Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Sell on Clause for Marshall transfer ?

Christ! £15m! Ruddy has done so much more to warrant that sort of fee, Marshall has had one good top flight season and he''s worth £15m?

I hope we did put a clause in, but our board were so incompetent back then i''d be suprised if we did! If we had say 20% of the profit, that''s be nearly £3m into the coffers, not too shabby!

Perhaps we''re massively undervaluing Ruddy who is younger and has more top flight experience?

Adding to that, he conceeded 74 goals last season! I understand it isn''t just him, but how is he even considered any better than Ruddy?

No way in hell that Arsenal will sign Marshall for £15m.

Wenger likes keepers who are good with the ball at their feet and quick off the line, neither are aspects of Marshall''s games. Also, Marshall doesn''t even count as a ''home-grown'' player. It''s the annual ''Arsenal to sign keeper X'' story - which have never one been right.

We signed him in the Neil Doncaster days, very doubtfull they were savvy enough to put a sell on clause in the deal. Doncaster & Munby couldnt run a bath let alone a football club.

That makes my favourite, Fraser Forster who I''ve always rated above Ruddy worth 20 million + then !!

Another question might be why we NEVER sell a player for big money.

The likes of Swansea and Southampton do and that is money to reinvest in players we just don''t ever have. We just move players on.

For me this is just a failure to speculate to accumulate and we never build up player assets. The last example I can think of when we did was Dean Ashton.

On the other hand we are very good at spunking away money on mediocre players.

Along with frittering away our Premier League status this poor recruitment is a major area we need to improve in.

Good point Rudolph - we haven''t had a top drawer player since Ashton and the best of our home grown talent is Chris Martin. Why, indeed?

Next year could be the chance to turn this round, if we can move on some of the deadwood and perhaps, just perhaps, some of the youngsters prove to be up for the job.

Roeder decimated the palying staff, but this also shows waht a poor judge of a player Lambert was.

We sold Earnshaw for approx £3.5m and replaced him for £800k Jamie Cureton. I feel now times will change, we now have a number of players who would be in demand and could get nice fees for and we dont have to pay off debts with the fee received.

Lambert spent very little and got 100% from his players. On top of that we were a team unit which makes ordinary players much better. Players were also clearly much fitter.

Hughton spent a lot, and our team wasn''t as good as the sum of its parts. He devalued expensive strikers by his tactics and froze out other playing assets.

Worthington wasted money post relegation. It is Neil Adams and David McNally''s first and biggest task not to let this happen again.

[quote user="BigFish"]

Good point Rudolph - we haven''t had a top drawer player since Ashton and the best of our home grown talent is Chris Martin. Why, indeed?

Next year could be the chance to turn this round, if we can move on some of the deadwood and perhaps, just perhaps, some of the youngsters prove to be up for the job.

Roeder decimated the palying staff, but this also shows waht a poor judge of a player Lambert was.

[/quote]What!?Lambert achieved back to back promotions with a squad that was mainly players he had signed from the lower leagues, and quite a few were former non-league ones.If you ask me, the ability to pick out players such as those shows excellent judgement.