Sign in to follow this  
St Georgey

Bowkett

The spiel that flows from that man''s mouth is sickening.

McNally stooped to depths at the end of last season with the best fans in the world and relegation worse than death nonsense. But Bowkett''s sheer lies about scouring Europe plunges our hierarchy to even lower depths.

Those in charge of our club treat us fans with a real condescending contempt. Like anyone is honestly going to buy the fable that we scoured Europe and the best bet was Neil Adams!? No disrespect to Neil, I hope he comes good, I really do. But on the slightest off chance that Bowkett or the board read this forum then please, dear god, cut out the overblown guff and let''s have a bit of honesty. Us fans really aren''t as stupid as you seem to think we are.

Like I said - I hope Neil comes good. The Youth Cup win, coupled with an attacking philosophy and the love of the club is better explanation about why he should get the job

than lies about scouring Europe and there being no better option.

[quote user="St Georgey"]The spiel that flows from that man''s mouth is sickening.

McNally stooped to depths at the end of last season with the best fans in the world and relegation worse than death nonsense. But Bowkett''s sheer lies about scouring Europe plunges our hierarchy to even lower depths.

Those in charge of our club treat us fans with a real condescending contempt. Like anyone is honestly going to buy the fable that we scoured Europe and the best bet was Neil Adams!? No disrespect to Neil, I hope he comes good, I really do. But on the slightest off chance that Bowkett or the board read this forum then please, dear god, cut out the overblown guff and let''s have a bit of honesty. Us fans really aren''t as stupid as you seem to think we are.

Like I said - I hope Neil comes good. The Youth Cup win, coupled with an attacking philosophy and the love of the club is better explanation about why he should get the job

than lies about scouring Europe and there being no better option.[/quote]Going to repeat myself from another thread. We promoted an FA Youth Cup winning Youth Manager with little experience at senior level  to first team manager once before. Dave Stringer was his name. Sometimes experience isn''t the be all and end all and he offers a number of critical advantages over all the other people who were in the mix, not least the fact that Norwich wasn''t just a place to go if he couldn''t get a job somewhere else.

You could tell he was clearly rattled by Stuart Jarrold''s question posed to McNally about a lack of ambition, as he butted in and then went on that ramble about scouring Europe. People are claiming a lack of ambition for a reason! Don''t try and cover it up and then ramble on about challenging for European football in the Prem.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="St Georgey"]The spiel that flows from that man''s mouth is sickening.

than lies about scouring Europe and there being no better option.[/quote]Going to repeat myself from another thread. We promoted an FA Youth Cup winning Youth Manager with little experience at senior level  to first team manager once before. Dave Stringer was his name. Sometimes experience isn''t the be all and end all and he offers a number of critical advantages over all the other people who were in the mix, not least the fact that Norwich wasn''t just a place to go if he couldn''t get a job somewhere else.[/quote]

Using stringer is not relevant that was 30 years ago

Football has moved on a bit since then

He shouldn''t have been given the chance, they clearly looked nowhere, let alone scouring Europe,utter nonsense

I honestly don''t know what he is expected to say.

For a start he said they did a review of those markets, review could mean anything and the journalist, if he was half decent, could have pressed him on exactly what "review" meant. He also said they were benchmarking Neil against the other candidates available.

The question about ambition was already answered he could have said nothing but chose to reiterate the board''s commitment for NCFC to be at the highest level our finances allow.

You may view NA as the cheap option, the board and other supporters don''t. Of course they are going to put a positive spin on it whether NA was first choice or not.

[quote user="Mickdundee"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="St Georgey"]The spiel that flows from that man''s mouth is sickening.

than lies about scouring Europe and there being no better option.[/quote]Going to repeat myself from another thread. We promoted an FA Youth Cup winning Youth Manager with little experience at senior level  to first team manager once before. Dave Stringer was his name. Sometimes experience isn''t the be all and end all and he offers a number of critical advantages over all the other people who were in the mix, not least the fact that Norwich wasn''t just a place to go if he couldn''t get a job somewhere else.[/quote]

Using stringer is not relevant that was 30 years ago

Football has moved on a bit since then

He shouldn''t have been given the chance, they clearly looked nowhere, let alone scouring Europe,utter nonsense[/quote]Why does the date make it not relevant?

oh dearyet another ragbag of lost lost logins and closet binnersthis time claiming the the board are lyingnever mind that that idea would require deceit and falsification of minuted documents by ALL of the board and by the club secretary - to what end ?to fool the poor downtrodden Norwich ''fans''is this best thse cretins can come up with ?

