Sign in to follow this  
JB

Do we get a bad deal for the sale of our players because we are who we are?

Just to raise a point of discussion really, but does anyone think that we would get offered less for our players, in part because people see us as "Little Norwich?"

For example, if Ruddy was to be sold, would somebody offer a club, say Cardiff, more money if he played for them rather than us?

I think on the whole, we do not get a good price for players that we have sold. I am sure at least a few people would think we have let players go for less than their worth.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Do we always get a bad deal when we sell players?

[/quote]

And in response to this, surely this is asking the same question as me

[quote user="JB"]I think on the whole, we do not get a good price for players that we have sold. I am sure at least a few people would think we have let players go for less than their worth.[/quote]

Like who for example? I can''t think of the last transfer out of the club I felt was undervalued.

[quote user="JB"]I think on the whole, we do not get a good price for players that we have sold. I am sure at least a few people would think we have let players go for less than their worth.[/quote]

Which players are you talking about?

Ok. One example is Ayala. He went to ''Boro for £350,000 In my view, for a player who is supposed to have been a hot prospect with a lot of talent at such a young age, this figure is peanuts. I totally understand he didnt play very much here but I still think he was worth more. If he played for someone else, I can''t help but think more money would have exchanged hands whether or not it was a weak decision from our side, or other clubs seeing us as a bit of a joke and taking the mick.

I don''t mean every transfer, just on a general on the whole note. I mean, Holt for £2m was reasonable business in my belief.

[quote user="JB"]Ok. One example is Ayala. He went to ''Boro for £350,000 In my view, for a player who is supposed to have been a hot prospect with a lot of talent at such a young age, this figure is peanuts. I totally understand he didnt play very much here but I still think he was worth more. If he played for someone else, I can''t help but think more money would have exchanged hands whether or not it was a weak decision from our side, or other clubs seeing us as a bit of a joke and taking the mick. I don''t mean every transfer, just on a general on the whole note. I mean, Holt for £2m was reasonable business in my belief.[/quote]

We''d spent the best part of two years loaning Ayala out, it seems to me that asking a big fee for him wouldn''t have worked and £350K wasn''t that bad, one of those transfers that seemed to be fair to both clubs and the player involved.

for several seasons now we have been in a strong position in the transfer market, no debts, no pressure to sell and an growing club.

That meant we could keep hold of the players we wanted and only really let go those we felt were not up to scratch; most left at the end of their contracts and so no fee was due or young players who never quite met prem potential, like smith & ayala.

Prior to that we were fire selling players - such as marshall - to balance the books, that drives down prices.

Is suspect we will get good value for any sold players we chose to let go.

For the Ayala deal, look how we got Ruddy...

As for selling players, we''ve not sold any of our "good" players for at least 5 years now (since we got relegated to League 1) I don''t think we''ll know how bad a deal we''ll get for this lot (if any do leave) until it happens.

I thought the same after seeing Marshall linked away for £15m. Seems a ridiculous sum! Maybe Ruddy is actually worth that though? He''s a keeper that would easily hold his own at a top 10 prem club and we have no pressure to sell (he is happy and under contract and we''re not skint in the slightest).

The only thing now against us is the ticking timebomb we have of when we will get back to the top flight. Do we sell now if we get a decent offer for our better players or do we gamble, try keep them to maximise our chances of an instant return but leaving us vulnerable to being poorer (and in need of transfer money) and more vulnerable to losing our better players on a free.

Another thing is assessing the ability of these players. Is RvW going to show last year was a blip and bang in 30 goals next year or is he going to be just as poor in the championship and have his value decrease even more?

I personally think the time to twist is next summer as opposed to this. This year I hope we try retain every player we went down with that will keep a professional attitude (some unhappy ones, we can make a deal with and say we''ll let them go if we don''t go up. It''s completely understandable that some of them will want PL footy, doesn''t mean they are unprofessional or have a bad attitude).

If we fail to go up, we then do the easier selling. If we do sell this year, I hope it''s equally as silly money quoted as the Marshall deal. I''m talking Fer - £12m, Ruddy - £15m, RvW - £what we paid! etc.

I personally believe that selling Rob Green for £1.5m was a seriously good deal for West Ham, and a very poor deal for us. Green was in the England squad at the time. Considering Sunderland signed Craig Gordon for £9m the summer after, £1.5m was nothing.

[quote user="Brentwood Yellow"]I personally believe that selling Rob Green for £1.5m was a seriously good deal for West Ham, and a very poor deal for us. Green was in the England squad at the time. Considering Sunderland signed Craig Gordon for £9m the summer after, £1.5m was nothing.[/quote]

Contract was expiring the summer after I believe. We gambled keeping him a bit and then when it was apparent we weren''t getting promoted that season, (and were under debt pressures) there was little point keeping him only to lose him in the summer.

[quote user="Brentwood Yellow"]I personally believe that selling Rob Green for £1.5m was a seriously good deal for West Ham, and a very poor deal for us. Green was in the England squad at the time. Considering Sunderland signed Craig Gordon for £9m the summer after, £1.5m was nothing.[/quote]

That probably says more about how badly Sunderland were being managed that Norwich''s transfer dealings.

Rubbish is perhaps a bit harsh, but average Championship defender. Most clubs in the Championship are skint, we paid £300,000 for Crofts, a similar amount for Hoolahan. Says more about how broke clubs outside of the Premier League are.

I''ve found over the last few years the club have often stated an "undisclosed fee" as the transfer price for players bought and sold by the club so it''s essentially quite difficult to evaluate how good a deal we get from our transfers.The last few seasons have shown a few things though, firstly our status as a Premier League club has meant we haven''t needed to sell our best players and so most leaving have been of relatively low quality as we shipped out players bought in our League One / Championship period and secondly, being in the premier league for a few years brings plenty of money but not much of an increase in status.Our summer signings last year indicated that. Without naming names we evidently had a lot of money to burn on new talent but didn''t have the prestige to bring in players of Premier League standard. We therefore tried to bring in players to raise our status in the game (using money that was probably better spent on a bigger stadium to improve the perception of being a "big" club before spending big money) but ended up spending over the odds on average players who thought they were great players and often played is if they were doing the club a favour by wearing a Norwich shirt.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Rubbish is perhaps a bit harsh, but average Championship defender. Most clubs in the Championship are skint, we paid £300,000 for Crofts, a similar amount for Hoolahan. Says more about how broke clubs outside of the Premier League are.[/quote]

I would do unspeakable, unforgivable things for 300k :P It says more about how utterly insane PL finances are!

[quote user="JB"]I think on the whole, we do not get a good price for players that we have sold. I am sure at least a few people would think we have let players go for less than their worth.[/quote]Going back to the days when football transfer fees were disclosed we very rarely lost money on players we bought and sold.Over the years we''ve made many millions of profit.

Transfer fees depend heavily on how much time a player had left on his contract so it''s meaningless to say X went for a lot more than Y. Just look at what we paid for Snoddy compared to heat Leeds originally wanted,

When a player has less than a year to go the price drops sharply.

It has been some time since a major player as transferred out to a big club, so we do not know how far the Board would roll over and be cheated. I suspect that McN and the Board are made of sterner stuff. At the Press Conference with Bowkett, McN and Adams, both the two non-players said very pointedly that there will have to be savings, but we do not need to sell.

If they maintain this stance, and even if the would-be buyers put pressure, I hope that we stand firm for a true value. I was encouraged to read that Wet Spam have given up on trying to get Olsson and are now looking at a LB at ManU. If our Board resisted the Londoners, I am encouraged.