not suit his game he should have done better 6 or so at least given the chances i saw him miss. If we can recover £5m it will be a result

Absolutely need to hang onto him IMHO.Given the right supply and played in an attacking system, he can easily hit 15-20 goals a season.Try to think back and remember the guy who scored in the first game of the season, he was quick, hungry, looked composed, made good runs and took his goal extremely well, THAT is the RVW we signed, rather than the wreckage that Hughton made out of the guy in the space of a season...Give him back the confidence, play him correctly and with good support and he''ll more than prove that he was worth what we paid for him.

The reaction to that question certainly suggests he is off.

I think it is clear why Norwich City were able to buy Ricky for £8M and other, more attractive, Premiership sides didn''t.

Their scouts must have have enough concerns about his suitability for the Premier League which ours overlooked.

From the presser yesterday it looked very obvious that they don''t plan to use him next season.

Absolutely need to get rid IMOThe guy doesnt do anything well.Too many  excuses all season, sometimes you have to work and make it happen

I would imagine he''ll be loaned out for a year to find his form/recoup his value, then be sold next summer.

[quote user="splutcho"]I would imagine he''ll be loaned out for a year to find his form/recoup his value, then be sold next summer.[/quote]

Agree. Loaning out would be sensible, unless he shows up at the start of the next season willing to fight for his place and show real commitment to the cause.   I still think he could do well for us - but it depends on the kind of midfield and wing play we use.  After a break of a few weeks, he will have had time to assess his own abilities and attitude, come back fresh and prepared to give it another go under a more attacking manager.  But if Snodgrass is the main man on the right, I fear we will see more of the same kind of performances.  The guy needs quality service and balls played into space.

If RvW leaves, and it looks as if he may, he will be one of a few players of whom people will be asking "Why couldn''t he play like that for us?".

He, like so many other players, have had their game ripped to shreds by the previous manger.

In the last two years, how many of our players have improved?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]If RvW leaves, and it looks as if he may, he will be one of a few players of whom people will be asking "Why couldn''t he play like that for us?".

He, like so many other players, have had their game ripped to shreds by the previous manger.

In the last two years, how many of our players have improved?[/quote]

This is the only sensible reply on this thread !!!

Is it just coincidence that all the criticism comes from the plastics who rarely if ever have seen a game in real life ????

You know who you are !!

Its a good point that Yellow Wall makes- which of our playing assets have actually increased in value during Hughton''s tenure? I would argue Snodgrass, Olsson, Redmond and possibly Fer to some degree. I don''t wish to be uncharitable to Hughton, as I think he had his merits as a coach (cue outrage), but I don''t believe he was responsible for much of the value creation in relation to these players. It was more a case of them proving they could cope with Premier League football, which, in spite of our relegation, the above players did clearly demonstrate.

We''re in a good positron really. Someone either has to come in with 8m for him to cover our costs last year. Or he has to play well next season to engineer a move away. Anybody who signs him on last season''s performance as a striker for anywhere near 8m would be delusional. I really hope he stays to prove a point.

After meeting him a couple of times I''ve gleamed he''s a pretty nice, decent lad. I hope if he''s told more attacking football next year and to be our main man he''d stay. The Championship is below the Dutch/Portuguese leagues where he scored 15-20 regularly and I think if we play to his strengths in a 46 game season he''s more than capable of 30 goals.

I''d be doing everything possible to keep him

Loan Ricky out to recently promoted Cambridge Utd.......It''s an acceptable commute......He''ll need shin-pads made from Kevlar, but it''ll toughen the boy up.....

Where did he get this reputation for being a flouncy lightweight from? I''ve never seen him shirk from a physical battle. His problem was getting the wrong type of service then once he lost his confidence snatching at shots and trying to do too much on the ball outside the box. He might look like a member of a boyband but he''s not exactly weak

There is more space to be had in the Championship & RVW would benefit hugely from that. He seems a quick thinker - perhaps a bit too quick compared with some of his team mates who don''t seem to match his speed-of-thought. I noticed him checking back many, many times last season when it was clear he was anticipating a through-ball that was never going to arrive! NA is perfectly capable of rectifying that situation, but does he want to?

Citizen Journalist Foghorn wrote the following post at 24/05/2014 11:31 AM:

Indy_Bones: Try to think back and remember the guy who scored in the first game of the season.

You mean the one who touched the ball 8 times in 90 minutes, including the kick offs.

That perfectly sums up the slow, labourious system, completely alien to him, that he was being asked to play in.

He previously thrived on earlier balls played into dangerous places, not twenty passes before we played it back into our own half and then out to the right before getting a slow, powder puff cross to challenge for.

Physically he isn''t that awful, he just lacks the psychological elements to dominate two centre-halfs for 90 minutes in a physical confrontation.

You maybe have 1-2 seconds to pick him out for a finish, after that the defenders have recovered the ground and he then needs to fight his way through.

Only have to look at his only goal for us, picked out by Whittaker (albeit by accident) when in-between the two Everton centre-halfs and the result was a top-class header.

I''m not saying it was ONLY the service; things like confidence and adapting to the league + country would have contributed too. But when our main supply line is a fairly slow winger who likes high, hanging crosses, and our secondary supply line was a brash teenager who regularly smashed his cross out for a throw-in, he was hardly going to thrive.

If he wants to stay and fight for us, I''m 100% behind it. Whether he''ll be allowed to is another matter entirely.

The only realistic option for Wolfswinkel is for him to go somewhere in Europe on loan for a season to see if he can get going again so we get a bit of the transfer back!

I still maintain he is a good player but a combination of at least 3 superb saves made from his efforts, the ball generally not dropping for him, getting injured, playing in a unbalanced team which was poor in the final 3rd of the pitch not playing to his strengths, Snodgrass nicking the ball of him before missing the penalty against Villa all contrived to completely shatter his confidence!

He has a chance to rehabilitate himself by staying and scoring regularly in the Champs but if he goes nobody will ever give him another chance in the Premier League. Career suicide if he leaves IMO.

[quote user="AJ"]We''re in a good positron really. Someone either has to come in with 8m for him to cover our costs last year. Or he has to play well next season to engineer a move away. Anybody who signs him on last season''s performance as a striker for anywhere near 8m would be delusional. I really hope he stays to prove a point.[/quote]Why?Sometimes you break even or make a profit on a player, sometimes you make a loss. Over the years Norwich have made a huge amount of profit on players. If we''ve been sold a lemon this time so what ?From his body language last season it''s clear he''s far from happy so we may as well cut our losses. If the Club feels he''s reached the end of his time at Carrow Rd then take the millions lost as one of those things and get him off the wage bill. I''ll be surprised if he''s not being paid at least a couple of million a season so that would be even more money down the drain if we kept him on more in hope than judgement.