I hope Neil Adams does well but nothing will ever convince me that he was at the top of the list. It is quite plain to me that he was the fallback option and for whatever reason we were forced to exercise that option.

I''m with City 1st on this. (there''s a first time for everything).   The cretinising that is going on about this appointment is embarrassing.   Of course other candidates were considered.   The whole ridiculous spouting, wailing and gnashing of teeth is just typical of the unrealistic expectations of some of our supporters (and a few binners trying to stir it up).  

Adams went through an interview process.  Several candidates were considered.  Plenty of research will have gone into other possible people, British or European or from wherever.    Adams came out of the process the best and got the job.   McNally said no other candidate was offered the job, he wasn''t second or third on the list - so - no problemo.  

ricardo wrote the following post at 23/05/2014 6:37 PM:I hope Neil Adams does well but nothing will ever convince me that he was at the top of the list. It is quite plain to me that he was the fallback option and for whatever reason we were forced to exercise that option.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I don''t think anyones arguing that he was first choice, its more about were we really forced to make this decision. I would''ve thought Adams was only on the shortlist for decency after being in charge last season. If we didn''t get anyone on the shortlist, then we should''ve made another one with other candidates, I still don''t get how this man has been given the job. They actually chose him to get us back up to the prem. I''m in disbelief. There are actual managers out there.

Neil Adams is emotionally intelligent and tactically astute. He not only knows the club, he truly understands ''the set up'' here too. Few, if any throughout Europe can match what he brings to the party. Providing he has the right players available, come August his personal attributes will give him a huge head start. We''ll need a few early wins to set the momentum - and I''m confident it''ll happen!

The fact no one else was offered the job is most likely because their prime target(s) said they were no longer interested.Its fairly obvious from the timing that they wanted Lennon and he said No without even being interviewed.Press reports today also saying Mackay also said he was no longer interested. Quite possibly because he is lined up to replace Lennon.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]But surely City 1st when you read or heard that surely you must have at least raised an eyebrow just a tadge?[/quote]That the board were lying, yes

Or if you mean by the terms of reference the board were offering there was no one available ie prepared to accept those terms then yes I believe what is said, as I cannot get my head around the idea that directors in senior positions would want to have a proven lie held against them for teh rest of their careers.Unfortunately that kind of rational thought doesn''t equate with the shrieking and wailing that has taken over much of the forum.Most of which appears to be from complete ''unknowns'' - names raked up from years and years ago.I doubt there is a huge number of saddoes who have kept a long lost password, but a few with a grudge against our club. And most likely an even bigger grudge when we spank their impoverished and sorry little backsides .... yet again.

[quote user="ricardo"]I hope Neil Adams does well but nothing will ever convince me that he was at the top of the list. It is quite plain to me that he was the fallback option and for whatever reason we were forced to exercise that option.[/quote]Ricardo, as far as I am aware the club haven''t seriously tried to claim Adams was top of the list. They have said the job wasn''t offered to anyone else, but that is semantics. Strictly speaking I don''t doubt it wasn''t formally offered to Mackay, but if the talks had gone better (ie if Mackay had been keener) it would have been. And there may well have been an informal offer or proposal. And today''s comments from Bowkett about Adams'' attributes making him the top choice are just words. All that means is Adams was the top choice of those who hadn''t already ruled themselves out.

Norfolk Mustard wrote the following post at 23/05/2014 7:22 PM:

Neil Adams is emotionally intelligent and tactically astute.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Untrue, however he does seem to make changes during the game, so at least he knows that he sets up the team wrong

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]I hope Neil Adams does well but nothing will ever convince me that he was at the top of the list. It is quite plain to me that he was the fallback option and for whatever reason we were forced to exercise that option.[/quote]Ricardo, as far as I am aware the club haven''t seriously tried to claim Adams was top of the list. They have said the job wasn''t offered to anyone else, but that is semantics. Strictly speaking I don''t doubt it wasn''t formally offered to Mackay, but if the talks had gone better (ie if Mackay had been keener) it would have been. And there may well have been an informal offer or proposal. And today''s comments from Bowkett about Adams'' attributes making him the top choice are just words. All that means is Adams was the top choice of those who hadn''t already ruled themselves out.[/quote]It sounded to me that Bowkett was trying to put the best gloss on it that he could. That is his job after all and I can quite see why he did it. However the fact remains that you can''t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.The whole saga has been a massive disappointment to most people (barring those that took the 25-1). We are where we are, and in retrospect it is no surprise that the prime candidates felt they could do better by waiting for bigger fish to come calling.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]I hope Neil Adams does well but nothing will ever convince me that he was at the top of the list. It is quite plain to me that he was the fallback option and for whatever reason we were forced to exercise that option.[/quote]Ricardo, as far as I am aware the club haven''t seriously tried to claim Adams was top of the list. They have said the job wasn''t offered to anyone else, but that is semantics. Strictly speaking I don''t doubt it wasn''t formally offered to Mackay, but if the talks had gone better (ie if Mackay had been keener) it would have been. And there may well have been an informal offer or proposal. And today''s comments from Bowkett about Adams'' attributes making him the top choice are just words. All that means is Adams was the top choice of those who hadn''t already ruled themselves out.[/quote]It sounded to me that Bowkett was trying to put the best gloss on it that he could. That is his job after all and I can quite see why he did it. However the fact remains that you can''t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.The whole saga has been a massive disappointment to most people (barring those that took the 25-1). We are where we are, and in retrospect it is no surprise that the prime candidates felt they could do better by waiting for bigger fish to come calling.[/quote]Precisely. Some fans seem not to understand that it is no good us having someone top of our list if we are not top of theirs. And to put the Adams decision in perspective, by showing how limited the choice can be, consider Nottingham Forest. They are about to start their 16th season outside the Premier League. having in that time gone through at least 14 managers.They have recently chosen a 15th to try for promotion. With Forest being, by any measure, a bigger and wealthier club than Norwich City you would think they could attract some top-notch candidates. Their choice? Stuart Pearce. Whose one spell in club management ended in him being fired seven years ago.

McNally wanted Malky. But the Board wouldn''t shell out for him. He wanted more than Hughton was on in the Prem.

So they turned to Adams.

There''s plenty of justification for Adam''s appointment. In some ways I''m pleased. Genuinely.

But let''s not pretend - like Bowkett - that Adam''s was the best available option in Europe.

There was no need for Bowkett to try and spin and dress it up in those terms. In my opinion he made himself look a fool and us fans are not stupid, we know why Adams is their man. Yes he has his merits. But the bottom line is he''s cheaper. And no, he''s not the best available option in Europe, Bowkett.

[quote user="St Georgey"]And no, he''s not the best available option in Europe, Bowkett.[/quote]

How would you know who is best for Norwich?  How do any of us know what is best for Norwich? How do you know the board haven''t been looking far and wide since Adams was appointed six weeks ago?Why can''t people just accept that Adams was the best available candidate, all things considered?

LDC - I hope Adams proves to be the right pick. There were some promising signs in his five games in charge; five tough games, with a squad short of confidence.

He also knows our youth players inside out and has had more success with them than any youth manager in recent times.

I''m largely happy with giving Adams an extended chance.

But what I''m not happy with is Bowkett trying to give the fans the impression we''ve been scouring Europe and there''s no one better out there.

Zola, Lennon, Mackay, Hoddle, many many others are better qualified and have more experience.

Yes, Adams may be a better fit for what the Board are looking for, but just come out and say that. Don''t start rambling on about searching around Europe.

Every fan on this board knows there are managers out there with far more experience and success than Neil Adams.

The bottom line is our Board don''t want to pay for them.

My laboured point is that I''m sick of McNally and Bowkett trying to dress things up and spin them. It''s arrogant of them and condescending to the even moderately intelligent fans amongst us.

I know it''s their job to get us excited etc and try and make it sound better than it is. But I wish they''d just pipe down a bit and give the dramatics a rest.

Neil Adams is not the best available Manager in Europe.

St Georgey gets its City 1st.........now, I am certainly one of the most pro City Board supporters on this board and yet even I raised a slow eyebrow, not because I thought Bowkett or the Board are lying, but by the under pressure, justify our decision type comment made about scouring Europe. It really wasnt necessary, its enough to say they have worked tirelessly, interviewed several candidates and are very happy that NA is the best man for the job, isnt it?   That said, if they couldnt find a candidate better than NA in Europe, I would like to know if they also looked outside of Europe, South America maybe, Asia?    I have said for years that a small weakness of our Board and the club in general is the external communications and PR, and this was another small example......other than that, I am very satisfied with them and trust them.

St Georgey gets its City 1st.........now, I am certainly one of the most pro City Board supporters on this board and yet even I raised a slow eyebrow, not because I thought Bowkett or the Board are lying, but by the under pressure, justify our decision type comment made about scouring Europe. It really wasnt necessary, its enough to say they have worked tirelessly, interviewed several candidates and are very happy that NA is the best man for the job, isnt it?   That said, if they couldnt find a candidate better than NA in Europe, I would like to know if they also looked outside of Europe, South America maybe, Asia? But seriously...... I have said for years that a small weakness of our Board and the club in general is the external communications and PR, and this was another small example......other than that, I am very satisfied with them and trust them.

Probably 3 reasons why Neil Adams was their choice: 1. "Better" candidates were not available - I have not seen too many mentioned on here that were certs to get us promoted!2. "Better" candidates demands (financial or otherwise) were not within the Boards agreement3. Neil Adams really did tick all or most of the boxesWhy should the Board not put some spin on their decision? It gives confidence to Neil Adams as well.Backing him with a good playing budget will maybe appease the "supporters" who feel cheated by the Board and perhaps we can get a decent start to the Champs season with some attacking football

I''m a little bit confused as to why everyone is determined that the board appointed Neil because he''s cheaper than the other options. Realistically, a manager''s salary compared to player acquisition and wages, is absolute peanuts. At club''s that are not destitute, I doubt that the salary of the potential manager is prohibitive very often.

The statement was made to explain the unexpected delay in announcing a new manager. I am not sure whether "scoured" was their word, but given the time I imagine that they looked only at lists of managers available. It''s also quite possible that they, or Chesters, began looking as soon as Hughton left, which was in April.

Are you saying that they were lying through their teeth? It is difficult to see what they gained by lying. Or are you saying that they were exaggerating - "We had a look to see who was available"?

Whatever the case, it''s over, and for good or ill the decision has been made. Let''s get on with supporting the new manager and his support staff. Raking over the coals may make you feel better, but it doesn''t help much.

Like others I hope Adams does well.

But am I the only person to think it''s surprising that we''ve appointed someone whose most senior position, at the age of 48, was coaching the U18s?

He might have ambition and desire now but I think it must have emerged relatively recently.

I dont think the club were considering the cost when appointing a new manager, sure there will be some who will be out of our range, but really dont think they would simply go for the "cheapest option". They have yet to appoint NA''s senior coaching team and a DoF if they go that route, the overall cost of which could well be more than they paid the previous management and coaching team. As for NA''s previous experience, sure its a little surprising, but as many have pointed out before, similar appointments have been made previously both at our club and others and been a success.....why not NA......lets all get behind him regardless........would be fantastic if he is a big success and proves all his doubters wrong, including myself.......absolutely fantastic.

Bowlers didn''t say they''d scoured Europe, he said they''d reviewed the markets in Europe, which is totally different, that wouldn''t just involve looking at available candidates but also the available opportunities within those markets and historical performance of people transferring their skills from those markets into the English second tier, which in style and substance is a world away from ligue 1 or the bundesliga. So yes, there maybe managers with better CV''s in those markets but that doesn''t mean that their experience will make them a success in the championship (not that I''m saying NA has that tick either but at least he''s been exposed to it and had visibility of the league and teams therein for a while).